Government Stimulus package. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Government Stimulus package.

evo said:

You trying to get me to blow a gasket on here or something? :veryupset :fire

Where are all the ALP-voting tool-heads now defending their Chairman?

Surprised "Six Pack" isn't here with his "we're all in this together" line... :hihi

Stimulus package....what a *smile*ing joke! :spin

They're real imaginative these Labour stooges aren't they? Perhaps they were educated in their own schools...

Robert Mugabe now stands as the model of sound economic management. He's been printing money for years. Good old labour have decided to share their worthless pennies though.

Good on ya Kevin. :crazy

What am I missing here? I read reports that people who worked for a brief period here, but not actually living here, or are citizens or permanent residents, will receive an amount. I read somewhere that someone who hasn't been here for 40 years is to receive something, I might have misread that though. I also read that someone who earnt less than $11,000 doesn't qualify? ??? :headscratch

Legends of 1980 said:
What am I missing here? I read reports that people who worked for a brief period here, but not actually living here, or are citizens or permanent residents, will receive an amount. I read somewhere that someone who hasn't been here for 40 years is to receive something, I might have misread that though. I also read that someone who earnt less than $11,000 doesn't qualify? ??? :headscratch

If you were an Islamic Asian with Aboriginal grand-parents who came out on a leaky boat yesterday and had homosexual tendencies......you'd be a shoe-in for the maximum amount and some. :hihi

(if I missed a minority group here....I apologise as I didn't mean to discriminate :hihi )

Could Pauline Hansen pics be described as a government stimulus package?

Gotta laugh about Hockey going off about Pets recieving the stimulus though. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel with that one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/18/2519097.htm

Tigers of Old said:
Gotta laugh about Hockey going off about Pets receiving the stimulus though. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel with that one.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/18/2519097.htm

This knuckle-head idea of a "stimulus package" is simply one of the biggest wastes of taxpayers money in Australian history...surely?
We'll have nothing to show for it....money will be either saved (by the smart people), shovelled offshore by 'Australians' sending it back home, money given to people who don't even live in Australia....cats and dogs and pets can get some and even dead people! :cutelaugh .....and now even jailed murderers/rapists are eligible as long as they complete their tax-return! ::)

Murderers, rapists get Rudd's $900 bonus
THE Opposition wants the Rudd cash payments overhauled after reports prisoners and dead people may get the money.
Thousands of prison inmates will be eligible for cash payments of up to $900 if they earned an income last financial year.
The government confirmed inmates would receive a tax bonus if they satisfied the eligibility criteria under the government's $42 billion economic stimulus package.
About $75 million of stimulus cash paid in December went to 60,000 overseas-based pensioners. And tens of thousands of foreigners and expat Aussies will get the coming tax bonus payments.
Some dead people will also be eligible, while there is a report that dogs could get the money after the death of a master.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25202808-662,00.html

And to top off this *smile* idea:

The revelation comes as the Government borrows $2 billion a week to finance its $42 billion economic rescue plan.

Great stuff knuckle-heads! :mad:

Actually saving does help stimulate the economy.

By putting the money on their credit card debts, you reduce the monthly interest burden on the recipient. This allows them to resume normal spending patterns in the short to medium term, as money that they were once kissing goodbye in interest is now available for discretionary spending.

Tiger74 said:
Actually saving does help stimulate the economy.

By putting the money on their credit card debts, you reduce the monthly interest burden on the recipient. This allows them to resume normal spending patterns in the short to medium term, as money that they were once kissing goodbye in interest is now available for discretionary spending.

Saving...in I mean...under the mattress, in the cookie jar, or even just left sitting in a low-interest everyday savings account.
These options do jack towards 'stimulus' of the economy.

Liverpool said:
Saving...in I mean...under the mattress, in the cookie jar, or even just left sitting in a low-interest everyday savings account.
These options do jack towards 'stimulus' of the economy.

And for those who save, they are putting money in financial institutions primarily. This is helpful, because its more money to be invested in property, commodities, and stocks, and it also increases the liquidity of cash starved financial institutions.

All good things :)

Tiger74 said:
And for those who save, they are putting money in financial institutions primarily. This is helpful, because its more money to be invested in property, commodities, and stocks, and it also increases the liquidity of cash starved financial institutions.
All good things :)

Uhm...yeah...dream on Tiger74. :help

The stimulus package is meant to pump shitloads of cash into the economy NOW...not down the track or in 2 years time use to prop up some real estate development or infrastructure project.

The whole idea of the stimulus package to for people to go out and spend on retail items to keep factories, manufacturing, and shops open and to try and curtail the (inevitable) rise in unemployment.

But as we have seen....the bulk of the money won;'t be used for that and going by the articles posted so far, a lot of it won't even be spent in this country! :-X

Stimulus package =
swanker.gif

Liverpool said:
Uhm...yeah...dream on Tiger74. :help

The stimulus package is meant to pump sh!tloads of cash into the economy NOW...not down the track or in 2 years time use to prop up some real estate development or infrastructure project.

The whole idea of the stimulus package to for people to go out and spend on retail items to keep factories, manufacturing, and shops open and to try and curtail the (inevitable) rise in unemployment.

But as we have seen....the bulk of the money won;'t be used for that and going by the articles posted so far, a lot of it won't even be spent in this country! :-X

Stimulus package =
swanker.gif

when a back receives funds you think they sit them on the desk and stare lovingly at it? of course not, they invest it IMMEDIATELY.

stupid thing is if Howard put this forward you would be saying this is awesome and will save the economy.

I have to agree with Livers here.

People free of debt are far and few between. Those people, including myself, are likely to save the cash for a rainy day. So yes T74, the banks will use that money in an unauthorised fashion to put money at risk and pay the actual owners of the money next to nothing (You can talk until you're blue in the face about this but no bank I've ever dealt with has ever warned me of the risks of placing my money in a very,very low interest savings account but apparently according to you, my money should be placed at exactly the same risk as those with higher paying managed funds. How you come up with that is anybody's guess.).

Those that do have debt (the vast majority) are likely to use the money to help pay off those debts. As we all know, most goods and services (unless paid for by cash), are paid in arrears. People using the bonus to pay off existing debt are using it to pay for goods and services that have already been received, not those received now or in the future. How that helps now or in the future is beyond me.

Tiger74 said:
when a back receives funds you think they sit them on the desk and stare lovingly at it? of course not, they invest it IMMEDIATELY.
stupid thing is if Howard put this forward you would be saying this is awesome and will save the economy.

Howard didn't need to.....he was an "economic conservative" :hihi

As for ALp governments....hmmm.... :-X

1eyedtiger said:
I have to agree with Livers here.

People free of debt are far and few between. Those people, including myself, are likely to save the cash for a rainy day.

I don't have any debt and if I am stimulated by Kruddler I'll spend the money and enjoy doing so.

1eyedtiger said:
Those that do have debt (the vast majority) are likely to use the money to help pay off those debts. As we all know, most goods and services (unless paid for by cash), are paid in arrears. People using the bonus to pay off existing debt are using it to pay for goods and services that have already been received, not those received now or in the future. How that helps now or in the future is beyond me.

Its simple.

If you have a credit card debt of $5,000, you will be paying about $75 in interest each month. If you receive $1800 from the govt, your debt is reduced to $3200. This means your interest bill drops to $48 a month.

Even assuming you don't pay off any additional debt, and you keep only paying interest only, you have an extra $27 a month to spend. This money is available immediately, and is not a one off benefit.

Tiger74 said:
Its simple.

If you have a credit card debt of $5,000, you will be paying about $75 in interest each month. If you receive $1800 from the govt, your debt is reduced to $3200. This means your interest bill drops to $48 a month.

Even assuming you don't pay off any additional debt, and you keep only paying interest only, you have an extra $27 a month to spend. This money is available immediately, and is not a one off benefit.

Do you really think people who get $1800 are going to pop the lot of it on a credit-card debt?
No way, Tiger74.

They'll keep it and use it towards their utility bills and maybe their mortgage repayments once they lose their job as unemployment climbs to +8%.

Putting it on a credit card debt to save a paltry $48 per month won't happen.

Tiger74 said:
Its simple.

So what you're saying is that if everyone used their stimulus payments purely to pay of existing debt, the vast majority (you're talking about $27 every month which most people won't even notice ) as opposed to the $1800 (27 being 1.5% of 1800, I hope that's right, uninstalling askbar deleted most of my start menu damn it!) of the stimulus will simply disappear into current debt. What is $27 a month anyway?, $7 a week. Won't make a difference. You're still talking 98.5% disappearing into current debt.

I'd rather the money be put into necessary infrastructure projects like we discussed on the water thread. Yes, it may go into land and materials, but better to provide jobs in the short term at this stage.

< ETS | K-rudd >