Game day V GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day V GWS

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I thought till he went to half back he was useless.
Looks slow and this crash and bash game he has inherited doesn’t help us in the middle.

Cotch has been back for 3 games and you've bagged the absolute bejeezus out of him in 2 of them and basically wrote him off after the first of them.
He's a bloody champion - past present and future.
Show the bloke some respect.

Continue to rant about KMac, Short, Soldo blah blah blah - nobody cares

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Disagree completely.

Thought today was a nice step forward for him. Got his hands on the ball more and his off the ball work was very good. Looked like he was moving a lot better and had his zip (no pun intended) back.
Agree. Just seems to overplay and rush a bit at times.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cotch has been back for 3 games and you've bagged the absolute bejeezus out of him in 2 of them and basically wrote him off after the first of them.

You forget the dud Ellis,

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
At the game it felt like we were always in control.
Our handball was quick and I enjoyed watching the boys making themselves available to help when there was a tight situation .
It was a very windy wet day which is why the skills may not have looked great.
Remember Soldo is a fill in so he’s doing his best.
The Egg was only playing his second game and it was a good learning game for him.
Am concerned with the amount of goals that Broad gets kicked against him.
That could be because he is just not big enough to cover a bigger bodied forward if Dave is having a break,

I agree, I felt like we were in control all the game.

On Broad, the 2 Cameron goals when they brought themselves back to 2 goals behind were both scored when Broad was on Cameron as Dave was on the bench. Astbury was pretty good on him for the rest of the game I thought. Broad is just far too undersized when playing on players that much bigger than him.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Disagree completely.

Thought today was a nice step forward for him. Got his hands on the ball more and his off the ball work was very good. Looked like he was moving a lot better and had his zip (no pun intended) back.

Agree, a bit surprise at the comments about Rioli, thought he was ok without being brilliant today but that was mostly in his handling of the ball, as you say off the ball he was back to what we expect. I imagine the ball handling we are seeing with him currently is low confidence, a few more games like that and he'll be back to his best.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought a solid win today.

We're not there yet, need to play better than this to be a real chance, but traveling well enough.

Make no mistake, GWS have some players out and were short today with in game injuries, but they are a quality side. A win against GWS is always a good result.

Need to improve but now is the time to be improving and coming off middling form.

DS

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Sobering thought was that they had their entire first line rotation of their midfield out today and or off the ground.

Mummy, Kelly, Ward, and then Coniglio.

They dont have the sheer number of top liners that they once had but geez their best line up is still scary good.

Mummy, Kelly, Coniglio, Ward, Whitfield, Taranto, Hopper, Davis, Cameron, Greene, Himmelberg, Haynes, Zac Williams, Patton, Kennedy, Tomlinson, Finlayson, and young Hill will be a player too.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
We got them at a good time. But other teams have got us at a good time so swings and roundabouts. In the last match against them we had short off in the first few minutes and garthwaite on Cameron. Hopefully we can continue to get the rub of the green down the final stretch as I think you need some luck in addition to playing well in September in any year to win the whole thing Unearthing Shai Stack and Chol May not have happened as well without injuries but they are getting closer to locks. Nank for soldo, stack backline for egg and caddy or Higgins to forward line may be best 22 (assuming Rioli finds form)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has anyone offered up a theory as to why we went from roosters to feather dusters so suddenly in the 2nd?

Within a space of 5 minutes, the commentators (and me) went from going

'this is premiership Richmond boosting their percentage',

to

'Richmond may not play finals'

It was very similar to West Coasts in explicable last quarter.

The only observation I could make is that our bottom 6 players all played to their weaknesses for a 30 minute period, making us look dreadful.

It also looked (on TV) like we got way too cute for half an hour, with underground handballs and outside of boot passes and tap ons (all the stuff that won us the flag). Maybe the rain made the previous fast football look too cute? On TV, it looked like someone flicked a switch from 'Champagne' to 'Green Homebrew'.

That, and GWS can make you look ordinary when they are in their groove.

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Was at the game. We butchered some disposal and got caught on rebound / kept kicking it out in the full / gave away marking contest free kicks. Also a centre square clearance where Cameron got in front and banged one from 55-60 out. Chol missed the sitter to put us 6 goals up just prior to this and we were also five seconds away from a first quarter goal when soldo got out the back where we could have almost having them drop their heads.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Has anyone offered up a theory as to why we went from roosters to feather dusters so suddenly in the 2nd?

to

The only observation I could make is that our bottom 6 players all played to their weaknesses for a 30 minute period, making us look dreadful.

I'm not sure what the reason was but it is a feature in nearly every game we play; especially when we win. We seem to dominate teams for a sustained period but then take the foot off and let them back into the game. It's a key reason why our percentage is quite poor and may be a factor in deciding whether we get a top 4 finish and/or a home final.

No doubt it is difficult to continue to dominate a whole game but it would be good if we could find a way to really put a team to the sword and kill the game off early when we have the chance. I suppose we did that to an extent against GC17 but even then they outscored us in the 3rd quarter.

But overall we are tracking well; building some nice momentum without really hitting top form. Good signs as there is still quite a bit of improvement in us. The Jekyll and Hyde Port Adelaide is a danger game this week.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

to

It also looked (on TV) like we got way too cute for half an hour, with underground handballs and outside of boot passes and tap ons (all the stuff that won us the flag). Maybe the rain made the previous fast football look too cute? On TV, it looked like someone flicked a switch from 'Champagne' to 'Green Homebrew'.

I reckon we were lairising too much. Trying to play Harlem Globetrotters when the situation called for digging in. In saying that, if we can make Globetrotters work come finals time, we might be unbeatable.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon we were lairising too much. Trying to play Harlem Globetrotters when the situation called for digging in. In saying that, if we can make Globetrotters work come finals time, we might be unbeatable.

yeah it looked like lairising too me, but I wonder if GWS upped the pressure and turned the globetrotting into liaising?

I suspect that's what happened, and if so,

you're right, we need to be able to switch into grunt mode when that happens.

which I suppose we did, cause we won by 5 goals?

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
yeah it looked like lairising too me, but I wonder if GWS upped the pressure and turned the globetrotting into liaising?

GWS definiteley upped the pressure and then played keepings off. yr never going to beat this team by 15 goals. that said we could've been up by 10 goals if not for some bad kicking, but winning by 5 and knowing there's room for improvement is positive.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Gee Cameron, while hard to like, is an outstanding player. Can play tall or small. Fortunately spays too many.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
BEllis had a good game yesterday.

Seems to be building good form.

Hope he keeps it up, so his value increases...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hearld sun gave 3 votes to whitfield. WTF
Seriously lambert Bolton Lynch and Prestia were more influential in the result then him.
I cant remember the last time one of our players got 3votes in a 5 goal loss
Absolute *smile*