Get Rid of the Following - No Excuses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Get Rid of the Following - No Excuses

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
its true spud has had 4yrs to get things right and he has made errors of judgement but do you blame him considering the pressure he is under knowingly the reputation the richmond football club has regarding the quick fix sack the coach solution.if anything we are our own worst enemy in this regard.spud more or less had no choice but to go for a quick short term solution which in turn would give him the confidence to start rebuilding the club the way he wants to.

If that's the attitude any coach takes then, imo, they get what they deserve J2R. I'm happy to support Danny or any coach of the Richmond Football Club, but if they are interested in self-preservation, rather than the long-term future of the Club, I can't support that.

I don't think that of Danny anyway. I think he has overrated the team and where we are at and I hope he learns fast.

If anything, Danny is his own worst enemy. He coaches for today, not tomorrow and it comes back to haunt him. We can all see what needs to happen at the time it needs to happen, but he seems to have to be belted over the head before he wakes up.

P

PuntRoadRoar

we have a bad habit of blame the coach its about time the players stood up and took the blame, we lack enough genuine leaders around the club.. stand up players and quit this stupid talk about the coach needs to be sacked, my god..................

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Maybe that's part of the problem of this Club. It never comes back to the players. And that's not the players' fault. It's the Clubs.

Why don't enough players show enough initiative, leadership, spirit? We don't develop these qualities in our players and haven't for a long time.

I'm not about trying to find someone to blame, just about trying to understand why we never seem to move forward as quickly as some other Clubs seem able to do.

We're always one step forward, two steps back.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but I've been through this too many times and it just gets to you after a while.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
MC24 said:
johnson2richo2003 said:
its true spud has had 4yrs to get things right and he has made errors of judgement but do you blame him considering the pressure he is under knowingly the reputation the richmond football club has regarding the quick fix sack the coach solution.if anything we are our own worst enemy in this regard.spud more or less had no choice but to go for a quick short term solution which in turn would give him the confidence to start rebuilding the club the way he wants to.

If that's the attitude any coach takes then, imo, they get what they deserve J2R. I'm happy to support Danny or any coach of the Richmond Football Club, but if they are interested in self-preservation, rather than the long-term future of the Club, I can't support that.

I don't think that of Danny anyway. I think he has overrated the team and where we are at and I hope he learns fast.

If anything, Danny is his own worst enemy. He coaches for today, not tomorrow and it comes back to haunt him. We can all see what needs to happen at the time it needs to happen, but he seems to have to be belted over the head before he wakes up.

Perfectly said MC24 - Frawely is his own worst enemy for persisting with proven hacks and for persisting with a negative boring style of play. As he is on a performance based contract it seems to me that his only concern is to scrape wins at the expense of looking to the future and building a strong team that can one day challenge for the flag. He doesn't want to take risks with young players and with game plans as he is too scared that he will have to go backwards slightly to go forwards and that the team won't be able to grind away enough games so that he can have a decent pay cheque at the end of the day. I don't care what anyone says but Frawely is not in the best interest for the future of the RFC. And I hope that Miller realises this sooner rather than later.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
MC24 said:
Maybe that's part of the problem of this Club. It never comes back to the players. And that's not the players' fault. It's the Clubs.

Why don't enough players show enough initiative, leadership, spirit? We don't develop these qualities in our players and haven't for a long time.

I'm not about trying to find someone to blame, just about trying to understand why we never seem to move forward as quickly as some other Clubs seem able to do.

We're always one step forward, two steps back.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but I've been through this too many times and it just gets to you after a while.

MC24 - exactly right. But I ask you this question - why would Hilton try if he knows he's gonna get a game next week? I don't care if we don't have anyone to replace him with, but he and others should have been dropped weeks ago - even if it meant to replace him with the boot studder. Its the recruiting managers responsibility to add talent to the list and its the coaches responsibility to instill discipline and leadership qualities in the players. Frawely and Beck have been holding us back for 4 years and its time to say goodbye, if not now then year end.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Harry said:
… I ask you this question - why would Hilton try if he knows he's gonna get a game next week? Frawely and Beck have been holding us back for 4 years and its time to say goodbye, if not now then year end.

I agree about Rory. That's the type of players we develop Harry and that's what frustrates me the most.

As supporters, we so look forward to every game and think we've got so much motivation to win, but so often our team comes out like they're going for a kick to kick in the local park. How annoying and frustrating is that?

And it hasn't just been since Danny has been here either.

The Club has identified that we need additional support in the recruiting department. Therefore, regardless of who was in that position, would they have done a better job? It became obvious to Greg Miller that the Club didn't focus enough resources in that area. Thankfully that's now happening.

We can get rid of people, but if we just do that then we don't see the real problems. The real problem was not necessarily Greg Beck, but that we didn't have enough people in the recruiting department. You don't solve those problems by getting rid of people, but by helping people to do their job better.

As for Danny, I've said it all before. Do I need to go over old ground?

All I'll say is that what holds us back is that our solutions are the cause of our problems. And I know you probably won't agree and I don't expect you to, but that's my opinion.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
If yo uguys honestly believe Rory Hilton isnt trying i think yo uare all sadly deluded. There are many reasons why players may struggle for form but to say he isnt trying is jsut ridiculous. This is the guys career, he is obviously lacking confidene adn should know there is no way he is guaranteed a spot. I question the wisdom of those ridiculous posts sugegsting palyers dont try coz they are guaranteed a spot. What oyu think they dont have pride in their performance being shown all over the country? you think they dont want to be part of a wiining team? Premiership team? What a joke. those sugegstions are ridiculous and a gross overreaction to 3 losses.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Disagree there shawry. There's nothing like competition to make a player try harder.
Pettifer has been selected for 25 weeks on 5 posessions a game average. If he had to really perform to hold a spot he'd do more than he's done.
Unless of course he's just not capable of it.
Surely he can't take pride in his performance to date, he should be embarrassed collecting the pay cheque.
Playing someone like that at Coburg until they really get some good touch and endevour must benefit them.
Kayne has done stuff all for Coburg and still gets selected.
If there were players at Coburg ready to come into the seniors I bet there are a few more players who'd pull their finger out to hold their spot in the ones.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Rosy i agree competition enhances someones competitiveness it has to, but to say a bloek is out there and not trying as others referred to above is just ridiculous. Blokes dont want to play badly adn they do care about winning. If htey didnt i dont think they would have made it there in the first place.

AS for Pettifer to average 5 possessions shows he has spent a lot of time on the bench. It is a different kettle of fish.

There is noway you will convince me that any AFL player doenst give a *smile* nor try, i just cannot fathom that. people have pride in themselves and their own performances. I dont think ti is about the paycheck, i think that has nothign to do with it. If anything possibly getting a greater raise should motivate them more.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
What it comes down to is giving the players motivation to do better. And, at our Club, that doesn't seem to happen. Some of them are just living in one big comfort zone. They never change, never improve and you never see anything different from them. Why? Because no one expects anything more from them.

So, season after season, we get the same old story. Might be slightly different players, but same old story.

Until we wake up to this we're going nowhere.

Sorry about all the negativity, but sometimes you just have to tell it like it is. Whether it's the truth or not, I don't know. All I know is we've been seeing the same old thing, time after time. If our Club doesn't change, nothing will change. Making excuses for people doesn't help them change or want to change.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
shawry said:
What is your suggested solution to this perceived problem then MC24? Would be interested to hear how you believe this can be changed.

It's a lot of what people have been saying already shawry. I don't think I'm saying anything new.

For a start, give them some responsibility and onus for the role they play within the team. And make them earn their spot, not just think they have to turn up.

Danny could be a lot more pro active in the way he goes about it. He always seems to get on the back foot, regardless of the opposition.

Players seem to develop at other Clubs, they become leaders, show initiative and their team has a great spirit about it. Not necessarily at ours.

Team spirit is perhaps the biggest thing we need to develop, because that can change a lot of things and will mean that things have changed for the better at our Club.

We have some players who do everything they can to win a game and then there are others who find places to hide on a public arena. That says it doesn't mean enough to those players, because if it did, they could find it within themselves to play at a new level. To forget their own insecurities, etc. and play for the team, rather than for themselves.

What I fear the most is that we've got some good young players coming through and I'd hate to see them go through their whole careers like some others before them at this Club.

I know things are changing and will continue to change shawry. For all our sakes, I hope it's sooner, rather than later. The patience just isn't there this week.

Don't know if I've answered your question shawry, but it's the best I can do right now.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
MC24 said:
The patience just isn't there this week.

Don't know if I've answered your question shawry, but it's the best I can do right now.

Know the feeling MC. Nothing a few wins won't fix. Go Tiges please....it won't be pretty around here if they lose on Sat. Surely the team wouldn't wish that on us?

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
rosy3 said:
Go Tiges please....it won't be pretty around here if they lose on Sat. Surely the team wouldn't wish that on us?
If we lose I'm moving out of home... I hate living with a carlton supporter (well when they beat us anyway ;D)

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
MC24 said:
johnson2richo2003 said:

good point about danny however it stil stems back to our reputation in regards to coach,s.why do you think sheedy,thompson etc knocked us back?spud will be the 1st to admit he wasnt even close to being 1st pick.is it his fault? no.we are now paying for our past sins.[not that i dont think spud cant coach].we made our bed and now we have to sleep in it.there is only one coach in which the richmond football club would totally benefit from and thats sheedy but sadly as yrs goes by the less likely that will happen as a coach anyway.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
good point about danny however it stil stems back to our reputation in regards to coach,s.why do you think sheedy,thompson etc knocked us back?
I realise that J2R. I've made this point a number of times. I'm not advocating sacking another coach. Just making some observations and how I believe we could be better.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
MC24 said:
good point about danny however it stil stems back to our reputation in regards to coach,s.why do you think sheedy,thompson etc knocked us back?
I realise that J2R. I've made this point a number of times. I'm not advocating sacking another coach. Just making some observations and how I believe we could be better.

Craig Lambert is waiting eagerly rubbing his hands and licking his lips while spud the dud completely loses the plot. Don't worry guys, I'm sure Lambert would love to come home and coach us. The guy has a winning mentality due to being assistant to the back to back premiers and was also illustrated by his decision to leave a rabble of a clud like RFC when he did.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Isnt Garry O Donnel tha assistant coach up there??

I thought Lambert was just there midfield coach??

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Tigerdog said:
Isnt Garry O Donnel tha assistant coach up there??

I thought Lambert was just there midfield coach??
quite true TD.least spud would know that ;D