Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
He's probably been mismanaged, always just a third option ruck in the VFL while played as mostly a key forward but also for a while key back.

Against Essendon he was first ruck and killed it, though the opposing ruckman was z-grade. Then the following week against North he turned up his toes and I wrote him off.

Consistency of effort has been his weak point. He's given it his best the past 2 weeks. Maybe he just needed to feel valued and is rising to the occasion. Fingers crossed he maintains his focus and energy.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Apart from him being an accurate kick and a one grabber, his mobility is going to be a real asset. Being able to run to fill a hole down back, and to run with opposing ruckmen when they go forward will be very valuable.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Going off yesterday he certainly has some ability. Took a great contested mark in defensive 50 & 3 goals rounded out a great game.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It was his contested work in the air and on the ground that impressed me. Had never seen it before yesterday. Hope he keeps it up.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
Gee, the kid can play. I never thought he had it in him. McCrae is a genius.
Can't believe McCrae isn't in the mix for senior jobs yet. He'd be my pick to take over from Dimma in due course

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Showed talent day 1 (pre season a few years back now). Big kids, they take time to mature. Slowly closing that gap (consistency) and once he feel comfortable "he belongs" he can be the swing tall we have been waiting for that can also ruck! Exciting times. Worth keeping on the list for at least 2 more seasons. Hes only 22!!!

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Agree he will be the perfect back up to Nank when he returns. Soldo is done and dusted for mine. Chol swung momentum our way in the ruck and I reckon Lynch looked better with another tall down there next to him too. Soldo can't rest anywhere else than the bench. Too one dimensional.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Extreme athlete.
Good on the ground and as in the air.
Had him BOG just in front of ellis and McIntosh

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
I’ll put my hand up,I thought we made a mistake Rookeing him after delistings him from the main list.

I think Caesar said it might’ve been the rocket up the backside he needed,looks like he was right.

I’m guessing,but Cholly is one of the “Brothers”& their commitment & high standards might be rubbing off on Cholly.

He played a magic game yesterday,got to the dangerous spots, marked well, his kicking,field & goal,sensational;200cms ,athletic who is mobile & flows over the ground,could be anything.Took a little of the $17 available recently,bring on the Finals.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Surely he gets a game ahead of soldo he is like nank in that he wont win the taps but provides a contest and is awesome around the ground

Yep, and loved the way he positioned himself to receive a pass (how many from Dusty) after rucking.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Best game I have seen Chol play. He is worth persevering with. He gives more than Soldo, so he stays in ahead of him when Nank comes back. More advanced than CCJ at this stage so he stays in ahead of him too.

He makes for an interesting comparison with Balta. Chol is tall enough to ruck, I am not convinced that Balta is. Balta will make a better forward and a better defender but not a better ruck man that Chol, so he stays in ahead of Balta over he next few weeks. Given that we will need a second ruck, he may have just played himself intot he team for a while.

Personally, I'd like to see Balta on a wing in the VFL during the next two weeks. If he plays wing in our AFL team, that could be a mismatch made in heaven for us.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Listened to Dave being interviewed on the drive home. Talked about how athletically gifted MC is and how excited he is about the future. Also called syd a lunatic in a nice way. Said we peaked after the bye last year and hopefully we can time our run better this year as the group reconnects.
Just paraphrasing, and will post a link if I can find it.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
He makes for an interesting comparison with Balta. Chol is tall enough to ruck, I am not convinced that Balta is. Balta will make a better forward and a better defender but not a better ruck man that Chol, so he stays in ahead of Balta over he next few weeks.
Personally, I'd like to see Balta on a wing in the VFL during the next two weeks. If he plays wing in our AFL team, that could be a mismatch made in heaven for us.
Chol and Balta should both be regarded as tall utilities that can be thrown all over the place in a pro-active manner designed to put oppo coaches onto the back foot.

Notice yesterday that Chol sometimes positioned himself a kick behind the play and sometimes a kick ahead of the play. He was effective in both roles, stopping goals for them and creating goals for us. This indicates he is coachable and has been taught a few 'smarts' by Fly, etc.

Potentially I see Balta and Chol as two X-factor magnets that Dimma can move around the board to keep the oppositon guessing.

Throw in Riewoldt as another tall X-factor magnet and that creates a 'Holy Trinity of Hell' for the rest of the competition to deal with.

Having said that, I believe they want Balta to help cover for Rance as a last-line defender, for the rest of the season.

Last edited: