Game Day vs St Kilda | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day vs St Kilda

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On Gather Round, I agree with the majority view that it works well in SA, but it defeats the purpose of what it supposed to achieve to have it based in one location, IMO. Just seems counter to the concept. Are they trying to promote the game in a touring festival format or just have a whole round of matches somewhere where its most logistically suitable? If we are going to have a Gather Round, makes sense to rotate it each year to every state except Vic.
My view is that footy has been envious of racings Warrnambool carnival.
They have found it in gather round. And instead of it being a promotion of footy it’s now the schoolies week for footy insiders particularly the AFL Head office types.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All traditions have a starting point. First Anzac Day match was 1995... Thats 29 years ago, easily qualifies as a tradition now.

I find our Melbourne Anzac Eve tradition ad totally manufactured - a cheap copy of Coll/Ess. But if it's still around in 29 years I'll grudgingly accept it.

Aah, evolution Mr Ant. Back 29 years ago the Essendon Collingwood ANZAC Day match looked a lot more confected than it does now. I may be cynical but I reckon the Richmond Melbourne game will become more of a tradition as time goes on. As I said, it is a fine line between confected BS and good marketing. The AFL are a bunch of amateurs at a lot of things, but creating traditions is one thing they have some success at.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Aah, evolution Mr Ant. Back 29 years ago the Essendon Collingwood ANZAC Day match looked a lot more confected than it does now. I may be cynical but I reckon the Richmond Melbourne game will become more of a tradition as time goes on. As I said, it is a fine line between confected BS and good marketing. The AFL are a bunch of amateurs at a lot of things, but creating traditions is one thing they have some success at.

DS

Of course it did, but it's now a long established tradition. Maybe that's the difference, most new initiatives are manufactured, some persist and become traditions, some fade away.

Gather Round is a direct ripoff of the NRL - but it's pretty good, I'm tipping that will be around for many years.