General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

Was feeling a little depressed reading some of the analysis of the deal we did today, so I took meself off to the 2016 Draft thread thingo and found myself in a sort of parallel universe.

Wouldn't ya know it, some of the same posters who *smile* canned the Dion deal are virtually using identical terminology for the Taranto deal which is pretty funny in hindsight.

No need to name names.... YOU people know who you are;)

So my theory is, we know what happened next so I'll just parallel park my arse in this universe until next Grand Final day to see us win it!

Good point. I mean what’s the alternative? Go to draft and take speculative picks? Even if we did that those players aren’t having the type of impact Hopper and Taranto will have few years. These guys make us instantly better and keep us in the window.

Plus our younger mids now have two guns they can learn from. Sonsie and Ross in particular will benefit I think.

Reactions: 4 users
How many ex suns and giants have won b+fs at new clubs

2m pete and tom this year

Reactions: 1 user
Jenkins is absolutely right, even though I don’t think we should abandon Hopper now.

But ‘get a tall forward’ is a definite YES
which everyone knows

Jenkins is not absolutely right. He has an opinion on one option. Need to question how detailed his knowledge of Richmond's list is and how we have been performing over 2022. Suggest he has only a superficial knowledge.

Our no 1 problem has been the clearances especially center clearances. In the world of 6-6-6 center clearances are king. The need is to fix the midfield and Taranto and Hopper do that right now.

We can look at the tall forward as the next project and given how this is unfolding, over 2021 2022, then it is clear the club has a plan

Reactions: 2 users
Let's say we don't go after Tarrant and Hopper this year, we draft in some young mids (apparently dime a dozen so easy to do) and they develop over the next few years. Ok, in say 2024/5 we have the nice shiny new young mids we need . . . oh, wait a minute, in the meantime we have had 2 gun forwards retire, the best player in decades is gone, we're looking for rucks and a couple of key defenders have also retired. So, while we're picking up and developing these new young mids we're losing older players and drafting for holes left by retirements. Sounds like chasing our tail and a recipe for mediocrity to me, we'll end up in the worst possible place - middle of the ladder not contending and getting crap draft picks.

We have a deficiency in the midfield, we all know that. We have a gap in the 23-26 year old players, again, we all know that. So, we target 2 good mids in the right age bracket - seems sensible to me. We can continue to contend and look to fill gaps as they arise. Draft, free agent, develop current prospects, all of these things are being planned and implemented and if anyone thinks the need for a key forward or two is a surprise, they've been asleep. I doubt our club has been asleep, indeed, we know they haven't been asleep, a couple of years ago they got Samson Ryan which was forward planning for ruck and key forward, and we are developing him for those roles, but it does take time.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Jenkins is absolutely right, even though I don’t think we should abandon Hopper now.

But ‘get a tall forward’ is a definite YES
which everyone knows
Get an emerging key forward for 250,000?
Simple right.... ummm who?

The key forward aint going to be easy.
Unlikely to find one this year

Was feeling a little depressed reading some of the analysis of the deal we did today, so I took meself off to the 2016 Draft thread thingo and found myself in a sort of parallel universe.

Wouldn't ya know it, some of the same posters who *smile* canned the Dion deal are virtually using identical terminology for the Taranto deal which is pretty funny in hindsight.

No need to name names.... YOU people know who you are;)

So my theory is, we know what happened next so I'll just parallel park my arse in this universe until next Grand Final day to see us win it!
Now for the big question, do I settle for Dan's trading in it's entirety or look to the draft for a better return? It's a tough one as I don't particularly like the Prestia trade and feel that pick 6 will give a greater return. In saying that, the Caddy & Nankervis trades were bargains so I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Ins - Prestia, Caddy, Nankervis
Out - Deledio, Vickery, Maric, Mitch Clark, Marcon, Greg Clark, Reece McKenzie, McKernan, Mitch Grigg, Jaden McGrath

Draft Picks - 26, 27, 57, 80, PSD 6, Rookie 6, Rookie 24, Rookie 42.

This is why I make notes every year, because every year people dig up quotes in isolation, the date October 17 2016, I took the Prestia trade as a package deal. The fact I wanted the Deledio pick in play had nothing to do with Prestia as a player. This is not the same argument, both different players & I can tell you 100% I won't be taking Taranto for this particular exercise.

Get an emerging forward?Thought we have a couple in the 2s that we are nurturing?

So every kid who doesn’t want to go interstate should be allowed to stay in their own state because of mental health risks ?

It's actually the biggest threat to everything the AFL tries to do in terms of equalisation and growing the game. Victoria is always going to have more draftees and the small market teams are always going to lose them.

I think the AFL needs to look at doing something to benefit draftees and clubs, like standard 5 year deals that build up to 400k bases by the final year. Perhaps even a salary cap tax on players from expansion clubs.

If he is as unprofessional as is now being touted then that doesn't say much for our recruiting team given we were prepared to sell the farm for him.

It just shows why drafting is so much about luck. Easy to be professional when mum and dad tell you when to go to bed, take you places on time and have dinner waiting on the table when you get home.

This whole Bowes situation seems to make very little sense.

As I understand it, GC don’t want Bowes because he is owed $750K or so for two years and they can’t afford to pay him. So to get him off the books, they want to package him up with pick 7 and convince another club to take the package to get this salary off the books.

Lots of clubs are interested, obviously. Problem is, most of them can’t afford that kind of salary for a reserves’ level footballer, so they will take him and spread his salary out over three years so they can afford the salary.

There are two logical inconsistencies here.

1. Why would Bowes agree to take his salary over three years instead of two? Yes, it gives him another year but, if he is not, AFL standard, he is just taking longer to get his money. What is in it for him? He is obviously out on his ear after two years or three, so he may as well only waste two years of his life.

2. If he agrees to spreading the income out at Geelong or Essendon or wherever, why doesn’t he just agree to it at Gold Coast? Surely, if Geelong can spread his salary out over three years, so can Gold Coast.

So why don’t Gold Coast just go to him and say, “Lets spread your salary out.” Why is the AFL sanctioning this and helping out some other club?

These sums don’t add up.

It won't be a case of spreading it over three years, there will be an amount paid with the total spread. Eg 300k for the third year, paid as 3 x 600ks to be 1.8 all up.

In terms of Gold Coast, I don't think a club can alter a current contract in that way because it would give the opportunity to manipulate the salary cap rules.

This is why I make notes every year, because every year people dig up quotes in isolation, the date October 17 2016, I took the Prestia trade as a package deal. The fact I wanted the Deledio pick in play had nothing to do with Prestia as a player. This is not the same argument, both different players & I can tell you 100% I won't be taking Taranto for this particular exercise.

Your posting in this thread is some of the most insightful stuff I've seen on forums. You could be a list manager.

I've been having a bit of deeper look at our list since we finished and feeling a bit uneasy about our path but holding on to hope that we can contend again. After reading your insight I'm very concerned we are heading for a cliff.

Reactions: 3 users
God I hate this time of year. Clubs dig heals in and all expect two first round picks for anybody who wants to change clubs - all they do is stuff around for a week or so and then by some miricle most players get to the club of their choice in the last day or even last hour. This grandstanding and brinkmanship by clubs fools nobody so why do they do it. Just make the trade a two day event and get on with it. Bloody press love yapping on and on as if they have a crystal ball and know what happening. Rubbish I say. hahahaha

Demons either don't value this draft at all, or are super desperate for a pick to get Grundy.

They've swapped 33, 43 and 53 for 27. Thats a lot of capital to move up 6 spots. They said they wouldn't have used them but it doesn't mean they are worthless.

In terms of points value, thats 611 points so move up 6 spots (equivalent of 140 points to move up those 6 spots).

I'll bet Port use them to trade up the draft order in order to get better picks to satisfy North for JHF.

Your posting in this thread is some of the most insightful stuff I've seen on forums. You could be a list manager.

I've been having a bit of deeper look at our list since we finished and feeling a bit uneasy about our path but holding on to hope that we can contend again. After reading your insight I'm very concerned we are heading for a cliff.
Thank you kindly Richo, I think people generally accept that these discussions help thrash out ideas & opinions can shift depending on the evidence presented, nothing remains constant, particularly with deals being entwined with other deals. Everything needs to be assessed in totality which is why I gave the 2016 trade period a tick. I will always admit mistakes but I don't particularly appreciate the selective quoting in the midst of robust discussion. When the curtain closes on this trade period I will look at things in totality, if say Hopper comes over for a reasonable price then the Taranto deal becomes more appealing, there has been some suggestion in the media that this is the case. If it's next year's first & pick 31 & Soldo then I'm steering clear, I think there's other avenues which present as better long term options. And like every year I will put my suggestions in writing, time stamped & cast in stone to avoid accusations of being a hindsight charlatan. If that's not enough then I'll leave it to others to do the same but if those doling out the criticism cannot open themselves up to the same level of scrutiny then the whole caper becomes a meaningless slanging match.

Reactions: 5 users