Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So here we go again........
You think his behaviour was acceptable? Pretty sure you said it above. I dont, never did. But i can understand it and prefer the tolerant response from Morrison over your left and right take on it because I would not use it for political gain as you blindly prefer to.
I raised examples off a News Corp outlet that no one on here disagreed with just provided historical grabs which i too didnt disagree with.
Knock yourself out trying to take me down the path of me being a alt right fanatic.
I remain a humoured poster at the contradiction of some on here.

Again, you were the first poster to link his political leanings to something to laugh at the lefties. No one else, you. You started the partisan debate that we have now. No one else.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Probably a fair call, im not reading back though Tigerman because im pretty sure we could find a fair amount of comment to revisit from the bushfire period that has lost its relevance or was extreme in its intent.
What i will finish with is that this site dispalyed the firies sentiment against the federal government with fervor, it was turned political like never before.
Page 283.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Probably a fair call, im not reading back though Tigerman because im pretty sure we could find a fair amount of comment to revisit from the bushfire period that has lost its relevance or was extreme in its intent.
What i will finish with is that this site dispalyed the firies sentiment against the federal government with fervor, it was turned political like never before.

It was a political statement. No-one turned it political - it already was.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Is there no - one but me outraged n bloody flabbergasted that all those Labour nuffies were out on the *smile*, singin n dancin in Bali while Victoria burned? All that outrage coz Scomo took the kiddies on a holiday, yet no - one noticed that Dan n his family n this other mob were all out doing the holiday macarena at the same time. Why is no - one paying attention to the important stuff n getting up some proper unbiased bleating outrage happening.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Is there no - one but me outraged n bloody flabbergasted that all those Labour nuffies were out on the ****, singin n dancin in Bali while Victoria burned? All that outrage coz Scomo took the kiddies on a holiday, yet no - one noticed that Dan n his family n this other mob were all out doing the holiday macarena at the same time. Why is no - one paying attention to the important stuff n getting up some proper unbiased bleating outrage happening.
Well I guess if it's good enough for ScoMo:cool:;)

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
It was a political statement. No-one turned it political - it already was.
This is another part of the issue Antman, it was not a Federal issue, the States got away "scott free" on this one.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Again, you were the first poster to link his political leanings to something to laugh at the lefties. No one else, you. You started the partisan debate that we have now. No one else.
Call the firies behaviour out, agree Morrisons response is pretty pleasing. Poor form is poor form but its not the end of the world.
Im laughing at the lefties and the righties mate. This episode was a a small part of a much larger plot that the left in particular used to their political gain during a natural catastrophe and had massive support from the media. Pi$$ poor behaviour the whole way through but acceptable apparently.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Are you amused or outraged? Seems more like the latter given the vast amount of words you continue to write on the topic.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Is there no - one but me outraged n bloody flabbergasted that all those Labour nuffies were out on the ****, singin n dancin in Bali while Victoria burned? All that outrage coz Scomo took the kiddies on a holiday, yet no - one noticed that Dan n his family n this other mob were all out doing the holiday macarena at the same time. Why is no - one paying attention to the important stuff n getting up some proper unbiased bleating outrage happening.

Now this is straight up nonsense. First Morrison's office denied he was even in Hawaii. And he didn't nominate the Deputy PM to be acting PM in his place, because then people would know he was AWOL. Then it took him several days to come back. Then he said he didn't come back because he made a promise to his kids. Then he said it was all the state's responsibility. Then he shifted blame to Gladys in NSW, just because.

Andrews wasn't in Bali and fronted up for duty immediately as soon as the first reports of property damage came in.

All politicians aren't the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Now this is straight up nonsense. First Morrison's office denied he was even in Hawaii. And he didn't nominate the Deputy PM to be acting PM in his place, because then people would know he was AWOL. Then it took him several days to come back. Then he said he didn't come back because he made a promise to his kids. Then he said it was all the state's responsibility. Then he shifted blame to Gladys in NSW, just because.

Andrews wasn't in Bali and fronted up for duty immediately as soon as the first reports of property damage came in.

All politicians aren't the same.
regardless of whether you think this government is corrupt, or more corrupt than others, i dont think anyone could dispute this government is more secretive than any before, and is playing from the Trump playbook of lying, then continuing to repeat the lie when caught more than any before. They rely on enough voters not following politics any more than a news bite, or reading news.com.
any inconvenient truth is "canberra bubble" stuff.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
In despair, I wondered how politics got so bad - then I looked at Twitter
Chris Uhlmann
The Age
February 18, 2020

An old political maxim holds that people get the government they deserve. But how in the name of all that is holy did we deserve to begin the parliamentary year with a Hatfield and McCoy shootout in the National Party? It’s not like summer hadn’t already been ruined. And just as the weather improved, the fires were quelled and the smoke cleared, the gates of Hades opened again and a new horror crawled out to dominate the news.

After running through a decade’s worth of A-roll leadership challenges (and some repeats), we were condemned to watching the B-roll of internal ructions in the junior Coalition partner, our eyes clamped open as all the seven deadly sins of politics were played out by a semi-professional cast.

Here was naked lust for power, a glutinous unappeasable appetite for appearing on Sky News, a greed for the baubles of high (and even sadly low) office, a slothful waste of public time and money, wrath at just about everything, envy of those in the flash seats and a staggering delusional pride that imagines your party and nation cannot possibly live without you.

So how did we get here? How in God’s name do we get out? And how can our mostly harmless nation of just 25 million souls deserve this?

Then I broke a personal cardinal rule and spent an afternoon foolishly following a single Twitter feed and it struck me: this is us.

It wasn’t the schlock ravings of the lunar right that were scrolling down the screen. It was puerile, potty-mouthed missives from the "progressive" class as, in the space of a day, the mob enthusiastically embraced and then abandoned a hashtag: #IStandWithFiremanPaul.

For those happy souls who missed it, this was an expression of cyber solidarity with Rural Fire Service volunteer Paul Parker. He shot to fame at the height of the firestorm on the NSW South Coast when he pulled up his truck beside a Channel Seven news crew and shouted: “Are you from the media? Go and tell the Prime Minister to go and get f---ed from Nelligen."

On Sunday, he appeared on The Project to claim he had been sacked from the RFS because of his outburst. This is how hashtags are born. A martyr was being persecuted for speaking truth to power. Time to fire up the smartphone and go on a freedom march.

A conga line of netizens spent the day telling the PM to "get f@*ed". It was like watching a parade of toddlers who had discovered a naughty word that startled their parents and they just kept chanting it over and over.

Parker was canonised. He had summed the frustration of a nation with his outburst but, like every saint, his totem was being loaded with the personal baggage of every devotee. Above all, his rage was taken as a primal scream at Morrison’s inaction on climate change.

When the RFS disputed St Paul had been sacked it was simply a sign that its leaders were now also in the thrall of The Man.

Then a much more inconvenient truth was revealed. In an interview with Nine News, Parker had colourfully expressed his contempt for all politicians, save one: "There’s only one person that cares about this country and that’s Pauline Hanson. Come and see us in Nelligen, Pauline. Mate, you’re unreal, you care about the country, the rest of them don’t."

When this nugget hit Twitter, it was like watching a train pull into Central Station as most of the mob got off. In the all or nothing era, St Paul can’t be part of what we hope for, he has to be with us on everything. He can’t be blemished by views that trigger delicate sensibilities.

The rise of anti-social media has fuelled an almost complete loss of civility and the ability to compromise. Without that, we will never plot a sensible path through some diabolically difficult problems.

On the central issue of climate change, the right has to accept that decarbonising the economy is already afoot and what matters is how we manage change. And the left has to acknowledge the truth spoken by our Chief Scientist: we are embarking on "the biggest engineering challenge ever undertaken" and that "even with an internationally committed and focused effort the transition will take many decades".

Yet, every day, the shouters on Twitter prove even recognising this is beyond our wit.

So the rebel Nationals, and their progressive doppelgangers, are a true reflection of what we have become. Our country has shattered into gated communities of the mind; a society Balkanised by its bigotries and harnessed by its hatreds. To borrow a line from a past Labor leader, we have got the national politics we deserve because "we are us".

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...then-i-looked-at-twitter-20200218-p541sh.html

Reactions: 4 users

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Chris Uhlmann
The Age
February 18, 2020

An old political maxim holds that people get the government they deserve. But how in the name of all that is holy did we deserve to begin the parliamentary year with a Hatfield and McCoy shootout in the National Party? It’s not like summer hadn’t already been ruined. And just as the weather improved, the fires were quelled and the smoke cleared, the gates of Hades opened again and a new horror crawled out to dominate the news.

After running through a decade’s worth of A-roll leadership challenges (and some repeats), we were condemned to watching the B-roll of internal ructions in the junior Coalition partner, our eyes clamped open as all the seven deadly sins of politics were played out by a semi-professional cast.

Here was naked lust for power, a glutinous unappeasable appetite for appearing on Sky News, a greed for the baubles of high (and even sadly low) office, a slothful waste of public time and money, wrath at just about everything, envy of those in the flash seats and a staggering delusional pride that imagines your party and nation cannot possibly live without you.

So how did we get here? How in God’s name do we get out? And how can our mostly harmless nation of just 25 million souls deserve this?

Then I broke a personal cardinal rule and spent an afternoon foolishly following a single Twitter feed and it struck me: this is us.

It wasn’t the schlock ravings of the lunar right that were scrolling down the screen. It was puerile, potty-mouthed missives from the "progressive" class as, in the space of a day, the mob enthusiastically embraced and then abandoned a hashtag: #IStandWithFiremanPaul.

For those happy souls who missed it, this was an expression of cyber solidarity with Rural Fire Service volunteer Paul Parker. He shot to fame at the height of the firestorm on the NSW South Coast when he pulled up his truck beside a Channel Seven news crew and shouted: “Are you from the media? Go and tell the Prime Minister to go and get f---ed from Nelligen."

On Sunday, he appeared on The Project to claim he had been sacked from the RFS because of his outburst. This is how hashtags are born. A martyr was being persecuted for speaking truth to power. Time to fire up the smartphone and go on a freedom march.

A conga line of netizens spent the day telling the PM to "get f@*ed". It was like watching a parade of toddlers who had discovered a naughty word that startled their parents and they just kept chanting it over and over.

Parker was canonised. He had summed the frustration of a nation with his outburst but, like every saint, his totem was being loaded with the personal baggage of every devotee. Above all, his rage was taken as a primal scream at Morrison’s inaction on climate change.

When the RFS disputed St Paul had been sacked it was simply a sign that its leaders were now also in the thrall of The Man.

Then a much more inconvenient truth was revealed. In an interview with Nine News, Parker had colourfully expressed his contempt for all politicians, save one: "There’s only one person that cares about this country and that’s Pauline Hanson. Come and see us in Nelligen, Pauline. Mate, you’re unreal, you care about the country, the rest of them don’t."

When this nugget hit Twitter, it was like watching a train pull into Central Station as most of the mob got off. In the all or nothing era, St Paul can’t be part of what we hope for, he has to be with us on everything. He can’t be blemished by views that trigger delicate sensibilities.

The rise of anti-social media has fuelled an almost complete loss of civility and the ability to compromise. Without that, we will never plot a sensible path through some diabolically difficult problems.

On the central issue of climate change, the right has to accept that decarbonising the economy is already afoot and what matters is how we manage change. And the left has to acknowledge the truth spoken by our Chief Scientist: we are embarking on "the biggest engineering challenge ever undertaken" and that "even with an internationally committed and focused effort the transition will take many decades".

Yet, every day, the shouters on Twitter prove even recognising this is beyond our wit.

So the rebel Nationals, and their progressive doppelgangers, are a true reflection of what we have become. Our country has shattered into gated communities of the mind; a society Balkanised by its bigotries and harnessed by its hatreds. To borrow a line from a past Labor leader, we have got the national politics we deserve because "we are us".

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...then-i-looked-at-twitter-20200218-p541sh.html
Thanks L2R. Great read

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Chris Uhlmann
The Age
February 18, 2020

Chris Uhlmann was the ABC political editor before Ch 9 poached him. despite some 'conservative' leanings, he is good at what he does, unfortunately many would have dismissed him as a lefty hack when he was on the ABC, though his view and delivery hasnt changed.
you could argue though our pollies should be able to rise above the behaviour of some on social media.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Right-wing media gleeful at firefighter's support of Pauline HansonBy Noely Neate | 19 February 2020, 7:00am YOU COULD ALMOST FEEL the glee from Chris “I am not a Right-wingerUhlmann when he tweeted:'For all of those who are taking up the memorable catch cry of RFS volunteer Paul Parker. Here is a bit more context from an interview he did with @9NewsAUS. There is only one politician in Australia he doesn’t think should “get f-ed”. Guess who? '
That will teach you bleeding hearts with no respect for our Dear Leader and the office he holds — your firefighting hero loves your arch-enemy, Pauline Hanson.It probably would have gone a little like that in his head, or in chatter with colleagues at Nine. This scoop was even better than his “Look! There are inclusive toilets in the Prime Minister and Cabinet's office! Gender politics gone mad, I tell you!” tweet.

@CUhlmann

Meanwhile at the Barton offices of Prime Minister and Cabinet...
View image on Twitter
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1166935878586884096

Sure, as you can see from the tweet, Mr Uhlmann doesn’t actually say stuff like that, he just notices “odd” things, things that your “God Squad” talibangelicals or über Catholics find evil. Like maybe how gender is a tad more complicated than little girls are made of sugar and spice and all things nice and little boys are made of snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails. Of course, when Mr Uhlmann happens to notice these things, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and friends at 2GB happen to notice and action is taken, quick-smart.
Imagine how convenient it must have been for Mr Uhlmann to milkshake duck Paul Parker just after The Project reminded the nation that this volunteer firefighter spoke for many in the nation. When mentally and physically exhausted from fighting fires, he came upon a gaggle of media at the side of the road, leaned out of his truck, stared down at the news camera and said: “Tell the Prime Minister to go and get *smile*”.
He said a bit more than that, but telling Scott Morrison to “go and get *smile*” spoke for the vast percentage of the nation at the time.
The Prime Minister thought the nation had moved on and forgotten that he had gone for a Hawaiian holiday while the nation burned and it was cool for him to do that. Just before he abandoned us, he assured us that all was under control, no need for any extra attention or effort from the Federal Government to help as all those volunteer firefighters were doing a great job and want to be there.

What does The Project do? They invite Paul Parker on, stating that he was sacked.

David Marler@Qldaah
https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1228975990514171904
"You're finished because of your allegations and foul language against the prime minister of the country while representing the RFS." Firefighter Paul Parker from Nelligen sacked from RFS. #TheProjectTV #auspol #AustralianFires
https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1228975990514171904
Besides the “he said, she said” style back-and-forth between Parker and NSW Rural Fire Service, it put the spotlight back on Morrison, putting him under pressure to respond to allegations this man had been fired from his sainted volunteer firefighter role for his vitriol against the PM.
This also reminded journalists of the “want to be there” comment which, of course, slippery Scott weaselled his way out with:"I never said, never said, that firefighters enjoyed doing this."
David Marler@Qldaah
https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1229205872254976000
"I never said, never said, that firefighters enjoyed doing this."
Responding to Paul Parker on #theprojecttv, @ScottMorrisonMP says he was misrepresented over comments. #auspol #AustralianFires
Notice the word “enjoyed”?Many will be thinking “enjoyed”, “wanted” — who cares? Our Prime Minister figured he could go on holiday, assuming volunteers would do all the heavy lifting with no pay and very little support or thanks.Not so journalists, which is what the Prime Minister and his lackeys rely on — technicalities and weasel words being argued over to distract from intent and reality.The PM loves to slip in one word that is different from the actual question asked so that he can lie. bald-faced, knowing that one segment of journalists will say “we looked at the transcript and he didn’t say ‘enjoyed’” and quibble over semantics, without noting the PM didn’t actually respond to the question he was asked.As usual, he just gave an answer he liked which technically gets him off the hook, but it's fine since word will get out he was “misrepresented”, which is what he wanted so he doesn’t look like such a bad guy.
This tried and tested tactic didn’t seem to work as well as usual this time.Then along comes Mr Uhlmann, casting doubt on “victim” Paul Parker and throwing some shade at the “vigilante mob” at the same time, with his milkshake ducking of Parker.For those not sure what milkshake ducking is, it is an internet meme which illustrates something wonderful being not-so-wonderful once a little background is taken into account. So, hero of the people Paul Parker, the volunteer firefighter from Nelligan, being a massive Pauline “it’s okay to be white” Hanson fan, fits that meme perfectly. I mean, what “bleeding heart” wants to back Hanson?
Personally, I found it said more about the conservatives who thought they had a slam dunk with this milkshake ducking. Many seemed to think support for Parker would drop like a rock — as if those on the more progressive side of politics would be so aghast and throw their hands in the air in despair.The problem with the progressive side of politics, as opposed to the conservative, is that they are just messy, they are not all in lock-step with a central one-plus-one set of ideals and even when they do agree, they all disagree on the ways to get to the agreed-upon place.As funny as it was watching Uhlmann try to stir up social media – and conveniently distract from the PM’s shortcomings earlier in the day – it does not appear to have been that successful.Sure, many are not happy Parker is a fan of Senator Hanson, but it doesn’t mean he is wrong about Scotty from Marketing.Paul Parker may be racist and that is why he supports Pauline Hanson. Personally, I suspect he is just like a lot of others in my backyard who support her — because they believe she “cares”.After years of National Party politicians telling us that the city and Canberra don’t care about us – but at least we have a seat at the table – Pauline Hanson swooped into those areas, sat in pubs, listened to people confused at a too-fast changing world, nodded her head and said she cared.
Though it will be fun to see the “how disrespectful is that firefighter?” crowd at Sky After Dark and Sunrise dealing with a man who they now find is as much a fan of Pauline as they are.In fact, I'm hoping this revelation of Uhlmann's will actually help the "latte-sipping inner-city Lefties" – or whatever Deputy PM Michael McCormack and the Nats are calling urban dwellers this week – understand the mindset of the One Nation voter a little bit more so they can learn to combat Pauline Hanson's insidious and nasty grip on so many in the nation.Either way, nice scoop, but big swing, no ding.
https://twitter.com/BelindaJones68/status/1229155826868211712

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Chris Uhlmann was the ABC political editor before Ch 9 poached him. despite some 'conservative' leanings, he is good at what he does, unfortunately many would have dismissed him as a lefty hack when he was on the ABC, though his view and delivery hasnt changed.
you could argue though our pollies should be able to rise above the behaviour of some on social media.
Has just recently taken over from Barry Cassidy on ABC Insiders, he's a very good journo.

Last edited: