General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Bowes has played some ok footy but to get Pick 7, I'd do it if we had space. North are crazy not to do it.
That’s my thinking. You are paying for cap space to get pick 7. Like you said North would be crazy not to do it.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Does that make Bowes like a sort of Veale Deal.

Kids been on good coin for not much stress for a few years now so its no wonder he hasnt stepped it right up, hasnt really had to.

Now the crunch has hit.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
So let me get this right. If a club is willing to take Bowes then the Suns will hand over pick 7? Where do we sign?
Apparently heavily back-ended contract so who knows what remains for the 2 years but must be huge if pick 7 is being offered.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That’s my thinking. You are paying for cap space to get pick 7. Like you said North would be crazy not to do it.
Dudoro's crazy enough to do it!

The Crows should be into that deal chance at another top 10 p[ick as should the Eagles or Freo or Port, or anyone with the space in the cap, even St Kiddinme.
Demons too should look at it a marquee pick or 2 or 3 if they trade Jackson in the middle of their premiership window.

Basically any bottom 8 club with a top 10 pick with plenty of space and plenty of duds that can easily make another delisiting would be worth looking at for 2 top 10 picks.

Last edited:

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'm happy our club keeps Clear of these cash dump trades.
Too much of a risk bringing in a reserves grade footballer for 2yrs on 600k. Just because he comes with pick 7.
We didn't save Collingwood when they dumped Treloar Stephenson & Phillips
So I would expect us to keep clear

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Too much of a risk bringing in a reserves grade footballer for 2yrs on 600k. Just because he comes with pick 7.
Me too Zips, but it could still work for a few others

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
You wouldn't be paying the money for Bowes. You are paying the money for pick 7 in the draft.
If he’s best 22 then definitely worth it.
Only 2 yrs left and if you get a gun player at pick 7, it’s a bargain. The cost of doing smart business.
If he’s purely VFL level, I’m not sure how the dynamic at club land would work with other players. Would be awkward for him kicking off the dew on $600-650k

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
How Bowes would struggle in our 2's
With that deal a club like Melbourne smack bang in their middle of a Premiership window could trade Jackson and end up with 3 first round picks, they just delist another dud and Bowes takes the list spot it just costs em some cap sapce which is covered by 3 first round draftees anyway who could all be high quality kids that could help them extend their success.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Agree. But I'd rather a good player (Treloar, Grundy) on a cheap subsidised wage than a dud you have to pay big money and a pick 7.

I'm not against the idea per se, overpaying a player who can do a job for you for a draft pick sure, just against this particular one.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Only 2 yrs left and if you get a gun player at pick 7, it’s a bargain. The cost of doing smart business.
If he’s purely VFL level, I’m not sure how the dynamic at club land would work with other players. Would be awkward for him kicking off the dew on $600-650k
He's best 10 in the Suns VFL.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
That would be the key forward we need at 7. I’d do it.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Apparently heavily back-ended contract so who knows what remains for the 2 years but must be huge if pick 7 is being offered.
That could cause a massive problem depending on how much salary is backed into his last two years.
Without regard to our salary cap or prospective tradees, it would be interesting to consider what value could be allocated to a pick 7 in the draft. Especially for a club that frequently plays finals n rarely gets access to a top end talent.

Salary for an experienced or mature age player, without being a massive talent would reasonably be considered at around $ 200 k / $ 250 k per year, below the median average, but the average is inflated by clubs paying premium players $700 k / $ 1,3 mill per year.
So then the overs would be approx $350 to $400 k per year for two years. Would a bonus draft pick 7 be worth that kind of investment for the future potential???

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
That could cause a massive problem depending on how much salary is backed into his last two years.
Without regard to our salary cap or prospective tradees, it would be interesting to consider what value could be allocated to a pick 7 in the draft. Especially for a club that frequently plays finals n rarely gets access to a top end talent.

Salary for an experienced or mature age player, without being a massive talent would reasonably be considered at around $ 200 k / $ 250 k per year, below the median average, but the average is inflated by clubs paying premium players $700 k / $ 1,3 mill per year.
So then the overs would be approx $350 to $400 k per year for two years. Would a bonus draft pick 7 be worth that kind of investment for the future potential???
What's minimum wage for a pick 7? Hopefully you get a good player and Bowe improves. The average salary across the two from that perspective does become more palatable. He was highly praised as a junior. Being used as steak knives in a deal couldn't come as a bigger kick in the pants for a kid once touted as potential pick 1. Bloody interesting to see how this turns out.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
If we did the Pick 7 + Bowes trade I think it would be only for one reason.

Because we need the pick for the Taranto + Hopper deal.

BTW, I have heard that Bowes is owed $1.6 million for the next two years. That is why pick 7 is included.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users