Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
WesternTiger said:
Assuming they are referring to these loonies?

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/new-diet-to-save-lives-and-planet-health-study-intl/index.html

That frames their argument more sensibly.

The one thing we all seem to agree upon in this thread is that over-population is a looming crisis. However this issue is confined strictly to Africa and Asia; birth rates elsewhere are in decline. Addressing the population issue by seeking to modify western diets seems an odd way to go about it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Not 'ignoring'. Putting it into perspective.

If by claiming all science not supporting the global warm period theories was produced by Mann as part of a dastardly plot then yes, you put it in perspective. A bizarre, twisted, disconnected from reality perspective. ;D

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
If by claiming all science not supporting the global warm period theories was produced by Mann as part of a dastardly plot then yes, you put it in perspective. A bizarre, twisted, disconnected from reality perspective. ;D

So says you. The motivation was political, they set out to erase it and erase it they did.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
So says you. The motivation was political, they set out to erase it and erase it they did.

Sure, all the subsequent science adding new data points is all about erasing the truth and obfuscating the legacy of the state-of-the-art science of the 1970s. Because that's what scientists are all about. They are all a global cabal of Marxists who want a world government presided over by George Soros.

This is getting as bad as the 9/11 thread.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
Sure, all the subsequent science adding new data points is all about erasing the truth and obfuscating the legacy of the state-of-the-art science of the 1970s. Because that's what scientists are all about. They are all a global cabal of Marxists who want a world government presided over by George Soros.

This is getting as bad as the 9/11 thread.

Plenty of recent research points to the effects of the MWP being a global phenomenon. “Localised” is the IPCC line and it’s a minority perspective.

And I’ve never mentioned Soros. Stop reading those magazines.

I thought you’d bailed from this thread? Wassup, aircon not working?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Did I bail? Possibly, can't remember.

In tropical Indonesia Aircon is rarely off, but it's not as hot as Australia right now I hear.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
A whole heap more record temperatures set in SA & Victoria in this week's heatwave.

th

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was a hot couple of days. But elsewhere in the world...

Extreme, record-breaking cold forecast next week

Oh boy, you really have difficulties grasping the concept of climate. But I daresay that you are deliberately being disingenuous because of your political tribalism.

But while we're on the topic of extremes, the odds of the great ocean conveyer belt shutting down due to reduced salinity are about 50/50, that would entail some very cold winters for those in Europe.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As opposed to years of an upward trend:

Temperature_Composite_500.jpg

Which will tend to mean more hot days. Apparently we normally get 1 above 40 day each summer, we just had 2 in a row. So many highest temperature records broken recently, we don't see so many record lows do we?

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
But while we're on the topic of extremes, the odds of the great ocean conveyer belt shutting down due to reduced salinity are about 50/50, that would entail some very cold winters for those in Europe.

Horsesh!t. Find me a credible source that says it's in danger of stopping. And stop watching bad Hollywood films, they're the worst sources of information.

The Big Richo said:
I don't know what that means in global terms but there is no question the climate is different.

Purely anecdotally speaking I would say there is more humidity than say, 20+ years ago.

DavidSSS said:
Apparently we normally get 1 above 40 day each summer, we just had 2 in a row.

Melbourne's average over more than a hundred years is 1.3. This year two, last year one... pretty much on par. None in the two previous years.

Not sure conclusions can be drawn from such a small population.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Horsesh!t. Find me a credible source that says it's in danger of stopping. And stop watching bad Hollywood films, they're the worst sources of information.

I realise you don't dig science journals & scientists in general but the bad news is it's already slowing.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/slow-motion-ocean-atlantics-circulation-is-weakest-in-1-600-years/

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
I realise you don't dig science journals & scientists in general but the bad news is it's already slowing.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/slow-motion-ocean-atlantics-circulation-is-weakest-in-1-600-years/

Yeah it's been slowing. Show me a source that says it's going to "shut down".

The north magnetic pole is moving at around 55km a year, which points to any number of possible catastrophic consequences, but it's been allowed to go under the radar.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yeah it's been slowing. Show me a source that says it's going to "shut down".

The north magnetic pole is moving at around 55km a year, which points to any number of possible catastrophic consequences, but it's been allowed to go under the radar.

There is no source that definitely says it's going to shut down, nor did I, but the one conclusion that everyone can agree upon is that a tipping does exist & that can have huge ramifications. Some suggest 5-6 degrees would be the trigger, others are more circumspect & require more data, at this stage in the game research is the key. But I daresay ignoring this as a contingency would be negligent in the extreme.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-04322-x

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Liked the fact that renewables essentially kept the grid online in Vic during the current heat wave as the coal fired power stations had to shut-down - too hot.