Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sergio v Westwood one of the all time best matchplay events. Unbelievable playoff series of holes and the finish....well...

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Played at Victoria GC today. Absolutely off the charts, sensational condition. Mint everywhere. The green staff are right on point over there at the moment.
Great track, like most sand belt tracks has lost to much tea tree over the years and now plays a bit short but still a great track , I played an event there years ago and I reckon they were as faster greens as I’ve putted on at the time.

A couple mates got an invite to Cathedral Something near Alexandra , Norman designed track , very very good apparently

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Great track, like most sand belt tracks has lost to much tea tree over the years and now plays a bit short but still a great track , I played an event there years ago and I reckon they were as faster greens as I’ve putted on at the time.

A couple mates got an invite to Cathedral Something near Alexandra , Norman designed track , very very good apparently
Still trying to work out if that wasn't the best conditioned course I've ever played. The greens were quite slow but with that compacted bent grass and short cutting and dry weather, you could see them getting insanely quick.

Yep. It's actually very short now. Interestingly they have the 2022 Australian Open. They'll have to convert a couple of par 5's to par 4's and maybe even the par 4 1st to a par 3 as well in order to protect the place from being eaten alive. We played off the very back tees on most holes and it was still very short.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Still trying to work out if that wasn't the best conditioned course I've ever played. The greens were quite slow but with that compacted bent grass and short cutting and dry weather, you could see them getting insanely quick.

Yep. It's actually very short now. Interestingly they have the 2022 Australian Open. They'll have to convert a couple of par 5's to par 4's and maybe even the par 4 1st to a par 3 as well in order to protect the place from being eaten alive. We played off the very back tees on most holes and it was still very short.
18 would probably be converted to a par 4 for the Open

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Probably. And maybe the 8th as well.

We've had almost all tea tree removed and a stack of trees as part of the $5m Tom Doak renovations. Looks absolutely amazing. Back to its original design. The tea tree is being replaced by long growing native fescue. But of course you have the whiney old members complaining about the rough. You tell them "Well, would you rather have a lost ball in the tea tree or a tough shot out of the native fescue ?" which incidentally, looks great. Bit like they do at Shinnecock and many links courses. (You can see it in the foreground of the picture below.)

After you say that, they have this puzzled look on their face and then try to think of something else to complain about.

1616970866539.png

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

We've had almost all tea tree removed and a stack of trees as part of the $5m Tom Doak renovations. Looks absolutely amazing. Back to its original design. The tea tree is being replaced by long growing native fescue. But of course you have the whiney old members complaining about the rough. You tell them "Well, would you rather have a lost ball in the tea tree or a tough shot out of the native fescue ?" which incidentally, looks great. Bit like they do at Shinnecock and many links courses.

After you say that, they have this puzzled look on their face and then try to think of something else to complain about.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

We've had almost all tea tree removed and a stack of trees as part of the $5m Tom Doak renovations. Looks absolutely amazing. Back to its original design. The tea tree is being replaced by long growing native fescue. But of course you have the whiney old members complaining about the rough. You tell them "Well, would you rather have a lost ball in the tea tree or a tough shot out of the native fescue ?" which incidentally, looks great. Bit like they do at Shinnecock and many links courses. (You can see it in the foreground of the picture below.)

View attachment 11788
Love that , miss the green no chipping involved

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

View attachment 11788
Looks stunning

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

We've had almost all tea tree removed and a stack of trees as part of the $5m Tom Doak renovations. Looks absolutely amazing. Back to its original design. The tea tree is being replaced by long growing native fescue. But of course you have the whiney old members complaining about the rough. You tell them "Well, would you rather have a lost ball in the tea tree or a tough shot out of the native fescue ?" which incidentally, looks great. Bit like they do at Shinnecock and many links courses.

I'm not sure your bunker play is any better is it ?
Ran about 65%

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Looks stunning

That's probably the signature hole. And maybe the 2nd and 18th below.

You can see how Doak wanted fairways and tees and greens to be visible with one another again. Its awesome. Pictures don't do it justice. Not a long track, but at a par 70 it can still play to almost 7000 yards which is pretty good. Importantly, you still need to have the right line in from the fairway to get close to a lot of pins which sit on uber fast, sloping greens.

1616982837521.png

1616982883677.png

1616982920300.png
1616982947653.png

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That's probably the signature hole. And maybe the 2nd and 18th below.

You can see how Doak wanted fairways and tees and greens to be visible with one another again. Its awesome. Pictures don't do it justice. Not a long track, but at a par 70 it can still play to almost 7000 yards which is pretty good. Importantly, you still need to have the right line in from the fairway to get close to a lot of pins which sit on uber fast, sloping greens.

View attachment 11790

View attachment 11791

View attachment 11792
View attachment 11793
I'd have no trouble finding the sand.