Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I watched the video again. I didn’t realise that Salty Scott said 3 quarter time something like “ it’s a scrap, that’s good we will do them slowly” :ROFLMAO:
(That may not be word for word)
From memory he said “happy to do them slowly”, twice.
Once in the coaches box and again at 3/4 time.
No wonder we’ve had the Scats measure in finals when he’s got a mindset like that in such a big game.

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
The AFL was in a State of the Game crisis. I'm not in Melb so I don't listen to Whatlely or watch him. For a media commentator to have their complaints listened to by the AFL was different. Unprecedented.
I believe it’s the opposite.
Rather than Gerard being upset, it is the AFL who set the agenda and get their favourite media arse lickers to start talking about it on a Monday (plant the seed) then the incestuous AFL propaganda unit (SEN / Fox Footy / channel 7 et al) ramp it up for the rest of the week until “the game is in trouble and needs drastic fixes”

And the rule changes started in 2018 when it looked like Richmond’s flag in 2017 wasn’t a flash in the pan like Footscray.
First the 6-6-6 was “trialled” late in 2018 by the bottom VFL teams and deemed a success - how good does footy look now? - to try to stop Richmond playing with extra players behind the ball up.
About the same time they moved the man on the mark at kick ins back - they wanted to make the goal square an extra 10-15 metres long by memory - to stop us from being so successful at locking the ball in our forward area with pressure creating multiple forward 50 entries.
They extended this rule the following year and somehow allowed the player kicking in to run 25 metres without bouncing to clear the ball well out of attack.

There could be one or two others, but the putrid icing on top of a rancid cake was the stand rule.

No other person has done more to damage the game than Shocking

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 22 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We may have dropped away anyway after the dynasty but my respect for the AFL competition was further eroded by such obvious manipulation.
It's not really a competition at all. It's a business model that depends on selling a different narrative each year & will do what ever is required to make that happen.

Reactions: 12 users

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
We may have dropped away anyway after the dynasty but my respect for the AFL competition was further eroded by such obvious manipulation.
It's not really a competition at all. It's a business model that depends on selling a different narrative each year & will do what ever is required to make that happen.
Whoever controls the The AFL Old Boys Club, controls the business model!
Wont be long before Finals are played at the refurbed Scats Stadium!

Reactions: 2 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I believe it’s the opposite.
Rather than Gerard being upset, it is the AFL who set the agenda and get their favourite media arse lickers to start talking about it on a Monday (plant the seed) then the incestuous AFL propaganda unit (SEN / Fox Footy / channel 7 et al) ramp it up for the rest of the week until “the game is in trouble and needs drastic fixes”

And the rule changes started in 2018 when it looked like Richmond’s flag in 2017 wasn’t a flash in the pan like Footscray.
First the 6-6-6 was “trialled” late in 2018 by the bottom VFL teams and deemed a success - how good does footy look now? - to try to stop Richmond playing with extra players behind the ball up.
About the same time they moved the man on the mark at kick ins back - they wanted to make the goal square an extra 10-15 metres long by memory - to stop us from being so successful at locking the ball in our forward area with pressure creating multiple forward 50 entries.
They extended this rule the following year and somehow allowed the player kicking in to run 25 metres without bouncing to clear the ball well out of attack.

There could be one or two others, but the putrid icing on top of a rancid cake was the stand rule.

There is a host more tweeks!

You can add the relaxing of the hands in the back rule which promotes bigger stronger forwards, as we were playing only one tall and Josh Caddy as a defacto tall.

Also add the change in the rule relating to taking the ball out of the ruck, agaion promoting the bigger stronger types, as we were using Shean Grigg in the ruck.

These are more minor variations, but variations designed to stop us using a smaller more mobile team to achieve our goals.

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
There is a host more tweeks!

You can add the relaxing of the hands in the back rule which promotes bigger stronger forwards, as we were playing only one tall and Josh Caddy as a defacto tall.

Also add the change in the rule relating to taking the ball out of the ruck, agaion promoting the bigger stronger types, as we were using Shean Grigg in the ruck.

These are more minor variations, but variations designed to stop us using a smaller more mobile team to achieve our goals.
I always thought the relaxing of the hands in the back rule was more to help Geelong/Shovekins than punish us, but could be wrong…

• Angry

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I watched the last quarter, mini special on Foxtel last week of the 2020 GF. What stood out within the first 30 seconds of watching, was just how utterly flat the commentary was. Particularly McAveney. He totally hates Richmond. There was some spectacular play - some of it by the big dogs of Richmond eg Dusty - but he just couldn’t bring himself to do his usual over the top platitudes and fawning. You could hear the energy in him dissipating.

You won’t hear a flatter call of a last quarter GF when the game was in the balance still, but taken control of by us.

McAveney sucks.

Reactions: 9 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
2020 was perfectly set up for Geelong to win. An ageing list with reduced playing time in the quarters for that Covid year. Scott would have been stoked with that, as it would help prevent his team fatiguing as much. Richmond having to get into the GF the hard way after dropping the first final. The game not being played at the G, which of course would have been totally unfair to them (according to cats supporters) and then early in the game “brave” Saint Patrick Dangerfield taking out our intercept marker in Nick Vlastuin with an elbow just about jammed down his throat. I am still cranky about how he had nothing to answer for apparently, because he was Saint Paddy. To me, the instinctive action is to raise your shoulder and turn your head away, when a front on collision is imminent. Not just *smile* your elbow at the last minute.

A bit of concern for Scott when Ablett did his shoulder shortly after, but a smile back on his face when Ablett retook the field. 22 points up late in the second quarter, he would have been instructing his assistants to check the temperature of the champagne……

And then………the switch was flicked………….

The look on his face when he went in to congratulate Dimma was magical.
Yeh, it perfectly completed the trilogy of cats demolitions on the way to flags - 2017 in the Q final (probably my favourite mainly for the resounding boos that greeted the cats onto the ground in their "home" final!), 2019 in the prelim (another magnificent comeback) and 2020 in the big one.

All 3 games were the stereotypical Richmond way. Relentless pressure & forward half turnovers that ultimately overwhelmed the opposition resulting in second half domination.

My only personal disappointment was not being there live for the 2020 finale.

Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think the beauty of our playing style was other every side knew exactly what we were going to do - yet none could come up with a way to deal with it.

So they changed the rules.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Changes were sold as trying to open up the game and score more.
Most teams were flooding, hugging the boundary, chip kicking sideways, kicking backwards etc

To my mind Richmond was the most exciting team, playing fast free flowing corridor football, getting it to the tall forward asap and then crumbing, often overrunning the opposition in the final quarter.
I loved it, probably because it was my team finding a way to win.

Richmond seemingly was the team most negatively affected by the changes.
Agree that the changes seem to be aimed specifically at nullifying the Richmond game plan.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
To my mind Richmond was the most exciting team, playing fast free flowing corridor football, getting it to the tall forward asap and then crumbing, often overrunning the opposition in the final quarter.
This to me is the part that highlights the false narrative.

Richmond circa 2017-21 was not playing dull footy which was hard to watch. We were playing Aussie rules footy in a way to me that it should be played. Massive pressure on the ball carrier and tackle pressure ( it should be hard to get a kick) and fast forward moving attack. Our handball was always forward moving, it was always about getting closer to goal to score.

When you take pressure and tackling out of footy you get a version of basketball on a footy field. There is nothing wrong with basketball but it isn’t footy!

Of all the rule changes the only one I really like is 666. The evening up of numbers from a centre square restart I think is a good thing.

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Richmond circa 2017-21 was not playing dull footy which was hard to watch. We were playing Aussie rules footy in a way to me that it should be played. Massive pressure on the ball carrier and tackle pressure ( it should be hard to get a kick) and fast forward moving attack. Our handball was always forward moving, it was always about getting closer to goal to score.

When you take pressure and tackling out of footy you get a version of basketball on a footy field. There is nothing wrong with basketball but it isn’t footy!

Of all the rule changes the only one I really like is 666. The evening up of numbers from a centre square restart I think is a good thing.
Yep 6-6-6 doesn’t remove pressure like the stand rule does. It does remove for a short time the ability to outnumber in a part of the ground.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I watched the last quarter, mini special on Foxtel last week of the 2020 GF. What stood out within the first 30 seconds of watching, was just how utterly flat the commentary was. Particularly McAveney. He totally hates Richmond. There was some spectacular play - some of it by the big dogs of Richmond eg Dusty - but he just couldn’t bring himself to do his usual over the top platitudes and fawning. You could hear the energy in him dissipating.

You won’t hear a flatter call of a last quarter GF when the game was in the balance still, but taken control of by us.

McAveney sucks.
Bloody oath he does/did
And his seemingly nonstop “the little master” adulation was nauseating

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002

100%

Richmond was successfully evolving the game.
Opposition was scrambling to find ways to negate our free flowing attacking game style.

I would have loved for the AFL to not arbitrarily, and quite specifically change the rules, and for the game to evolve naturally, as it always had.

My point is that the reasons given by the AFL for making the rule changes did not manifest and the game since the changes is a poorer spectacle for it.

Reactions: 8 users

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
I've been watching since 1969.

The VFL made constant changes. K Bartlett at the helm for a while

Introduction of the free against player kicking ball out of bounds on the full.

Umpires required to toss coin for captains for the first time.

Centre diamond (sides 45 metres long) introduced. Four players only from each team permitted in the area at centre bounces.

Centre diamond amended to become centre square.
Video-tapes of incidents became admissible evidence at VFL tribunal hearings.

Introduction of the two field umpire system.

Interchange player system introduced.
Goal umpires required to touch goal post if the ball had hit post. Also two flags were positioned at one post and one flag at the other to save time when signalling scores.

Introduction of line across centre circle to avoid physical interference at centre bounces. Ruckmen had to stand on the defensive side of the line.
Fifteen-metre penalty extended to include kick-in after behind scoring situations.
Field umpires required to carry notebooks to record details of reportable incidents.

Fifteen metres instead of 10 metres allowed for running with ball without it making contact with the ground.

And we won 2 more flags in the midst of the State of the Game rule changes.

Stand, dissent was too much.

Be intersesting to see new coach and free kick stats
2015 The AFL Old Boys Club sign off on NORFLOL's BScott's decision to rest 9 NINE of his players agin RFC in the last game of the Season!
Cos we were playing NORFLOL in the first Final!
All above board apparently and passed the integrity test!
Next year The AFL Old Boys Club decided to bring in a pre-season bye to avoid a repetition of BScott's un-sportsman like, and not a good look, decision to rest large numbers of playas before the Final series.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
2015 The AFL Old Boys Club sign off on NORFLOL's BScott's decision to rest 9 NINE of his players agin RFC in the last game of the Season!
Cos we were playing NORFLOL in the first Final!
All above board apparently and passed the integrity test!
Next year The AFL Old Boys Club decided to bring in a pre-season bye to avoid a repetition of BScott's un-sportsman like, and not a good look, decision to rest large numbers of playas before the Final series.
You forgot the obvious free kick to shedda in the last quarter as well :cry: