Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Yeah. He looks like a good mover. The kicking action looked beautiful.

I don't have a read on this guy's ceiling. Maybe he is going to be a forward. (I hope so.) He can actually rove. Not many can. He's got some impressive small game.

And his overhead marking technique looks flawless.

But if he's just not prolific enough to play forward he is a natural replacement for Batchelor. He's miles better in the air and if he can bring that run and left foot to the backline we look great. With his leap he can potentially play third man up better than anybody else in our squad. He was born to play Inspector Gadget.

My first thoughts were that he is a natural HFF/small FP. But I won't mind at all if we train him initially as a HBF or #3 back.

Dyer'ere said:
I don't have a read on this guy's ceiling. Maybe he is going to be a forward. (I hope so.) He can actually rove. Not many can. He's got some impressive small game.

But if he's just not prolific enough to play forward he is a natural replacement for Batchelor. He's miles better in the air and if he can bring that run and left foot to the backline we look great. With his leap he can potentially play third man up better than anybody else in our squad. He was born to play Inspector Gadget.

My first thoughts were that he is a natural HFF/small FP. But I won't mind at all if we train him initially as a HBF or #3 back.

Currently measured in at 198cm with his running vertical leap 5cm off the all-time record held by Naitanui & Nyuon. That to me says he has the tools to be a ruckman who could cause some major headaches when resting forward. I wouldn't necessarily play him there full time but he definitely has the capability to do damage both in the air and once the ball hits the turf. The other pleasing aspect is Chol jumped higher than Nyuon in the standing vertical, there's every chance he'll be matching Gach once he builds up some strength and jumping technique.

Skinny runt to gladiator is definitely possible, Max Gawn is a perfect example.

See Max has grown an eye and lost a head:
cyclops1-1.jpg

Dyer'ere said:

I see him as the Perfect replacment for Chaplin and his role to be at CHB, 'IF' He can put on 15kgs he would be sensational defender that can run,jump,kick,spoil

Wow. Talking about building a bloke up. If he gets a few kicks in the magoos this year, I'll take that.

Looking silky smooth means Jack really. I was one hell of a trainer, but *smile* if I could get the ball on game day!

Midsy said:
Wow. Talking about building a bloke up. If he gets a few kicks in the magoos this year, I'll take that.

VFL level is a million miles above anything he's played before.

What's a pass mark?

Leysy would say simply to not look completely lost, average maybe 6 possessions a game with the odd glimpse.

Midsy said:

Looking silky smooth means Jack really. I was one hell of a trainer, but *smile*ed if I could get the ball on game day!

Well we need a new Messiah in the VFL, especially after that UberDud McBean...... ;D

Well I was impressed with what I saw at training in the match simulation. Sure that wasn't VFL but he's no fish out of water either. I will be very interested to see how he goes in the pre season games. Think he might be a surprise packet.

Dyer'ere said:

I have similar thoughts and hopes. Start as third tall, develop into a key position player - hopefully forward but otherwise projects as an ideal tall defender.

Leysy Days said:

What's a pass mark?

Leysy would say simply to not look completely lost, average maybe 6 possessions a game with the odd glimpse.
I think being in Queensland this bloke's been underexposed (both to the public/recruiters and to a quality football atmosphere) and will thrive in a full-time environment. His raw tools are hugely impressive.

bullus_hit said:
Currently measured in at 198cm with his running vertical leap 5cm off the all-time record held by Naitanui & Nyuon. That to me says he has the tools to be a ruckman who could cause some major headaches when resting forward. I wouldn't necessarily play him there full time but he definitely has the capability to do damage both in the air and once the ball hits the turf. The other pleasing aspect is Chol jumped higher than Nyuon in the standing vertical, there's every chance he'll be matching Gach once he builds up some strength and jumping technique.

If he can get air, bully, he can have Ivvy's job pretty soon. ;D

I'm just looking at where we might play the bloke in the Magoos while he learns the caper. Not to say he couldn't replace a bloke like Gordon in the ones in his first year. Runs. Jumps. Chases. If he can put it together there's an opening.

I wouldn't play him ruck next year. Maybe never.

turk-d-tiger said:
I see him as the Perfect replacment for Chaplin and his role to be at CHB, 'IF' He can put on 15kgs he would be sensational defender that can run,jump,kick,spoil

I think he's the right type, t-d-t. If we had three of Chol at least one would make it.

spook said:
I have similar thoughts and hopes. Start as third tall, develop into a key position player - hopefully forward but otherwise projects as an ideal tall defender.
I think being in Queensland this bloke's been underexposed (both to the public/recruiters and to a quality football atmosphere) and will thrive in a full-time environment. His raw tools are hugely impressive.

If he has to learn footy the backline is the best place to start, isn't it? Orthodox, broo.

Leysy Days said:

What's a pass mark?

Waw. Bloody harsh, Leyser! He can get a kick, can't he?

Why the backline?
Its Richo MKII
The kid has a huge leap, can mark, run and has a great kicking action.
Play him forward and give all defenders nightmares the night before theyre due to play on him

Dyer'ere said:
Waw. Bloody harsh, Leyser! He can get a kick, can't he?

Maybe mate, leysy is just tempering his expectations.

Reasons are Mab’s was under Brisbane’s eye in their academy all year yet was overlooked, he’s only been playing the game half a dozen years and his club footy has been played a few levels below even local club footy in Melbourne.

VFL level against seasoned men will be a monster step up to what he’s experienced and despite his athletic traits the hardest part of footy to learn is to know where to run to get hold of the footy. That won't be easy for him is leysy's thought.

btoz_01 said:
Why the backline?
Its Richo MKII
The kid has a huge leap, can mark, run and has a great kicking action.
Play him forward and give all defenders nightmares the night before theyre due to play on him
But Richo didn't have the smarts to play on the wing until the last few seasons of his career.