Game Day vs St Kilda | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day vs St Kilda

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Wow, I really like your thoughts on footry Sing but reckon that is way off. Sinclair is a gun. Pure gun, could play anywhere. Reckon he is used as a mr fix it at the Saints but if I could prise one player from their list it is him.
Yeah fair enough, probably a bit harsh on him. He is as good as anyone at his role but to me he isn’t one who is going to turn a game, like Steele did at the coal face.

He is an an accumulator which is fine, teams need accumulators who work hard and get to contests to receive .

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We can all debate the merits of different host for the Reacher Round, but the reality is the AFL will just sell it to the highest bidder than make up reasons why that location is perfect.

Reactions: 1 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Baker and Naismith. Toby and Cray can spend time in the forward line contesting the marks. Baker in for one of the two who have rolled their ankles, Naismith for ????

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Baker and Naismith. Toby and Cray can spend time in the forward line contesting the marks. Baker in for one of the two who have rolled their ankles, Naismith for ????
Nank is a lot better ruck than Naismith, and isnt very good as a forward. Personally i think the idea of having him ruck for less than 80% of the game and moving him to the forward line is not a good one.
If Naismith is our best option in the forwardline then he plays in the forwardline.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep. Traditions have to start somewhere and Coll/Ess is an established tradition now, no-one can dispute that.

The issue is that people react to the fact that a fair number of the traditions these days are manufactured. There was nothing manufactured about the Richmond/Carlton rivalry in the 1970s. The hatred of Collingwood back then was real, these days it is a bit meh.

It is a fine line between good marketing and hyped up BS. They seem to be walking that line well on some "traditions" such as the Coll/Ess ANZAC Day game, our ANZAC Eve game and a few others. Some others come across as too manufactured.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
The issue is that people react to the fact that a fair number of the traditions these days are manufactured. There was nothing manufactured about the Richmond/Carlton rivalry in the 1970s. The hatred of Collingwood back then was real, these days it is a bit meh.

It is a fine line between good marketing and hyped up BS. They seem to be walking that line well on some "traditions" such as the Coll/Ess ANZAC Day game, our ANZAC Eve game and a few others. Some others come across as too manufactured.

DS
Don’t forget that much vaunted tradition of the Country Game to honour our farmers.
Bigger than the Super Bowl. :giggle:

Do they still have it

• Haha

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
... There was nothing manufactured about the Richmond/Carlton rivalry in the 1970s. The hatred of Collingwood back then was real, these days it is a bit meh.

DS
So true. These days I find it difficult to get steamed up about either but thankfully Geelong and Chris Scott have filled that void.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I think the other issue is public transport and hospitality and accommodation facilities .
Would the likes of Tassie cope with 50,000 visitors at one time?
Adelaide being more central would reduce the costs of the other 16 teams and support staff flying to WA. As well as the question of ease of travel and costs for supporters getting to WA. Especially as we all know airlines would price gouge. I doubt many would drive or train over to WA.
There is a lot to consider, it’s not just that easy to say move the games somewhere else next time
Airlines were doing it for Gather Round. Guy i was staying with paid $900 for his flight from Melb. Others $600.

*smile* load of people drove. Was like Convoy driving home. Lucky I could turn off at Keith!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
........We had a big rivalry with Carlton when I was a kid in the 1970s and both clubs were strong, but that certainly tapered off in the 90s, 00s and teens.

DS

What?!?!?! Fully remember the 70s and us v that Scumbag low life cheating club. No tapering off in this small part of the world for mine. The hatred of all things @#$%ton still runs rife....except for @BluesBloke

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What?!?!?! Fully remember the 70s and us v that Scumbag low life cheating club. No tapering off in this small part of the world for mine. The hatred of all things @#$%ton still runs rife....except for @BluesBloke

Hatred for Carlton? Sure. But the rivalry wasn't much when we were crap in the 1990s and they (for the last time) won some flags.

As for Collingwood, yeah, it isn't the same as it was, the hatred was visceral in the 1970s, now feels more confected. In any case, Collingwood supporters love to be hated so I generally feign ambivalence to p!!ss them off.

DS

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Can someone tell me when the rule changed and the game is now allowed to be stopped until an injured player is replaced?

Brad Hill rolled his ankle and the whole game has to be stopped and we wait for his replacement to come onto the field, just for him to come back on 5 minutes later.

What happened to the good old days when Dion Prestia gets knocked into next month and the Cats just chip it around him and kick a goal.
He had blood on his knee- blood rule

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Ok then - had blood on his shin, blood rule?
You were correct on it being the blood rule. I didn’t mean to correct you as such, but they did mention a fairly bad shin gash that might have prevented him from playing on. But it could have been his knee :) they aren’t doctors

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

DS

All traditions have a starting point. First Anzac Day match was 1995... Thats 29 years ago, easily qualifies as a tradition now.

I find our Melbourne Anzac Eve tradition ad totally manufactured - a cheap copy of Coll/Ess. But if it's still around in 29 years I'll grudgingly accept it.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
You were correct on it being the blood rule. I didn’t mean to correct you as such, but they did mention a fairly bad shin gash that might have prevented him from playing on. But it could have been his knee :) they aren’t doctors
No worries Willo, my response was tongue in cheek but may have come across grumpy in the afternoon heat haze.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nank is a lot better ruck than Naismith, and isnt very good as a forward. Personally i think the idea of having him ruck for less than 80% of the game and moving him to the forward line is not a good one.
If Naismith is our best option in the forwardline then he plays in the forwardline.
The way we so often bomb the ball long and high into the forward line the only requirement at deep forward is to be strong enough to take a pack mark or force the ball to a ground contest, as long as they're surrounded by ground ball players. Can't really see a major issue for a Nank or Crawdad to rest down forward for short periods. Both can take a pack mark and kick the occasional sausage. We're seriously short changed in the forward line at the moment so I'm happy to consider any possible option that might be available.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
All traditions have a starting point. First Anzac Day match was 1995... Thats 29 years ago, easily qualifies as a tradition now.

I find our Melbourne Anzac Eve tradition ad totally manufactured - a cheap copy of Coll/Ess. But if it's still around in 29 years I'll grudgingly accept it.
First ESS Coll Anzac Day match to be clear. Footy was played on Anzac Day in the old split rounds over public holiday Long before 95.