Gill’s legacy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gill’s legacy

Benny "strangely not being considered". Nothing strange about it.

There would have been alot of gnashing of the Old Xavs cufflinks

In Bennys interview.

'Yeah very interesting presentation, um, thanks brendon, well be in touch'

(Door closes behind Brendon)

'Stewardship? Cultural Capitwhat? Transparency? Whats he gonna make his office in Wonder Woman's jet? *smile* hell'

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the Old Xavs Boys Club can rest easy their gravy train will roll on for a couple more years at least without much scrutiny. Crisis averted.

Reactions: 1 user
Should be interesting. Much like Abbott and Morrison, I never thought we could have a CEO as bad as Demestos and then Gil arrived.

Let's see how whoever is keeping the CEO seat warm for Benny goes.

Off the record quote by anonymous club CEO on Brendan Gale’s AFL CEO situation.

“Since 2014 he has won three premierships, got 100,000 members, put $20 million in the bank and set up external businesses for the Richmond Football Club yet he didn’t make the top two.

“And don’t forget he’s a lawyer, played 250 games and was president of the Players’ Association. I mean how is Kylie Watson-Wheeler ahead of Brendon Gale?”

Because Goyter and Gilligan hate Richmond. Simple

Last edited:
There has been a lot of talk about the AFL and Richmond being at loggerheads during the COVID lockdown in 2019 when almost all games were transferred to Brisbane and that Brendon Gale was seen in a poor light because of his defence of the club (and Stacky)? over this period.

It was suggested that Brendon was therefore not a popular figure, and was unlikely to become the CEO following Gills retirement.

Can anyone elaborate?

The major beef Peggy and Gale had with the AFL was:

1. Why we were passed over for an AFLW license when Geesook and #lolnorf got in; and
2. The huge reduction in the soft cap.

The former pee'd off Peggy because we were leaders in integrating women into AFL footy and the latter Benny and Dimma went to war on as it took away what they'd fought so hard to establish over the years................a strong finanical position so we could be very well resourced in the footy department.

The relationship issues largely stem from these incidents. The hub stuff was a media beat up and if the AFL genuinely have any issue with us asking for some minor renos to our substandard accommodation then that's small *smile* energy right there.

Both Peggy and Benny were quoted as saying the AFL was starting to treat clubs as franchise's which is exactly what they do at GC and GWS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Dill would know all the important offshore bank account numbers. And he would have gone to Xavier when bullying was still a core subject and not an elective.

Reactions: 5 users
FIFA looked at running our national football code, but was concerned about nepotism, corruption, boys club appointments, fixing matches, cheating umpires, infantile MRO decisions, stealing from well run clubs and the lack of accountability and transparency.

Well it was ok with the lack of accountability and transparency. As to the rest, FIFA had a reputation to maintain.

Reactions: 2 users
FIFA looked at running our national football code, but was concerned about nepotism, corruption, boys club appointments, fixing matches, cheating umpires, infantile MRO decisions, stealing from well run clubs and the lack of accountability and transparency.

Well it was ok with the lack of accountability and transparency. As to the rest, FIFA had a reputation to maintain.

Rumour has it Sepp Blatter was interested in the role, but on further due diligence performeed by him, he was worried how the level of corruption within the AFL may sully his good name so withdrew from the contest.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So are the AFL going to come out and say how much of our $'s they spent on this wild goose chase to tell us that their next CEO is the exact person pretty much everyone in the AFL community thought it would be 6-7 months ago!!

What a complete and utter disgrace and waste of funds.

Reactions: 5 users
So are the AFL going to come out and say how much of our $'s they spent on this wild goose chase to tell us that their next CEO is the exact person pretty much everyone in the AFL community thought it would be 6-7 months ago!!

What a complete and utter disgrace and waste of funds.
I think I read somewhere that it cost $1 million, somewhere else $1/2million.
Consultancy experts Spencer Stuart usually charge 1/3 of the roles 1st year salary

Goyter pays his mates $millions to run a clayton's process when Dill was always getting the gig. While the stitch up of Benny by Gilligan and co is another black mark against that pricks name.

Both Caro and Robbo rightly pointing the finger at Gilligan as the person who has kept Benny out of the job.

Our game has been highjacked by these elitist private school campaigners. Hopefully their days are coming.

The only good news is this has been such a ball's up that Goyter's exit will be straight after Gilligan's. With Shocking also gone the culture will finally be on the improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Dillon appointed.

Imagine being a massively paid recruitment firm, spend a year searching for a new CEO and then recommending the guy in the office next door be appointed.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Jobs for the boys. Happens a lot. Run a “worldwide recruitment” campaign and give the job to your mate in the next office who was always going to get it.

Reactions: 1 users
I know its obvious, but I like this line from the Robba mafia article:

"It’s a curious situation when the $1 million worldwide search found Dillon one office away from McLachlan in the game’s Docklands headquarters, just as McLachlan was an office away from Andrew Demetriou, who was an office away from Wayne Jackson, and Jackson himself was a commissioner during the Ross Oakley era."

A conga line of insiders. Its not healthy, and they know it.

Dillon appointed.

Imagine being a massively paid recruitment firm, spend a year searching for a new CEO and then recommending the guy in the office next door be appointed.
I think the massively paid recruiting firm (lets face it there's no such thing as a low-paid international recruiting form :unsure: ) was a window dressing exercise, or a concession to the forces who wanted change. And they would have been fine with doing it because the massive pay would have gone to some mates.