Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Forecast 30 on Sunday, looks like the "pause" will be over by the end of the week.

DS

oFvciGY.jpg

How on earth are we going to survive?

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Why are you quoting a weather forecast, I thought they were always wrong, looks like a hot week ahead folks, after all, the BOM are predicting it won't be hot.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Why are you quoting a weather forecast, I thought they were always wrong, looks like a hot week ahead folks, after all, the BOM are predicting it won't be hot.

If those numbers come to fruition then this month will be more than 2 degrees below the long-term February average.

What do you make of it, DavidSizzleSteamSwelter?

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Australian scientists close to developing holy grail of clean energy (paywalled)
Australian scientists are tantalisingly close to developing the holy grail of clean energy, using high-powered lasers to fuse boron and hydrogen atoms together to generate electricity without any emissions or toxic waste.

A team of scientists at the University of NSW is developing the hydrogen-boron fusion technology, which is said to hold the promise of limitless, cheap baseload electricity with virtually no carbon dioxide emissions and zero radioactive waste. The only waste product is helium.

The pioneer of the technology, Heinrich Hora, said: “The clean and absolutely safe reactor can be placed within densely populated areas, with no possibility of a catastrophic meltdown such as that which has been seen with nuclear fission reactors.” Boron is cheap and naturally abundant, with sufficient known reserves to power the world for thousands of years.

Patents for the technology have been granted in the US, Japan and China to UNSW spin-out company HB11 Energy.

Give technology a chance to come up with the answers. Don't panic.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
JP Morgan - a ******* BANK!: "We cannot rule out catastrophic outcomes where human life as we know it is threatened."

COOL AND NORMAL.

We're at the point where everyone in every industry knows that the climate crisis is going to be world changing without significant intervention.

There are still of course ill informed or just plain stupid people who choose to deny it on idealogical grounds, but those people are actually not that common.

The big problem is that the biggest industries with significant lobbying power have built their wealth in fossil fuels. And the people benefiting from this are usually old people, who would rather be rich for the rest of their limited lifespans than take action that benefits the rest of the human race at the expense of their wealth.

And that's why we're stuck. There's no longer any debate on what's happening. It's can we get enough people vocal enough to get action even though those with power don't want it.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The big problem is that the biggest industries with significant lobbying power have built their wealth in fossil fuels. And the people benefiting from this are usually old people, who would rather be rich for the rest of their limited lifespans than take action that benefits the rest of the human race at the expense of their wealth.
True. We should cut their heads off.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Your do-nothing strategy is inspirational and convincing. You should join the Federal Cabinet, you'd fit right in.

Things are moving, even if you can’t see it or you’re not happy with the pace. This is what responsible government looks like. You and the UN can stick your austerity measures where they belong.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Things are moving, even if you can’t see it or you’re not happy with the pace. This is what responsible government looks like. You and the UN can stick your austerity measures where they belong.

Ok. I'm heading down for Friday beers with the UN soon so I'll pass that message on to the lads.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If those numbers come to fruition then this month will be more than 2 degrees below the long-term February average.

What do you make of it, DavidSizzleSteamSwelter?

One month of below average temperatures in one place on Earth, not much to be honest.

Meanwhile, while we set no records here, just a cooler month than usual, a couple of weeks ago they set the record for the warmest temp recorded in Antarctica - 18C, in f***ing Antarctica, T Shirt weather, in Antarctica (Tommy Hafey would be sweating in his T Shirt with that heat).

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We're at the point where everyone in every industry knows that the climate crisis is going to be world changing without significant intervention.

There are still of course ill informed or just plain stupid people who choose to deny it on ideological grounds, but those people are actually not that common.

And that's why we're stuck. There's no longer any debate on what's happening. It's can we get enough people vocal enough to get action even though those with power don't want it.

Yeah but you have to have a balanced debate.

expert and idiot.jpg

DS

• Haha

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Meanwhile, while we set no records here, just a cooler month than usual, a couple of weeks ago they set the record for the warmest temp recorded in Antarctica - 18C, in f***ing Antarctica, T Shirt weather, in Antarctica (Tommy Hafey would be sweating in his T Shirt with that heat).

Antarctica-UAH-1979-2016.jpg

No, I don't see a long-term trend either.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Antarctica-UAH-1979-2016.jpg

No, I don't see a long-term trend either.

Oh, long term trends now, a few posts ago you were talking about one month in one location.

Nobody said climate change would be evenly distributed. The Arctic warming and Antarctica looking more stable (but some more persistent warm periods this century) is an interesting one, which is why we look at worldwide data, long term trends and not one month in one location.

I also notice that you weren't posting this prolifically about Jan 2019 when it was more than 2C above average.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Oh, long term trends now, a few posts ago you were talking about one month in one location.

Nobody said climate change would be evenly distributed. The Arctic warming and Antarctica looking more stable (but some more persistent warm periods this century) is an interesting one, which is why we look at worldwide data, long term trends and not one month in one location.

I also notice that you weren't posting this prolifically about Jan 2019 when it was more than 2C above average.

Just asked what you thought. Our cold February doesn't mean much in the bigger picture, but it's an interesting anomaly. I'm a tad surprised it hasn't been seized upon as evidence of "climate change", but it could just be they're having trouble explaining it.

Antarctica is complex, too.