GAME DAY - TIGES V SWANS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - TIGES V SWANS

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
I remember last year when Hawthorn smashed us by 32 points in round 3, the media were going on about 'blueprints' and how Clarko's men were 'true contenders'.
We know how the story ended :cupgold

There is no doubt Dimma needs to tinker with a few things, as he did last year with the 2020 version of the game.
But ultimately we will be ok and primed for August and September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
So some people think its our typical early season lack of conditioning due to the unavoidable limited preparation, others think we need to adjust to the new precision kick - uncontested marking game that sHocking has manufactured. Or perhaps it's a bit of both? I hope its just the former. Dimma didn't seem at all phased in his presser which was a positive sign to me.

One thing I'm excited about, Dimma is forced to play the kids - and that has always worked out well for us in the past.

Reactions: 6 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
R2 2018 lost to Crows by 36, R2 2019 lost to Pies by 44, R3 lost to Giants by 49 pts, R2 2020 drew with the Pies, R3 lost to Hawks by 34, R 4 lost to Saints by 26.
Get a grip guys. Cast you mind back to those games and remember all the doom and gloom. Nothing to see here. We do not want to be playing our best footy yet. If we can turn half way at 6 and 5 I will be happy.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
R2 2018 lost to Crows by 36, R2 2019 lost to Pies by 44, R3 lost to Giants by 49 pts, R2 2020 drew with the Pies, R3 lost to Hawks by 34, R 4 lost to Saints by 26.
Get a grip guys. Cast you mind back to those games and remember all the doom and gloom. Nothing to see here. We do not want to be playing our best footy yet. If we can turn half way at 6 and 5 I will be happy.
What’s this ridiculous common sense you speak TM :))

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Sydney started their preseason training on the 7th Dec.
When did we start ours? Think we may have eased our way back in
Sydney had a big head start

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Too hot for footy, game should have been abandoned
Not a surprising call from a man sitting inside swilling his beer in the comfort in the Ryder room :) .

Maybe our players took that soft attitude into the game;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not a surprising call from a man sitting inside swilling his beer in the comfort in the Ryder room :) .

Maybe our players took that soft attitude into the game;)
I think it was a very sensible move , a very refreshing day and great company A5749BC2-4E6F-4D72-8A44-51BEF4937517.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Loved Dimma's post-match. We've enjoyed seeing our team take away the opposition's ability to play their game a lot over the past few years. Today, Sydney successfully made us play below our best. How did they take away our game?

"We'll learn from this" isn't an empty phrase.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Loved Dimma's post-match. We've enjoyed seeing our team take away the opposition's ability to play their game a lot over the past few years. Today, Sydney successfully made us play below our best. How did they take away our game?

"We'll learn from this" isn't an empty phrase.
We don't need to "learn from this". We already know what's required.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
We don't need to "learn from this". We already know what's required.
Yeah but I do think we need some readjustment. There is no doubt the game is different with these new rules. It’s a much less contested game; seems very bruise free. That’s not the game we’ve set ourselves for over past 4 years. Not sure whether the game will stay this way for the rest of the season but we will need to make some changes to the way we play if it does.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Nah, the ducklings didn't play richmond football. We were weak and lazy and let the do as they pleased. Most teams would have beaten us today. We were outnumbered at most contests and our intensity and energy was very low.

Other teams have worked us out.Looked disinterested and lazy with woeful foot skills.Time to get some new faces in.

It all comes down to why we didn't pressure?

1. We were lazy
2. They found a hole in our game

If it were a couple of players then you could argue laziness, but it was widespread, particularly in our midfield. Short couldn't find an opening up the field. Was he being lazy or was Sydney causing that? Was Dusty lazy on the day?

It's gotta be game plan. I wish I knew what was happening, but it seems clear the AFL commentators don't have a clue what the coaches or players are trying to do, so it's difficult for supporters to see what's really behind these performances. But the laziness explanation reminds me of Geelong supporters in recent years: "nah, it's not the way Richmond played, we were just lazy and below our best for some reason" - every Geelong supporter 2017-2020. Let's stay away from that as much as possible!

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I remember last year when Hawthorn smashed us by 32 points in round 3, the media were going on about 'blueprints' and how Clarko's men were 'true contenders'.
We know how the story ended :cupgold

There is no doubt Dimma needs to tinker with a few things, as he did last year with the 2020 version of the game.
But ultimately we will be ok and primed for August and September.

Same in 2019 when Collingwood beat us by 44 points in round 2.

I went back to check how much scoring has increased this year compared to 2019:

Round 3, 2019: 23.92 goals per game.
Round 3, 2021: 24.875 goals per game.
~5% increase, 1 goal per match.

The way those goals being scored might be different, but there's always a way to add pressure and we'll only get better at that as the year progresses.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Spoke to Kingsley last night, Mentioned that we haven't reached our peak, still experimenting new things.
And i asked him if Dimma was angry. He said no, because its only round 3.
I was sweet with his response and i know we begin our run after the bye.
He was happy with a couple of kids in the 2's. Rioli got midfield time and did well and Sampson is progressing well. Good hands.

Reactions: 9 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hardwick in his presser described today’s blood bath as a ‘gift’, stating that there were things that would be taken from today and used to improve the team going forward. And that the improvements may not be immediate, but would come.

I liked his confidence regarding what had happened today. He didn’t seem shocked.
Pretty much done the same the last four years.
Accept the wins as just reward for our systems n work rate being effective ( business as usual ).
Examine the losses carefully to assess what we did wrong when and where, then learn, tweak n adjust to compensate n correct the errors.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
But the laziness explanation reminds me of Geelong supporters in recent years: "nah, it's not the way Richmond played, we were just lazy and below our best for some reason" - every Geelong supporter 2017-2020. Let's stay away from that as much as possible!
There's a little bit of difference in being a bit flat early in the season after winning the previous years flag and losing the occasional game, to getting beaten on a regular basis by the same team in the finals.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep. Watch the wheels turn when CCJ comes in.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
There seems to be a lot of swagger around today. Unfailing belief that all will turn out good, when we return to match fitness.

The new rules are designed to further limit the effectiveness of spoiling defenders. Causing turnovers in defence has been a hallmark of our play.
Introduced literally without trial they are designed to ensure that more goals are scored and are probably the most significant changes since a free kick for kicking out came in.

We have recruited well and now have Port and the Saints.
Hopefully Martyn, Dow, CD and maybe Chol and Miller will get a shot. All very quick and all can kick.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Our successful game plan is built on chaos & contested ball. The new rules have opened the game right up & pressure largely removed from us.
Opening the angles with the man on the mark rule has completely changed things.
Sydney had 117 uncontested marks yesterday. That's unheard of!
Alternatively we had 88 points scored against us from turnovers.
My no 1 concern is we have too many guys in the side with ropey disposal.
It's all about precision disposal right now..
Do we have that on our list? Challenging.
Bartel even before our game was saying its Good disposal plus good decision making that are keys to success. Need to be sure we keep up to the mark on these two criteria.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
There seems to be a lot of swagger around today. Unfailing belief that all will turn out good, when we return to match fitness.

The new rules are designed to further limit the effectiveness of spoiling defenders. Causing turnovers in defence has been a hallmark of our play.
Introduced literally without trial they are designed to ensure that more goals are scored and are probably the most significant changes since a free kick for kicking out came in.

We have recruited well and now have Port and the Saints.
Hopefully Martyn, Dow, CD and maybe Chol and Miller will get a shot. All very quick and all can kick.

Not sure teams can maintain the accurate kicking and run and spread required to take advantage of the STAND rule across the whole season. Only time will tell.

Interestingly in the last many Tigers were sagging off and refusing to man the mark. I hope teams find a way make a mockery of this asinine rule and it gets consigned to history.

Reactions: 2 users