General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

No research Bully, but what modern ruck has dominated over 30?
Goldy is still a warhorse, Ryder has been durable, Jacobs pretty good deep into his career, Minson a late bloomer, Ottens was 30s from memory. That's just off the top of my head but at the moment I don't see any rucks in Grundy's league coming through, provided he maintains his 20 disposal output then he's worth it. If & when that drops off to 12-14 disposals a match then less so, I don't think there's been any obvious decline from his form to date, more a changing of circumstances which lead to this breakdown.

Goldy is still a warhorse, Ryder has been durable, Jacobs pretty good deep into his career, Minson a late bloomer, Ottens was 30s from memory. That's just off the top of my head but at the moment I don't see any rucks in Grundy's league coming through, provided he maintains his 20 disposal output then he's worth it. If & when that drops off to 12-14 disposals a match then less so, I don't think there's been any obvious decline from his form to date, more a changing of circumstances which lead to this breakdown.
But none of them were worth 700 let alone a mil in there 30’s

Reactions: 2 users
Why isn’t Grundy a huge injury risk like Hopper and Taranto ? You seem to be very inconsistent with your thought process here or am I missing something?

Reactions: 1 user
People are still yet to realise how good Samson can be. For me he is the one who could replace Jack in 12 months time. He can play forward and ruck. For me the biggest hidden gem on our list.

Untouchable.
Not sure about untouchable but if he can build his tank and gain some strength he has the right mindset both in aggression and competitiveness to make a fist of it. Reckon his focus in the short term should be on building a massive tank. Also think hes 2-3 years away from having any real impact in the AFL. Was like Bambi in his debut game. Knowhere near the level.

Why isn’t Grundy a huge injury risk like Hopper and Taranto ? You seem to be very inconsistent with your thought process here or am I missing something?
For the simple reason he doesn't come with a hefty price tag in terms of draft capital, low ball risk for a second rounder, chances are he gets to a third club even in the event it doesn't work out at Melbourne. Good rucks are in very short supply at the minute.

Still wondering where this plethora of midfielders is, I reckon quality mids are expensive for a reason, a reason we clearly saw this year when our midfield was simply too shallow.

As for Mitchell, I don't reckon he would make much of a contribution, and neither does his current club, haven't they been hawking him to other clubs for 2 years now.

I don't think anyone is deliriously happy with the price we paid for Tarranto and the price we are likely to pay for Hopper, but if you want the player you have to pay the going rate.

The draft is always a lottery, geez the much touted No1 pick from this year is not looking impressive. There is no guarantee that the potentially good player early in the draft will turn into an actually good player when they get a bit older and get a few years in an AFL club. When you trade for players you get an actual good player, hence the cost.

DS

Reactions: 9 users
For the simple reason he doesn't come with a hefty price tag in terms of draft capital, low ball risk for a second rounder, chances are he gets to a third club even in the event it doesn't work out at Melbourne. Good rucks are in very short supply at the minute.
He is either an injury risk or he isn’t, draft cost is irrelevant.

He is either an injury risk or he isn’t, draft cost is irrelevant.
It's absolutely relevant, a second rounder is fair weight given he is coming back from injury & probably factors in some level of uncertainty but Hopper is commanding next year's first and then some. That for a player who has had two knee operations is a high price to pay, in fact I would say Hopper's value should only be fractionally more than Grundy, largely due to age, but not the current asking price.

Reactions: 1 users
It's absolutely relevant, a second rounder is fair weight given he is coming back from injury & probably factors in some level of uncertainty but Hopper is commanding next year's first and then some. That for a player who has had two knee operations is a high price to pay, in fact I would say Hopper's value should only be fractionally more than Grundy, largely due to age, but not the current asking price.
Grundy is only a second round pick because of mismanagement by Collingwood, it doesn’t alter his injury risk and large salary. Let’s be honest, you like the rest of us have no idea how bad those injuries are and what impact if any they will have in the future so you are only guessing and it is flawed logic to start with.

Grundy is only a second round pick because of mismanagement by Collingwood, it doesn’t alter his injury risk and large salary. Let’s be honest, you like the rest of us have no idea how bad those injuries are and what impact if any they will have in the future so you are only guessing and it is flawed logic to start with.
Let me put it this way, if Grundy bombs then Melbourne don't suffer too greatly, it's a fairly weighted risk & one which will probably extend the playing lives for both Gawn & Grundy, two of the best modern day rucks over the past few years. Even if he gets a few niggles he'll still be useful, I doubt Melbourne are picking him without factoring in some downside. If it's 3 years of peak performance then bonus, you could probably sell him on if the salary is too cumbersome, rucks still retain value, especially in this environment. As for Hopper? Never would I consider trading a future first round for an inside mid and certainly not with the gravy being demanded on top. The injury profile not a primary concern but if he misses chunks of next season then his absence will be amplified at the draft table. Next year's draft could be a tough watch if we slip back to 2021 form, could go either way & will require plenty of luck on the injury front.

Let me put it this way, if Grundy bombs then Melbourne don't suffer too greatly, it's a fairly weighted risk & one which will probably extend the playing lives for both Gawn & Grundy, two of the best modern day rucks over the past few years. Even if he gets a few niggles he'll still be useful, I doubt Melbourne are picking him without factoring in some downside. If it's 3 years of peak performance then bonus, you could probably sell him on if the salary is too cumbersome, rucks still retain value, especially in this environment. As for Hopper? Never would I consider trading a future first round for an inside mid and certainly not with the gravy being demanded on top. The injury profile not a primary concern but if he misses chunks of next season then his absence will be amplified at the draft table. Next year's draft could be a tough watch if we slip back to 2021 form, could go either way & will require plenty of luck on the injury front.
Every trade or draft pick has risks attached, we might not go with Hopper and he wins the Brownlow. Richmond is paying Blair good dollars to make these moves, let’s sit back and support these new blokes and not be so negative. The kid we picked next year might’ve been an injury prone dud or a Coleman medalist. We will never know so why stress. Hopper is coming so we can either embrace that or mull over the whatif outcome. Get on board Bully and go and find us some late gems, that is what you are good at. Goodnight !

Agree with bullus on this one. Hopper is not worth a first rounder. Its only the fact we are desparate to get some inside mids that we are paying up but not liking it.
Agree also re Grundy. If what is reported that he is happy for a pay cut and Pies paying 300k as well you would basically be getting him for 600k a year. That is a ridiculous bargain for what is a premier ruckman. Injuries aside the year off could have done wonders for his body and a risk worth taking.

Another the club should have looked at is Aaeon Francis from Bombers. Easy get with a 5th rounder and could be a huge bargain. KPD still in his prime and we definitely need a few of those. Just reckon we have gone very hard for these 2 which no doubt we need but have we taken the eye off the ball a little with other holes we need to fill. Tarrant will struggle next year and the rest are ageing. Apart from Gibcus who are our other young KPD coming through.

Reactions: 1 users
Barrett stated this morning that Taranto on around $700k per year on his Richmond contract