Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
India to stop importing thermal coal.

‘ Joshi said various ways and means were discussed with key stakeholders to achieve One billion tonne coal production target by Coal India by 2023-24.’

Read more at:

So they will stop importing because they are now producing enough domestically to provide for their future energy needs. Sounds sustainable!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
‘ Joshi said various ways and means were discussed with key stakeholders to achieve One billion tonne coal production target by Coal India by 2023-24.’

Read more at:

So they will stop importing because they are now producing enough domestically to provide for their future energy needs. Sounds sustainable!

Correct.

Point is more the impact on Australian coal industry.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Isn't that new Adani mine setting up in QLD an Indian company? If India stops importing coal then Adani will either be shut down before it's even operational or supplying us with all the coal we'll need for forever.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
OK but this will have no impact whatsoever on CC. That to me is the point.

Noted.

For me it's another sign that thermal coal is a sunset industry in Australia. Shift to renewables - it's an opportunity, not a threat.

Even the big investors are diversifying away from fossil fuels now.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Noted.

For me it's another sign that thermal coal is a sunset industry in Australia. Shift to renewables - it's an opportunity, not a threat.

Even the big investors are diversifying away from fossil fuels now.
This is true, it cant just happen as quick as some on here suggest.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
This is true, it cant just happen as quick as some on here suggest.

It could happen a lot faster if vested interests were willing to be, well, less vested. This is the crux of the problem - some think it's not happening, some think it's happening but it's not so urgent, some (like me) think it's possibly past tipping point already. Some vested interests know it's happening but don't care - it's a problem for the next generation so who cares as long as we get richer.

Temperature rise is the lead indicator - there are a myriad of lag indicators that will kick in later. Many already have of course. Sea level rises, sea temperatures, sea acidity, sea deoxygenation, glacial retreats, changing climates and ecosystems. The severity of the bushfires we just went through is only one example.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
some (like me) think it's possibly past tipping point already.

Temperature rise is the lead indicator - there are a myriad of lag indicators that will kick in later. Many already have of course. Sea level rises, sea temperatures, sea acidity, sea deoxygenation, glacial retreats, changing climates and ecosystems. The severity of the bushfires we just went through is only one example.
Sounds like we're all just well n truly *smile* already then. No point gettin all het up n anxious, might as well just kick back n enjoy the last few bits of good stuff before the *smile* hits the fan n wipes us out completely.

Then maybe one day some alien explorers might come along n do some diggin around n wonder what sort of global catastrophe came along n wiped us humans out. Just like we came along n wondered what wiped out the dinosaurs.

Reactions: 1 user