Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
WesternTiger said:
Not looking for excuses however he didn't run for the last 2 months of the season or something like that?
Missed finals with broken foot , would imagine on restricted running until recent times , egg smith looks like he needs to strip fitter to me if he wants a fair dinkum crack at it

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
caesar said:
It wasn't a 2-3 hour running session it was a 90 minute normal session, (the 3 boys mentioned started their running 75 minutes in). I have been a proponent of Mabs, still am, but it was not an encouraging start.
You are correct that making judgments from the outside is a mugs game and could be completely wrong but if judgments and assessments are not required there is little reason for me to bother with a training report.

Thanks for your efforts caesar, the time that you and bullus take to keep us informed is greatly appreciated by myself and i'm sure 99.9 % of PRE members.
It makes the off season a lot easier to take :clap

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
caesar said:
It wasn't a 2-3 hour running session it was a 90 minute normal session, (the 3 boys mentioned started their running 75 minutes in). I have been a proponent of Mabs, still am, but it was not an encouraging start.
You are correct that making judgments from the outside is a mugs game and could be completely wrong but if judgments and assessments are not required there is little reason for me to bother with a training report.

i wasnt having a go at you. your efforts and reports are appreciated.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Brodders17 said:
i wasnt having a go at you. your efforts and reports are appreciated.

All good Brodders I didn't take it that you were, it's early doors so for all I know players could be on modified programs etc, I've seen too much of Mabs though to give him the benefit of the doubt.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
BillyJean17 said:
Missed finals with broken foot , would imagine on restricted running until recent times , egg smith looks like he needs to strip fitter to me if he wants a fair dinkum crack at it

Played the semi-final against Essendon. Had 1 inefficient kick, 3 tackles and 8 hit outs.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Brodders17 said:
He couldn't outrun Maric after a 2-3 hour session of running.
I dont think we should make too many judgements based off a limited training snippet.

Was a valuable snippet. The only reason I'm concerned is that it's always been an issue for Chol. He may very well still be struggling with his foot which if so, is a little disconcerting in itself after 6 months. I very well do hope the scenario is that he did have further foot issues after his last final but has now recovered but has had limited conditioning time because of it. The issue does remain though based on his form since he's been at the Tigers, he needs to improve his endurance to take his game to the next level.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
tigerlove said:
Was a valuable snippet. The only reason I'm concerned is that it's always been an issue for Chol. He may very well still be struggling with his foot which if so, is a little disconcerting in itself after 6 months. I very well do hope the scenario is that he did have further foot issues after his last final but has now recovered but has had limited conditioning time because of it. The issue does remain though based on his form since he's been at the Tigers, he needs to improve his endurance to take his game to the next level.
Apart from his poor endurance, his broken foot may continue to hamper him if it is his take-off foot for hit outs or if it is his preferred kicking leg. Either way he could struggle so this year will test his mental strength and determination to be an AFL player. Really liked his raw talent when he first came to the club.

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
One last chance to pull his finger out and repay the faith that the coaches have in him.

It must be frustrating for the coaches to see glimpses of his talent and then he just wanders out of games

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
ahyeahnah said:
One last chance to pull his finger out and repay the faith that the coaches have in him.

It must be frustrating for the coaches to see glimpses of his talent and then he just wanders out of games

Mabs looks brilliant gliding around training in the 20 minute match simulation, unfortunately the games a lot longer than 20 minutes.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I gave it to Mabs for his poor lap/endurance running the other day but happy to report that he performed well enough in the Shuttle runs today which in the past has also been a weakness at training.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
caesar said:
I gave it to Mabs for his poor lap/endurance running the other day but happy to report that he performed well enough in the Shuttle runs today which in the past has also been a weakness at training.

Good news, great that he appears to be having a crack.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
ahyeahnah said:

How do we know he lacks work ethic?

I wonder how much some are overrating his “natural talent”. We do see glimpses of athleticism, but many are assuming the reason he hasn’t taken the next step is because he’s not working as hard as some of the other players. It’s the same narrative for a lot of athletic dark-skinned players, coincidentally.

Many are implying he’s lazy but talented, and in American sports they’re very conscious about these kinds of attitudes and attributions towards black people. Australia is much less conscious about it.

I mean, all the talk on here fits the stereotype, so it’s worth asking the question if we’re being a bit harsh on Chol regarding his work ethic.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
123kid said:
How do we know he lacks work ethic?

I wonder how much some are overrating his “natural talent”. We do see glimpses of athleticism, but many are assuming the reason he hasn’t taken the next step is because he’s not working as hard as some of the other players. It’s the same narrative for a lot of athletic dark-skinned players, coincidentally.

Many are implying he’s lazy but talented, and in American sports they’re very conscious about these kinds of attitudes and attributions towards black people. Australia is much less conscious about it.

I mean, all the talk on here fits the stereotype, so it’s worth asking the question if we’re being a bit harsh on Chol regarding his work ethic.

Do Ben Lennon , Liam McBean, Daniel Connors Ty Vickery etc fit the stereotype when many questioned their commitment and work ethic?

Not sure what debate you are trying to bring into this thread, if it is race? please don't as it has nothing to do with it, I am talking about footballers pure and simple..

A source within the club intimated that Mabs was de-listed more as a wake-up call than anyting else as opposed to Towner was de-listed with the blessing of the club to see if someone out there were willing to draft him with the hope of more game time.

Surely it is not hard to observe the difference both in talent and work ethic of these two players, (hard to find a better example actually).

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
caesar said:
Do Ben Lennon , Liam McBean, Daniel Connors Ty Vickery etc fit the stereotype when many questioned their commitment and work ethic?

Not sure what debate you are trying to bring into this thread, if it is race? please don't as it has nothing to do with it, I am talking about footballers pure and simple..

A source within the club intimated that Mabs was de-listed more as a wake-up call than anyting else as opposed to Towner was de-listed with the blessing of the club to see if someone out there were willing to draft him with the hope of more game time.

Surely it is not hard to observe the difference both in talent and work ethic of these two players, (hard to find a better example actually).
I wasn't expecting him to be let go despite his 3 years as a rookie, 1 game and little measurable improvement.
The decision to give him another year as a rookie was the best one possible and must have highlighted to him just how vulnerable he is.
He has a lot of talent and our focus on youth and speed means there is real chance for him to nail down a position for early games, or fail to do that and watch others move past him, again.
Apparently now injury free, these next three months are critical.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
caesar said:

Great news. It's actually quite important to our list that Mabior shows plenty of improvement this year. We need him to go to the next level.