Game Day vs Western Bulldogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day vs Western Bulldogs

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
TOT70 said:
Fair call

Zips, you seriously make me chuckle.

All our loses over the last 2 years have come from key tall marking forward slapping us.
It goes back to 2017 when Jenkins beat Rance, then it has continued with Cameron, Cox and now Naughton smashing us.
Both Cox and Naughton have gone close to beating records for most contested marks.
We need a tall defender ASAP.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
zippadeee said:
All our loses over the last 2 years have come from key tall marking forward slapping us.
It goes back to 2017 when Jenkins beat Rance, then it has continued with Cameron, Cox and now Naughton smashing us.
Both Cox and Naughton have gone close to beating records for most contested marks.
We need a tall defender ASAP.

We do.

Joel Tippett? Johnny Manton?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Tigers of Old said:
Jon Marsh was the guy. We listed Weller instead..

Yer, commented elsewhere that it doesn't look like a smart decision now. But I expect the club thought Garthwaite was the relief tall back. Now the question is whether he has the pace for AFL.

Anyway, Marsh made his debut for the Aints with 5Ks and 1HB, all contested, plus his first ever snag. Hardly set the world on fire - he's no Sydney Stack! - but just first AFL game since prior career, so who knows if he is up to it yet either.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Bont is a good player, no doubt.

When his opponent is nowhere near him, he is a star.

E

easy_tiger

in the light of day,

I reckon

Out: Rioili (ing) Bellis

In: Butler, Dave

debutants on hold. premiership blokes eligible only

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
23.21.159 said:
Whichever way you slice it, losing to a side who had been beaten by both Cartoon and Gold Coast in the last month has got to be a worry.

Yep. And we didnt just lose, we got smashed.

E

easy_tiger

23.21.159 said:
Whichever way you slice it, losing to a side who had been beaten by both Cartoon and Gold Coast in the last month has got to be a worry.

Its certainly not the ideal preparation for a premiership.

But we did get absolutely smashed by a pretty *smile* St.kilda outfit en route to our last flag.

We just need to graft as many wins as losses until Cotchy and Jack get back.

gonna have to be pretty crafty selection wise.

But if our experienced mids and forwards can't hit form pretty pronto, we are *smile*

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Over the last 3 seasons we have suffered these kinds of losses with all our guns on board!

If we walk away with a rebound away win this week it bodes well for us and proves it was just one of those off games.

I'm still confident we will time our run into the finals better this year with or without our guns in the team.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
A little over the Naughton raves. First Browny says its the best marking display he has ever seen, and its continued on with everyone talking about how incredible it was.

Watch the below and name me his true "contested" marks. There is one decent mark, the rest are almost uncontested. Naughton is 195cm. Opponents in 3 of the contests are Vlastuin 187, one is Menadue 187. In all other contests he is essentially uncontested with no body on him and no impeding his run at the ball.

Yes, he looks a good player with good hands and great judgement of flight but he won't get it so easy in most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOD9unL90M

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
MD Jazz said:
A little over the Naughton raves. First Browny says its the best marking display he has ever seen, and its continued on with everyone talking about how incredible it was.

Watch the below and name me his true "contested" marks. There is one decent mark, the rest are almost uncontested. Naughton is 195cm. Opponents in 3 of the contests are Vlastuin 187, one is Menadue 187. In all other contests he is essentially uncontested with no body on him and no impeding his run at the ball.

Yes, he looks a good player with good hands and great judgement of flight but he won't get it so easy in most games.

Yes how quickly they forget. Naughton is a good player and may well turn into a great one. But the hyperbole is laughable.

FWIW IMO Matthew Richardson is the best contested mark I have ever seen. He probably had to be given the quality of delivery he got for most of his career.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
MD Jazz said:

Hardwick's 'Jesus Christ' comments have been taken too literally. I'd just have been happy with Astbury & Rance.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Ridley said:
Yes how quickly they forget. Naughton is a good player and may well turn into a great one. But the hyperbole is laughable.

FWIW IMO Matthew Richardson is the best contested mark I have ever seen. He probably had to be given the quality of delivery he got for most of his career.

Yeh, Richo had a hundred games with better mark highlights. And as you say had to be the best contested mark in the game because of the incompetence of teammates.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
MD Jazz said:

That's the old Richmond way.
We use to make so-so players look like champions.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Ridley said:

Lloyd said this week Richo was the best contested mark he had seen in his lifetime. I'd have Loewe just ahead of him.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
scottyturnerscurse said:
Lloyd said this week Richo was the best contested mark he had seen in his lifetime. I'd have Loewe just ahead of him.

Richo took em in genuine contests though.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Richo was an amazing contested mark as was Buckets Loewe.

There was also the King Duck he was pretty handy.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Naughton had a clear run at the contest.

Grimes, Broad, and Vlastuin are usually the key players to come in as a 2nd man to block someone's run (long before the contest). These players were injured or playing 1st key defender roles at the time.

Perhaps it's not the 1st key defender role where we suffered, but the lack of a replacement for these excellent support defenders who know how to get in the way?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The best and most effective way to make a defenders life easier in footy is to deny the opposition running the footy willy nilly into there forward line without any pressure or duress on them.

This gives them time to hit up passes into space which hasnt been covered off yet and also disallows for other defenders to drop off their opponent to assist or impact the key contest.

Our mids let our defence down badly on Saturday night it was pedestrian stuff.

Doggies walked the ball out of the centre and there defensive half at will.

We mad a crap team look like world beaters, a team that looked like garbage against the Blues, let that fester.

Saturday night was a very very bad night at the office we hardly had a winner apart from Stack and Baker.

Nank played well and tried his guts out but was flogged by a child that couldnt get near it against Carlton.

Naughton also couldnt get a touch against the Blues, thats right Carey MKII couldnt get a touch against the Blues.