General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean by 'good'. He was a star for quite a while. Looking at his Brownlow votes there has been a fair drop-off since 2019. The graphs heading downwards. 2018- 17 votes=10th, 2019-23 votes=6th (same as Dusty), 2020-6 votes, 2021-9 votes, 2022-1 vote.
Grundy will be a weapon around finals time, big game player.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not saying we should get him, however I’m surprised Crowden has got the sars from Freo , obviously I don’t watch anywhere enough footy as I thought he was a regular starting 22 for them

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Grundy will be a weapon around finals time, big game player.
Since 2018 Pies Finals votes by the Coaches-

Adams 26
Sidebottom 26
De Goey 18
Crisp 16
Pendlebury 16
Moore 14
Howe 13
Cox 10
Maynard 8
Grundy 6

Big time Finals player, 10th best at the Pies!! ;)
Probably ranks him the last 5 years about 80th best finals player for 2018-2022 :unsure:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Since 2018 Pies Finals votes by the Coaches-

Adams 26
Sidebottom 26
De Goey 18
Crisp 16
Pendlebury 16
Moore 14
Howe 13
Cox 10
Maynard 8
Grundy 6

Big time Finals player, 10th best at the Pies!! ;)
Probably ranks him the last 5 years about 80th best finals player for 2018-2022 :unsure:

1. Martin
2. Shuey
3. Neale
4. Petracca
5. Oliver
6. Grundy
7. Liberatore
8. Wines
9. Bontempelli
10. Edwards

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I know man, I know :rolleyes:
Where the Great List manager Glenn Luff comes from :poop:
Well, interestingly, Luff was the one who made the presentation on the state of the St Kilda list to…wait for it….Noble and co. who were behind the overall St Kilda review.

Luff walked out on Noble at North for not being on the same page.

Now that’s weird.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I'm confused? :unsure:
After the trade period ends, then it's time to see the best 23 for 2023.

Geelong

B:
Jake Kolodjashnij, Sam De Koning, Jack Henry
HB: Zach Guthrie, Tom Stewart, Jed Bews
C: Max Holmes, Patrick Dangerfield, Isaac Smith
HF: Gryan Miers, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close
F: Tyson Stengle, Tom Hawkins, Gary Rohan
FOLL: Rhys Stanley, Mark Blicavs, Cameron Guthrie
I/C: Mitch Duncan, Brandan Parfitt, Mark O’Connor, Tom Atkins
Medical Sub: Zach Tuohy

"Not many changes are needed to a side that won the Grand Final by 81 points. The defence is young and healthy.
Elder statesman Mitch Duncan may play a similar role to Joel Selwood this season, coming off the bench and missing a game here and there to keep him fresh. New recruit Jack Bowes will likely be the first cab off the rank to fill a midfield or back-flank spot should form/injury warrant a change.
In the forward line, Gary Rohan’s age may mean he also misses the odd game to rest up, with Ollie Henry a handy replacement as he tries to earn a regular spot in the dynamic, pressurised Cats forward line.
Others on the outer such as new recruit Tanner Bruhn, Sam Menegola, Jonathon Ceglar, and Esava Ratugolea may have to wait their turn to break into the reigning premiers’ side.
With Pick 7 also in the upcoming National Draft, it is an enviable position Geelong finds itself in."

So from me - As well as losing their inspirational leader, a four-time premiership player not one of the three new recruits from the '10/10 media graded' trade period are named in their best 23? :unsure:

Richmond
B: Nathan Broad, Robbie Tarrant, Dylan Grimes
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Noah Balta, Daniel Rioli
C: Marlion Pickett, Tim Taranto, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Maurice Rioli Jr, Jack Riewoldt, Shai Bolton
F: Noah Cumberland, Tom Lynch, Dustin Martin
FOLL: Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Jacob Hopper
I/C
: Trent Cotchin, Jayden Short, Ivan Soldo, Liam Baker
Medical Sub: Jack Graham

"Richmond was one of the many winners from the trade period as it put itself firmly back into premiership contention in 2023.
Although the Tigers have lost experienced premiership players, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert, their midfield won’t lose much talent bringing in two former Giants in Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto.
With the depth of the midfield group now expanded, Richmond can use its best six in many different ways. Both Taranto and Hopper are powerful inside midfielders, who can roll forward which will allow the likes of Shai Bolton and Dustin Martin to push through the middle as well."

From me - So they named both the Richmond in-comings in the best 23.

How did they win the draft? Bringing in bench sitters? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
So, all based on stats & spreadsheets, a truly great way to critique a football teams list. :rolleyes:
Where the ruckmen get hundreds of points for just tapping the ball, and who cares where it goes and who gets it :rolleyes:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I know man, I know :rolleyes:
Where the Great List manager Glenn Luff comes from :poop:
Champion Data have a very sound methodology, much more reliable than coaches votes, Brownlow votes & random medals.

vs Giants (PF 2019)

25 disposals, 75 hit outs, 11 clearances

vs Cats (QF 2019)

21 disposals, 47 hit outs, 7 clearances

vs Tigers (2018 PF)

21 disposals, 56 hit outs, 5 clearances, 1 goal

vs Eagles (2018 QF)

18 disposals, 48 hit outs, 5 clearances

vs Giants (2018 SF)

18 disposals, 38 hit outs, 2 clearances

vs Eagles (2020 EF)

12 disposals, 19 hit outs, 2 clearances

vs Eagles (2018 GF)

10 disposals, 49 hit outs, 4 clearances

vs Cats

10 disposals, 20 hit outs, 2 clearances

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
So, all based on stats & spreadsheets, a truly great way to critique a football teams list. :rolleyes:
Much better than Brownlow votes. Honestly, when was the last time these football awards recognised anything other than midfielders?

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Much better than Brownlow votes. Honestly, when was the last time these football awards recognised anything other than midfielders?

Brownlow votes should never be used as a means of deciding the merit of a player. The voting is done by umpires who don't look beyond their noses.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Champion Data have a very sound methodology, much more reliable than coaches votes, Brownlow votes & random medals.

vs Giants (PF 2019)

25 disposals, 75 hit outs, 11 clearances

vs Cats (QF 2019)

21 disposals, 47 hit outs, 7 clearances

vs Tigers (2018 PF)

21 disposals, 56 hit outs, 5 clearances, 1 goal

vs Eagles (2018 QF)

18 disposals, 48 hit outs, 5 clearances

vs Giants (2018 SF)

18 disposals, 38 hit outs, 2 clearances

vs Eagles (2020 EF)

12 disposals, 19 hit outs, 2 clearances

vs Eagles (2018 GF)

10 disposals, 49 hit outs, 4 clearances

vs Cats

10 disposals, 20 hit outs, 2 clearances
Yeah hit outs that don't win you games, a great stat!!

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
The umps check that rubbish before they vote, they got sucked into 'check the stats', so they don't give BOG's to Robbert Klomp! ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Agree, Grundy still has plenty of good footy in him. People over-react to present circumstances and underestimate long-term evidence.
The long term evidence is that when Grundy was at his best he was number 1 ruckman and playing the majority of his time on the ball. He will now play 50% at best in that role. So will the undisputed best ruckman in the AFL

It's not that I don't think Grundy was and can still be a very good player, it is that he won't be able to replicate the role he had when was so good.

To me it's like Carlton recruiting Tom Lynch when the already have McKay and Curnow.