Gary Ablett snr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gary Ablett snr

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
TigerGoneNorth said:
If moral judgements are to be introduced some already in would have to come out. I think the delay in putting him in can be justified due to sensitivity but ultimately it's about football and in that context he has few peers.

Unquestionably, he must be in.

And I think anyone who doesn't see the value in the Hall of Fame concept isn't a true football fan.

that last line is offensive and an absolute load of garbage.  sounds like howard with all his un Australian crap.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
He was aquitted later of any wrong doing.

i'll get the legal stuuff out of the way first. gazza was not charged at all. he was condemed by a judge in an inquiry into the girls'd death, thats about all.

Who gives a rats ar$e, what happened after his career finished when it comes to selection of the Hall of Fame.

ok, i'll throw a spanner in the works, just because i can...

people say gazza should be respected for his deeds on the footy field and ignore what he did off the field right?

what about michael jackson? he's sold more records and had more number 1 hits than most artists. i think the thriller album is still the highest selling album of all time. but he's also an alleged paedophile. do you still respect jackson for his music?

Stuart

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Ian4 said:
Who gives a rats ar$e, what happened after his career finished when it comes to selection of the Hall of Fame.

ok, i'll throw a spanner in the works, just because i can...

people say gazza should be respected for his deeds on the footy field and ignore what he did off the field right?

No one is saying to ignore what he did off the field, what I am saying the hall of fame should be judged on contribution to football, he is one player who I personally believe opposition supporters would have no problems going to watch without their own side playing. Secondly he has not been found guilty of anything in regards to the drugs incident.

Ian4 said:
He was aquitted later of any wrong doing.

i'll get the legal stuuff out of the way first. gazza was not charged at all. he was condemed by a judge in an inquiry into the girls'd death, thats about all.

what about michael jackson? he's sold more records and had more number 1 hits than most artists. i think the thriller album is still the highest selling album of all time. but he's also an alleged paedophile. do you still respect jackson for his music?

Yes, I would still respect MJ for his music (if I ever had!), I certainly would not respect him as a character. I would be able to recognise that his contribution to the on going evolution to music was substantial.
As a parent, who would you despise more, the guy who molested your child or the person who was with your (adult) child when they decided to take drugs & unfortunately overdosed.
One has disgusting intentions, the other was a friend who was present when tragedy struck. I don't believe they are a fair comparison.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I am not going to comment on whether he is a suitable person to be part of the Hall of Fame, but I think some of you are forgetting that some time after the Coroners inquest he came forward and made a statement to police in which he admitted supplying M/s Horan with dangerous drugs,which she then consumed in his presence..given the respective level of experience of each, I reckon their is a fair chance he wd have been committed for trial on a charge of criminal negligence manslaughter, if that evidence had have been put b/f the Coroner.

In any event his admission that he supplied her constitutes trafficking with or w/out payment and he was fortunate again,that the police decided not to proceed,perhaps b/c he had come forward himself.

I actually feel sorry for him and his family, but not as sorry as I feel for the Horan family,especially today.

Boyanich

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 13, 2004
Regional Victoria
This is where we place our values. How many times have we heard footballers, and in particular ABLETT (Snr) desribed as the "great man"?

What makes a "great man"?

Being strong willed? Being moral? Being self disciplined? Respecting others?
Being forgiving? Being fair-minded? Being able to love and be loved?

Or kicking and marking a football?

No-one can deny he was a very good footballer. We all know that. So, does not being in the Hall of Fame change that?

I don't think so.

B

Bill James

So if Ablett had died on gear Horan supplied it would be ok that he was on a 5 day binge with a 20 year old girl and he'd have been inducted 5 years ago?

The world is a strange place, you run a red light and get snapped you pay the fine and wear the demerits. You do the same thing and hit someone you go down for manslaughter. To all extents you have done nothing different.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Ian4 - Pretty sure Wacko is in at least the Motown Hall of Fame, and, most likely in other musical halls of fame.

If a murderer wrote a great novel they could still win a literature award.

Scientists who invent weapons have won Nobel prizes.

Politicians collect pensions for life.

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002
he should go straight to legend status.

boy, if it's good enough for leigh matthews ...

the farce has gone on far too long.

Gary, you ARE a legend, cheers.

(off topic - remember M.Jacksons 'artist of the century' acceptance speech? problem was no such award was being presented (like it wouldn't have gone to elvis))

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
mb64 said:
Just got home,I here Eddie McGuire wasn't too happy with Ablett being inducted.

He said he's glad it was all over and done with at a press conference.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
mb64 said:

I'm a bit surprised McGuire was so critical.What if Ablett had of played at Collingwood.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
mb64 said:
TigerForce said:
mb64 said:

I'm a bit surprised McGuire was so critical.What if Ablett had of played at Collingwood.

What would you do expect mb ?

It would have been bigger than the Azaria Chamberlain case. ::)

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004
mb64 said:

Yes! but Eddie then mentioned that a Collingwood player was overlooked, so it's probably sour grapes from Eddie.
If he had of been a Scumwood's player it would'nt have been on the footy show saying how he did'nt deserve it.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
He is the most complete footballer I have ever seen-pace, stenghth speed, agility, both sides of the body, tough-you name it -he had it all as Stan Alves said-"I played 279 games of football at the highest level and I never once did anything that Ablett would do week in and out" Michael Turner could attest to this -when he first met the young 16 year old Ablett at training-he was directed by the coach touch him up a bit in circle work-the young Ablett beat him hands down.
Discretions off the field aside-he would waltz into the AFLs dream team of all time-he would probably be in the first ten named. Legend status would be deserved. As Bob Davis said -if you thoruoghly scrutinized those already inducted into the hall of fame-you would unearth skeletons in the closet.
The real question about the AFL Hall of Fame is this -is it about the footballer and the person -or is it about the footballer???

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
cassady said:
TigerGoneNorth said:
If moral judgements are to be introduced some already in would have to come out. I think the delay in putting him in can be justified due to sensitivity but ultimately it's about football and in that context he has few peers.

Unquestionably, he must be in.

And I think anyone who doesn't see the value in the Hall of Fame concept isn't a true football fan.

that last line is offensive and an absolute load of garbage.  sounds like howard with all his un Australian crap.

Still got your nose out of joint Cass?

Stick it somewhere else mate.

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
mb64 said:
TigerForce said:
mb64 said:

If he'd played at Collingwood Nathan would have had to sleep in the spare room and Eddie would have had Gazza's babies.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
People are missing the real point with McGuire’s displeasure about the Ablett induction and the vicious diatribe on the selection committee i.e. the selection committee is made up of a one….. Caroline Wilson.

McGuire’s typically excessive rant last night, putting up the names of the committee members, saying they should all be sacked etc. was just McGuire and Channel 9 firing another shot in their ongoing war with Caroline Wilson and certain other parts of the media.

Notice how McGuire didn’t directly say Ablett shouldn’t be in the HOF ? What he said was that the people on the selection committee had not upheld the criteria nor had they changed it in order to fit Ablett in, so they should be sacked. His focus was on the committee – not so much Ablett. It was just McGuire and the evil Channel 9 working to hidden motives again.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Redford said:
People are missing the real point with McGuire’s displeasure about the Ablett induction and the vicious diatribe on the selection committee i.e. the selection committee is made up of a one….. Caroline Wilson.

McGuire’s typically excessive rant last night, putting up the names of the committee members, saying they should all be sacked etc. was just McGuire and Channel 9 firing another shot in their ongoing war with Caroline Wilson and certain other parts of the media.

Notice how McGuire didn’t directly say Ablett shouldn’t be in the HOF ? What he said was that the people on the selection committee had not upheld the criteria nor had they changed it in order to fit Ablett in, so they should be sacked. His focus was on the committee – not so much Ablett. It was just McGuire and the evil Channel 9 working to hidden motives again.
Good point Red,I wonder if Caroline Wilson did vote for Ablett.With the selection committee isn't it majority rules so some may not have been in favour of Ablett being inducted.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
I'm a bit confuesed Red.What has Eddie got to gain by attacking Caroline Wilson?Why is she suddenly a threat to channel9?Not saying you're wrong,Ijust hate connspiracies going on that I dont know about.Especially ones involving her. ;D

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Boyanich said:
This is where we place our values. How many times have we heard footballers, and in particular ABLETT (Snr) desribed as the "great man"?

What makes a "great man"?

Being strong willed? Being moral? Being self disciplined? Respecting others?
Being forgiving? Being fair-minded? Being able to love and be loved?

Or kicking and marking a football?

No-one can deny he was a very good footballer. We all know that. So, does not being in the Hall of Fame change that?

I don't think so.

I think you've summed up the reason for his exclusion, so far, if not for a longer period perfectly, Boyo.

So many people refer to a vastly talented footballer as a "great man". There is a criterion within the Hall of Fame to consider off-field behaviour, it is IMO, appropriate given the confusion between great footballers and great men.

Bill, I appreciate the luck element involved in any escalation of a minor offence. It's just that the offences Gary Ablett was involved in were serious enough in their own right to warrant exclusion, IMO. The death of the young woman massively inccrased the exposure and sensitivity of the issue and of course, the tragedy.