Gary Ablett snr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gary Ablett snr

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
evo said:
I'm a bit confuesed Red.What has Eddie got to gain by attacking Caroline Wilson?Why is she suddenly a threat to channel9?Not saying you're wrong,Ijust hate connspiracies going on that I dont know about.Especially ones involving her. ;D

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Redford said:
evo said:
I'm a bit confuesed Red.What has Eddie got to gain by attacking Caroline Wilson?Why is she suddenly a threat to channel9?Not saying you're wrong,Ijust hate connspiracies going on that I dont know about.Especially ones involving her. ;D

As you know, at one stage the Footy Show was one of the most popular sports shows in the country. One of the most popular shows full stop actually, with a massive audience.

The alleged story goes that some bright sparks at the competing Fairfax media saw an opportunity to ride the coat tails of the Footy Show by proffering up Caroline Wilson to be a regular guest on there. They allegedly said to Channel 9 that they had no female representation on the show and that by doing so would only help to lift ratings even further. They suggested using Caroline Wilson - after all what female does Channel 9 have that knows football as well as her ? Lets face it, she’s the pre-eminent female when it comes to footy and would be the only female in the industry who could possibly bring anything worthwhile/meaningful to the show (besides the Jim Beam girls of course !) Fairfax’s reasoning was that having Caroline on the show would be good for the Footy Show and 9, and it certainly would be good for Caroline’s profile and subsequent sales of The Age. Allegedly Caro was also keen.

However, as I said, Fairfax is a competing media outlet and whilst the Footy Show sometimes has the competition’s employee’s on, it was allegedly very reluctant to have Caro on in any regular sort of capacity. And allegedly, that’s where things all started to turn sour.

After 9’s alleged refusal, Caro got a run on 7 with Talking Footy and started writing a heap of negative stories about the Footy Show. Over the year’s she’s done articles on Everitt, Crawford, Brown, Fevola and their involvement on the show and how it hasn’t been good for their game. Channel 9 and the Footy Show have returned fire on Caro several times and taking the p*ss out of her on numerous occasions. I think last night was just another example of that.

Who knows what the real story is behind the angst between Caro and the Footy Show, this is just what I've heard, but its definitely there and McGuire’s comments about the selection committee (which includes Caro) was just another veiled punch being thrown in my opinion.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Ah ok Red.Busy day at work I see. ;)  I thought maybe something new had emerged.That all sounds pretty well founded.I guess Eddie got to bag a few 'opposition' media  people actually,pretty sure Sheahan and perhaps KB(?) were on the panel too.

Redford said:
After 9’s alleged refusal, Caro got a run on 7 with Talking Footy and started writing a heap of negative stories about the Footy Show. Over the year’s she’s done articles on Everitt, Crawford, Brown, Fevola and their involvement on the show and how it hasn’t been good for their game.

I hope your aren't suggesting Caroline Wilson has used here position as head football writer as an opportunity to write slanted pieces because she has an axe to grind.  :eek:

Personally I've always found her articles to be totally unbiased,choc full of facts and without alterior motive.  :D

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Apparently putting every bit of memorabilia he owns up for sale......
Should give every *smile* cent he gets to the family of Alisha Horan...... but he won't!

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Who..Evo ?
I often wonder where Evo went. He was good value for the PRE community. If you're out there Evo, say hi.

Did he disappear around the same time as Phantom? Are they the same person?

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I often wonder where Evo went. He was good value for the PRE community. If you're out there Evo, say hi.

Did he disappear around the same time as Phantom? Are they the same person?
Evo, Phantom and Nobet Pays are all the same person.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'm shocked he is selling all his stuff now.
I thought he wouldve sold it 5 minutes after he retired.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Would it really be worth a lot of money this stuff? Great player but Snr’s star has dimmed a fair bit since back in the day & Geelong’s had success* since.

merch can't be worth what it used to be?

in the days before the Internet and when clubs had a washing machine?

a Brownlow or NS are limited edition, but there's a lot of boots and jumpers around

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
GAblett memorabilia auction.
Auctioneer: "here we have Lot #36: Ankle strapping worn by Mr Ablett in the Famous 1989 Grand Final. What am I offered $200?"

Punter: "But that's just a roll of bloody Elastoplast"

Auctioneer: "No Sir I assure you, that its the same roll, Mr Ablett personally touched it."

Punter: " I don't care if Mr Ablett wiped his bum with it, I wouldn't give you $2 for it".

Auctioneer: "SOLD to the Gentleman for $2. Thank you sir."

Punter: " But I don't want it."

Auctioneer: "It's all yours Sir, you can pick it up at the back of the room when the auction's completed"

Punter: "Oh well it's cheaper than what I'd pay at Chemist Warehouse"