Game Day vs St Kilda | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day vs St Kilda

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
If the new stadium were built in Hobart, Tasmania for sure would be a realistic possibility.

3 venues - new Hobart stadium, York Park in Launceston and either Dial Park, Penguin or Devonport Oval on the north west coast

Would love to say West Park in Burnie, as it is the historically more famous and iconic Aussie Rules football ground in that north west region. And possibly has slightly better facilities than Devonport. But the playing arena is just too odd and small, even compared to somewhere like Norwood Oval.

Certainly though, I think Perth will likely be the next port of call however, if it does indeed move on from Adelaide at the conclusion of the current contract.
Geelong can play Essenbong on the Queenstown gravel.

Geelong are used to odd grounds.

Essenbong end their matches with clean knees, so no worries there.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Sydney won't host Reacher Round, at least not for a long time. No way you'd sell out nine games or anything close to it. It's Adelaide's for the foreseeable future, with only Perth and perhaps a one-off Tassie welcome as alternatives.

And for the record it does seem a pretty cool concept even if they copied the NRL. I'd love to make a trip of it one of these years.
Could see Queensland host it during the June school holidays, though be subject to what they do with the Gabba.
Have Games at Carrara as well unsure if can have a game on Sunshine Coast.
Would be plenty of people in Qld over that period

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If the new stadium were built in Hobart, Tasmania for sure would be a realistic possibility.

3 venues - new Hobart stadium, York Park in Launceston and either Dial Park, Penguin or Devonport Oval on the north west coast

Would love to say West Park in Burnie, as it is the historically more famous and iconic Aussie Rules football ground in that north west region. And possibly has slightly better facilities than Devonport. But the playing arena is just too odd and small, even compared to somewhere like Norwood Oval.

Certainly though, I think Perth will likely be the next port of call however, if it does indeed move on from Adelaide at the conclusion of the current contract.
I think having games spread that widely across Tassie would defeat the purpose a bit.
Perth wont have the attraction of easy access for Victorians and the NSWelsh.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I think having games spread that widely across Tassie would defeat the purpose a bit.
Perth wont have the attraction of easy access for Victorians and the NSWelsh.
In that case, you could easily do it as two venues in Hobart, one in Launceston (assuming the new Hobart stadium were to be in place).

Becomes the same model as how SA are hosting it (two venues in Adelaide, one outside).

Currently Hobart has three venues no less capable than Norwood Oval that can host matches (better playing surfaces and ground dimensions too). Build the stadium and you have four.

Last edited:

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
On Gather Round, I agree with the majority view that it works well in SA, but it defeats the purpose of what it supposed to achieve to have it based in one location, IMO. Just seems counter to the concept. Are they trying to promote the game in a touring festival format or just have a whole round of matches somewhere where its most logistically suitable? If we are going to have a Gather Round, makes sense to rotate it each year to every state except Vic.

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
On Gather Round, I agree with the majority view that it works well in SA, but it defeats the purpose of what it supposed to achieve to have it based in one location, IMO. Just seems counter to the concept. Are they trying to promote the game in a touring festival format or just have a whole round of matches somewhere where its most logistically suitable? If we are going to have a Gather Round, makes sense to rotate it each year to every state except Vic.
Purpose? You're thinking about it more then they are! They went "oh magic round is fun, let's do that!" Then went "what if we can sell it to a government to make money?" And the rest is just happy accidents

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Purpose? You're thinking about it more then they are! They went "oh magic round is fun, let's do that!" Then went "what if we can sell it to a government to make money?" And the rest is just happy accidents
There is a very clear purpose. $$$$$$$$. And the AFL thinks it makes them look innovative.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
True that. Yeah its gone from Gather Round to Adelaide Round.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I've been to both Gather Rounds, and Adelaide is perfect for it. The purpose isn't to grow the sport, otherwise it would've never started in a football state. It's a celebration of football.

Adelaide has worked it's tail off to master it. It's like clubs claiming we should get Anzac Day, we should opening game, not Richmond v Carlton, we should get the Easter Monday. Who in the blue blazers in Sydney would go to Carlton vs Freo in Blacktown? Adelaide built it, they should keep it. And if the AFL decides to run more than one gather per year they are fools. It's the Big Bash all over again.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Geelong can play Essenbong on the Queenstown gravel.

Geelong are used to odd grounds.

Essenbong end their matches with clean knees, so no worries there.
Would be perfect for the Moggies, playing on kitty litter.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I've been to both Gather Rounds, and Adelaide is perfect for it. The purpose isn't to grow the sport, otherwise it would've never started in a football state. It's a celebration of football.

Adelaide has worked it's tail off to master it. It's like clubs claiming we should get Anzac Day, we should opening game, not Richmond v Carlton, we should get the Easter Monday. Who in the blue blazers in Sydney would go to Carlton vs Freo in Blacktown? Adelaide built it, they should keep it. And if the AFL decides to run more than one gather per year they are fools. It's the Big Bash all over again.
I could have sworn I heard, multiple times, Gather round was to promote and build the game. Must have dreamt it.

Look I'm ambivalent. But all the arguments you make you could apply to the Olympics. Country X worked its arse off and did a great job, lets keep it there. Except here we have states not nations. To me it just seems in keeping with the vibe to rotate it. Other states can build it and do good work. What did SA build exactly? Some stands at Mt Barker I suppose, booked some buses? Its now officially Adelaide round it seems.

IMO the point was to celebrate and promote the game. but like everything the AFL does nothing is ever that clear, and things can morph into other things. Thats not to say SA haven't done a great job and people had a great time.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Richmond Vs Carlton opening game is such a farce. Never guaranteed of being the actual opening game of the season and gets lost in the washing. Waste of time, given it’s not what the clubs asked for in the first place.

They actually wanted an annual Easter Thursday night match up. Monopolise that Thursday break up from work for Easter. Perfect idea.

It just so happens that the first Easter Thursday clash coincided with the start of a season and the AFL ran with that.

ANZAC Day an interesting one. If you listen to reverse engineered history of the AFL and Essendon and Collingwood. No one ever played footy on this “holy” day until they thought of it. And it’s sacrilege to even think otherwise and dare even look at photos of past ANZAC Day footy matches. Within three years of them playing it, it was the “traditional” ANZAC Day match. To be fair though, I suppose by the standards of a collectively mentally *smile* society with an attention span of a goldfish, a pattern of three years does mark some sort of ancient “tradition.” So a practical example of spin doctors being able to repeat crap enough times and it becomes gospel.

Like tired says below. The AFL just make *smile* up as they go along. A series of happy accidents.
Purpose? You're thinking about it more than they are! They went "oh magic round is fun, let's do that!" Then went "what if we can sell it to a government to make money?" And the rest is just happy accidents

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Coaches Votes

Richmond v St Kilda​

10 Shai Bolton (RICH)
7 Jack Steele (STK)
4 Dustin Martin (RICH)
3 Jack Sinclair (STK)
2 Josh Battle (STK)
2 Bradley Hill (STK)
1 Tim Taranto (RICH)
1 Callum Wilkie (STK)
The interesting thing with those votes is that it means that one coach has given Dusty 4 and the other zero. I assume it was Yze

votes probably were something like

Bolton, Martin, Steele, Battle, Taranto
And
Bolton, Steele, Sinclair, Hill, Wilkie

The 2s and 1s could be a different mix

Personally I thought Steele and Hill were the ones who brought st kilda back into it. Sinclair is a stats padder.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

Nah the beauty of the Adelaide model is everything is centralised. Mt Barker furthest away (25 min by car or courtesy bus). I did 5 games in around 26 hours. I was completely against the concept but having experienced it I'm hooked.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I saw worse tackles than Vlastuin. Shouldn’t even have been paid a free kick imho. Thought Butler had his arms free and should’ve broken his fall with free arm. We were denied a free for a similar tackle when our player had both arm pinged to his body and his head hit the ground. No consistency is killing it for me.
Then we should be appealing. Same round, Toby Greene (!) gets off along with Cerra and Laird because supposedly their/or both arms were not held in!

That tells you something about our prejudiced treatment. Remember Maynard, JVR, Cripps, Kosi Pickett - and he's up again w Dees appealing.

Surely it's about whether a tackle forces the player's head to hit thr ground with force, not about their arm status? Otherwise it's like their own fault for not using their arm/s a particular way. As if they had time? Knew what was coming? Lost balance?

Isn't it all about protecting player's heads/sacrosanct? But broken arms or collarbones are fine?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Nah the beauty of the Adelaide model is everything is centralised. Mt Barker furthest away (25 min by car or courtesy bus). I did 5 games in around 26 hours. I was completely against the concept but having experienced it I'm hooked.
I think you could take out NW Coast and do two venues Hobart, one venue Launceston and still achieve similar (albeit slightly different) dynamics.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
ANZAC Day an interesting one. If you listen to reverse engineered history of the AFL and Essendon and Collingwood. No one ever played footy on this “holy” day until they thought of it. And it’s sacrilege to even think otherwise and dare even look at photos of past ANZAC Day footy matches. Within three years of them playing it, it was the “traditional” ANZAC Day match. To be fair though, I suppose by the standards of a collectively mentally *smile* society with an attention span of a goldfish, a pattern of three years does mark some sort of ancient “tradition.” So a practical example of spin doctors being able to repeat crap enough times and it becomes gospel.

Yeah but this happens everywhere.

Traditional Boxing Day Test? Actually, it was a traditional Boxing Day Shield game between Vic and NSW well before it was a test.

All the talk of traditional rivals, traditional games etc is basically marketing. They do a good job of it but it is fundamentally BS. There are rivalries in any sporting competition, but they also change over time. We had a big rivalry with Carlton when I was a kid in the 1970s and both clubs were strong, but that certainly tapered off in the 90s, 00s and teens.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I think the other issue is public transport and hospitality and accommodation facilities .
Would the likes of Tassie cope with 50,000 visitors at one time?
Adelaide being more central would reduce the costs of the other 16 teams and support staff flying to WA. As well as the question of ease of travel and costs for supporters getting to WA. Especially as we all know airlines would price gouge. I doubt many would drive or train over to WA.
There is a lot to consider, it’s not just that easy to say move the games somewhere else next time

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah but this happens everywhere.

Traditional Boxing Day Test? Actually, it was a traditional Boxing Day Shield game between Vic and NSW well before it was a test.

All the talk of traditional rivals, traditional games etc is basically marketing. They do a good job of it but it is fundamentally BS. There are rivalries in any sporting competition, but they also change over time. We had a big rivalry with Carlton when I was a kid in the 1970s and both clubs were strong, but that certainly tapered off in the 90s, 00s and teens.

DS

Yep. Traditions have to start somewhere and Coll/Ess is an established tradition now, no-one can dispute that.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Personally I thought Steele and Hill were the ones who brought st kilda back into it. Sinclair is a stats padder.
Wow, I really like your thoughts on footry Sing but reckon that is way off. Sinclair is a gun. Pure gun, could play anywhere. Reckon he is used as a mr fix it at the Saints but if I could prise one player from their list it is him.