Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Baloo said:
If he manages to etch out 50 or so games then he's a very good rookie pick.

Cox was a rookie, Sandi was a rookie, Mummy was a rookie, Blicavs was a rookie, we should be aiming high and investing a solid 4 years into developing Chol into an AFL footballer, 50 games is well below my expectations.

bullus_hit said:
Cox was a rookie, Sandi was a rookie, Mummy was a rookie, Blicavs was a rookie, we should be aiming high and investing a solid 4 years into developing Chol into an AFL footballer, 50 games is well below my expectations.

Your expectations need tempering. More than 50 games for a rookie would be in the top 15-20% of all rookie picks I reckon. I class a top 15-20% as very good.

Cox and Sandi are exceptional rookie picks.

bullus_hit said:
Either way I'm not too fussed because this is all about process and I think we've finally found the right formula.

One swallow doth not a summer make.
But I sure hope you're right.

Baloo said:
Your expectations need tempering. More than 50 games for a rookie would be in the top 15-20% of all rookie picks I reckon. I class a top 15-20% as very good.

Cox and Sandi are exceptional rookie picks.

It's all about high ceilings and development, statistics are what they are, by position I think rucks have a higher success rate, I'm not content with 50 games and would hope we get a minimum of 100. When you consider a guy like Stefan Martin was picked up in the PSD and Sam Jacobs was a 5th rounder, I don't think it's unreasonable to aim high. Dean Cox was just as raw as Chol when he started, anything is possible with the right attitude and the right environment.

Agree, anything is possible. But stats are stats and they show the likelihood of long term success from rookie picks. We'd all like nothing better than Chol becoming a long term seniors player.

Hope for the best, expect the worst when it comes to rookies IMO

Panthera Tigris said:
From memory, Majak was a very similar kind of build as a teenager as Cholly.
300_daw_311009.jpg

The schoolboy Majak. Little bigger but not much.

Daw was a lot bigger than Chol when drafted

I like Chol and we could have a player but not certain he will be a Full time ruckman, more a CHB/CHF That Can play 30% ruck

commonsense said:
Isn't Daw 3 cm shorter (195 v 198) and not sure he was that much heavier at same age.
yep Daw was about 90kg when drafted but 3cm shorter.

turk-d-tiger said:
Daw was a lot bigger than Chol when drafted

I like Chol and we could have a player but not certain he will be a Full time ruckman, more a CHB/CHF That Can play 30% ruck
Essentially that's what Goodes was earlier in his career. Could literally play ANY position on the field, but was used mainly as a CHF/CHB/Ruck. Had a near miss with a knee injury playing in the ruck though and Swans coaching staff decided he was too valuable to play in the ruck and risk career limiting injury to his knees.

Big, roaming, utility. Has the pace, the leap, will get more size. Thinking...mmm....how a certain No.12 should've been used more often.

I keep seeing his name as Mabel Choir. Hopefully Mabior Chol is a household name very soon.

rosy23 said:
I keep seeing his name as Mabel Choir. Hopefully Mabior Chol is a household name very soon.

That would be 'auto-correct' for you Rosy... Hopefully you don't see it from journo's too... ;D

I saw enough of my own highlights of Mabi at this mornings open training session to like what i see :clap

Wow the training highlights show this bloke moving and kicking like a hot knife through butter. Let's hope the output matches the look.