Gary Ablett snr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gary Ablett snr

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004
It has been announced by the AFL that Gary Ablett snr will be put into the hall of fame next week. What is everyone's opinion on this.

From my point of view, it is nice to acknowledge such a champion player to this award. Notice I said champion player as to person, I think he needs to be acknowleged for his achievements on the field, but that's where my admiration of this man stop's.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
VERY hot topic talking about his off field persona but a absolute champion on it - bloody hell he continually wrecked us every time he played against us. Was mercurial and would drag people to the footy just to see how he went on the day. Too late imo in the induction and he wont turn up anyway to receive it.

dmx

Formulating Intrinsic Mechanisms
Apr 21, 2004
He needs to be acknowledged for nothing. He has spent his acknwledgment pennies. 8)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
imho he should have been inducted as soon as he became eligible. by now he should have been upgraded to legend status. he is the best player i have ever seen.

while his off field antics have at times disgusted me, it's irrelevant.

dmx

Apr 21, 2004
Ian4 said:
imho he should have been inducted as soon as he became eligible. by now he should have been upgraded to legend status. he is the best player i have ever seen.

while his off field antics have at times disgusted me, it's irrelevant.

what do you mean irrelevant? How dare you suggest that the people affected by him are irrelevant 8)

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Let he who is without fault cast the first stone.

AFL Hall of Fame is about football - nothing else to my knowledge, though if there is a charter - please send me a copy.  Presuming it is only about football, then one G.Ablett should be in the Hall of Fame as I think, and I know I am not alone, that he is the best player I've seen in my lifetime(bar perhaps Royce Hart and Peter Hudson - own opinion on these two).  He deserves to stand there with his peers for his footballing deeds alone.  Personally, i don't have a problem seperating his football deeds with personal matters - my brain can do that!

dmx

Apr 21, 2004
yeah ok lets get him in there and then we can move on. so he gets int the hall of fame, or better still, there is another soap opera that fills papers about it for the next few weeks, and so on and so on. Put him in and he is in the Hall of Fame and his life is complete. Then he can attend the annual luncheon for the next n years. 8)

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
its more about money and self serving publicity than anything else

i say the hall of fame is irrelevant!!!

who gives a toss

just sells some crap newspapers

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
cassady said:
its more about money and self serving publicity than anything else

i say the hall of fame is irrelevant!!!

who gives a toss

just sells some crap newspapers

Cass, this sounds unlike you sunshine. Perhaps the first people to ask if it is irrevelant are the people already bestowed with the honour - I doubt somehow they feel as you do. I'm not sure it is for you and me to decide it's public relevence - but hey if it's not relevant to you - that's cool - let it go, what's it matter to you........................... ;)

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
yeah, ok pharce

i take it back

sorry

lack of sleep makes me cranky

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
Well its about time, an absolute champion :clap
Us Richmond Supporters got to see the best of him :'(

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Put him in the hall of fame.He deserves to based on his footy career.His off field life has been a disaster but now 's probably the right time to induct him.

RICHO_12

Tiger Superstar
Jul 1, 2004
His decisions which were made off-field whether good or bad are irrelevant to his Hall Of Fame Status its rediculous he wasnt inducted 5 years ago

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
If moral judgements are to be introduced some already in would have to come out. I think the delay in putting him in can be justified due to sensitivity but ultimately it's about football and in that context he has few peers.

Unquestionably, he must be in.

And I think anyone who doesn't see the value in the Hall of Fame concept isn't a true football fan.

newyorktiger

Last Year
I believe Gary Ablett was the best football I have seen. I was lucky enough to be at the 1989 Grand Final, and thinking about what Gary did that day still gives me goose bumps. That day he was Geelong, and off his own boot nearly beat an awesome Hawthorn team. I still remember what a Hawthorn supporter behind me said in the 3rd quarter: “If Geelong can get it to him often enough, they will win.”

Our thoughts should go to Alisha Horan’s family, who grieve at the loss of their daughter. As a person, Gary made some terrible choices.

But where do you draw the line? I consider Leigh Matthews hit on Neville Bruns one of the most shocking incidents in football, but he has been awarded the status of AFL Legend. You would hope Leigh regrets doing it, yet is looked over and forgotten.

As a footballer on any ground he played, Gary has done more than enough to enter the Hall of Fame. He was the reason people like me used to attend Geelong games when Richmond were not the opponent.

We all know of Gary’s strong belief in God, let Him decide Gary’s standing as a person.