General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

Thank you kindly Richo, I think people generally accept that these discussions help thrash out ideas & opinions can shift depending on the evidence presented, nothing remains constant, particularly with deals being entwined with other deals. Everything needs to be assessed in totality which is why I gave the 2016 trade period a tick. I will always admit mistakes but I don't particularly appreciate the selective quoting in the midst of robust discussion. When the curtain closes on this trade period I will look at things in totality, if say Hopper comes over for a reasonable price then the Taranto deal becomes more appealing, there has been some suggestion in the media that this is the case. If it's next year's first & pick 31 & Soldo then I'm steering clear, I think there's other avenues which present as better long term options. And like every year I will put my suggestions in writing, time stamped & cast in stone to avoid accusations of being a hindsight charlatan. If that's not enough then I'll leave it to others to do the same but if those doling out the criticism cannot open themselves up to the same level of scrutiny then the whole caper becomes a meaningless slanging match.

I enjoy these discussions and its good that many of us have different opinions (makes for better discussion). I wouldn't bring up old quotes personally but I know others do.

I totally agree on the trade / draft period being reviewed in totality. It will be interesting to see what we get through the Hopper trade, if its Hopper, 31 and Soldo it will be interesting to see what we get back (as we must get something back). A F2 and 59 and 61 would make for a good trade IMO. It means we slide back a little next year and gain a couple of late picks that the Giants won't use (and will want to move on) that will come in a lot from their current position once f/s's etc are taken out. Potentially into around 45 I suspect.

Reactions: 2 users
Regarding the key forward talk...we did win a premiership with 1 key forward...I would love to go back to a bit of chaos footy, we have a good number of talented mid and small players

So Blake Acres leaves St Kilda says he wants to go home, then suddenly decides he wants to come back to Vic,

So Blake Acres leaves St Kilda says he wants to go home, then suddenly decides he wants to come back to Vic,
Frockers offer $180,000 + match payments Cartoon offered $1M over 3 years
So chose Cartoon and their limitless salary cap

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Frockers offer $180,000 + match payments Cartoon offered $1M over 3 years
So chose Cartoon and their limitless salary cap
Is anyone in the AFL looking at the CFC neverending Salary Cap and the Cats, with their rumored real estate shenanigans and dealings.

Melbourne are going to get Grundy for pick 27. Meanwhile we paid pick 4 equivalent for Taranto.

I enjoy these discussions and its good that many of us have different opinions (makes for better discussion). I wouldn't bring up old quotes personally but I know others do.

I totally agree on the trade / draft period being reviewed in totality. It will be interesting to see what we get through the Hopper trade, if its Hopper, 31 and Soldo it will be interesting to see what we get back (as we must get something back). A F2 and 59 and 61 would make for a good trade IMO. It means we slide back a little next year and gain a couple of late picks that the Giants won't use (and will want to move on) that will come in a lot from their current position once f/s's etc are taken out. Potentially into around 45 I suspect.
Didn't McCartney mention they don't really want the future first because rules say something has to go back the other way and they don't want to hand anything back......Happy to stand corrected.

Is anyone in the AFL looking at the CFC neverending Salary Cap and the Cats, with their rumored real estate shenanigans and dealings.
One still offers money under the table but Geelong is taking the *smile* now.
Expecting players to sign on under base payments..
They apprantly offered Hopper 4 yrs at 550k
*smile* that deal wouldve failed in 2015.

Didn't McCartney mention they don't really want the future first because rules say something has to go back the other way and they don't want to hand anything back......Happy to stand corrected.
McCarthy is a fkwit..
We have just given them 2 1st rounders for uncontracted player.
If they liked him so much why didn't they make an offer. Not just a offer to please the media.
Richmond should tell him to *smile* himself and stop acting like a clown. 1 future 1st rounder and Soldo is more then enough.
I'm shocked that Kingsley hasn't raised any other kid, he was here for 4 yrs.
*smile* our kids must be shittt

I’m sure that if you trade a future pick it’s not on the proviso you get anything back

I’m sure that if you trade a future pick it’s not on the proviso you get anything back
I only ask, as this is a quote from McCartney, and I couldn'twork out what he meant...."Everyone would understand that once that future first goes out, unless something else is coming in, the futures can't be touched so that's what remains.

It won't be a case of spreading it over three years, there will be an amount paid with the total spread. Eg 300k for the third year, paid as 3 x 600ks to be 1.8 all up.

In terms of Gold Coast, I don't think a club can alter a current contract in that way because it would give the opportunity to manipulate the salary cap rules.
yeah, thanks. The first part makes sense, it is what I thought but I probably expressed it poorly.

However, I thought clubs altered contracts all the time. Isn‘t that how they get into these backended arrangements? The media are always speculating that in order to fit the big name free agents in, clubs go to the other players on their lists and alter their contracts along these same lines.

Sounds like that is just media click bait then.

Melbourne are going to get Grundy for pick 27. Meanwhile we paid pick 4 equivalent for Taranto.
Come on KK, firstly the Grundy deal hasn’t even gone through yet. And secondly we don’t even know how much of Grundys salary each team is taking on.

As for Taranto, can we stop using points as a measure of trade value. It means jack *smile* unless you are bidding for father/son or academy players.

Reactions: 1 user
Cartoon end up with some calling him a elite winger Acres for a future third
If we were after him they’d want a first at least

Thank you kindly Richo, I think people generally accept that these discussions help thrash out ideas & opinions can shift depending on the evidence presented, nothing remains constant, particularly with deals being entwined with other deals. Everything needs to be assessed in totality which is why I gave the 2016 trade period a tick. I will always admit mistakes but I don't particularly appreciate the selective quoting in the midst of robust discussion. When the curtain closes on this trade period I will look at things in totality, if say Hopper comes over for a reasonable price then the Taranto deal becomes more appealing, there has been some suggestion in the media that this is the case. If it's next year's first & pick 31 & Soldo then I'm steering clear, I think there's other avenues which present as better long term options. And like every year I will put my suggestions in writing, time stamped & cast in stone to avoid accusations of being a hindsight charlatan. If that's not enough then I'll leave it to others to do the same but if those doling out the criticism cannot open themselves up to the same level of scrutiny then the whole caper becomes a meaningless slanging match.

Exactly, and what people don't understand is the art of drafting is not spotting individual talent but developing a system and a methodology that maintains your list balance.

The fact is there has never been a bad pick made in a draft. Every single kid has the capabilities to turn into a good AFL player when they are taken.

After they are drafted there are so many variable factors that it is just blind luck and impossible to predict. So when you endorsed the 2016 draft you were likely correct, what happened next was the issue.

What you are talking about is a methodology of how you meet the needs of your shortcomings right now while still having access to address your future needs. That's pure list management.

Reactions: 1 user
The discussions and debate are perfectly fine BH. From where I stand we need capitalise now on the team we have. We are still well within the window of winning another premiership. We can’t be standing still hoping in 5 years time we can contend again. We might have to overpay for Taranto and Hopper but if that means returning to the top 4 and another crack at a flag that’s fine by me. I want to see premierships.

Further to that a good point was made yesterday by either Dermie or Montagna. Our list profile is out of whack. We have a scarce number of players in that 24-26 year old bracket. Adding Hopper and Taranto improves that and at the same time adds quality across our midfield.

Reactions: 7 users