Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Dropping the ball was already a rule, but the extra Richmond layer was you weren’t allowed to bounce the ball if you got tackled.
KB used to bounce it right out in front of him when he got tackled, throw his arms out, the tackler would let go, and KB would run on to the bouncing ball and be off. Magic!

KB would bounce the ball BEFORE he got tackled & would get a free for "holding the man". Genius.

The rule was changed so that if you bounced the ball & were then tackled you were deemed to have dropped it & the free was paid against you.
It's now called "incorrect disposal", but as we all know that's hardly ever correctly applied.

Reactions: 2 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
2020 was satisfying in so many different ways. We were a juggernaut then. The world was against us it seemed. From covid and it’s affects. To the AFL and media seemingly wanting us to fail and constantly writing us off. Winning the flag was the cake. To beat those *smile* from pussy park was the cherry on top. Watching the smugness wiped from their faces as we came from behind was something to behold. In a way, it was good I couldn’t make it to the game because I wouldn’t have been able to see Salty’s face go from “ we’ve got this” to “ oh *smile*” right before my eyes on screen. Dusty’s last goal just humiliated the handbaggers. From the moment you see the ball, him and 5-6 cats players, you just knew something special was about to happen. Seeing them *smile* themselves, seeing dusty pounce, watching dangerflog attempting to tackle and getting shrugged off like he was a little leaguer is something that I’ll remember to my grave. I need a box of tissues every time I think of it. It was a work of art, it was poetry in motion. It was a masterpiece of football.
2020 was perfectly set up for Geelong to win. An ageing list with reduced playing time in the quarters for that Covid year. Scott would have been stoked with that, as it would help prevent his team fatiguing as much. Richmond having to get into the GF the hard way after dropping the first final. The game not being played at the G, which of course would have been totally unfair to them (according to cats supporters) and then early in the game “brave” Saint Patrick Dangerfield taking out our intercept marker in Nick Vlastuin with an elbow just about jammed down his throat. I am still cranky about how he had nothing to answer for apparently, because he was Saint Paddy. To me, the instinctive action is to raise your shoulder and turn your head away, when a front on collision is imminent. Not just *smile* your elbow at the last minute.

A bit of concern for Scott when Ablett did his shoulder shortly after, but a smile back on his face when Ablett retook the field. 22 points up late in the second quarter, he would have been instructing his assistants to check the temperature of the champagne……

And then………the switch was flicked………….

The look on his face when he went in to congratulate Dimma was magical.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
and then early in the game “brave” Saint Patrick Dangerfield taking out our intercept marker in Nick Vlastuin with an elbow just about jammed down his throat. I am still cranky about how he had nothing to answer for apparently, because he was Saint Paddy. To me, the instinctive action is to raise your shoulder and turn your head away, when a front on collision is imminent. Not just *smile* your elbow at the last minute.
Just on that. I’m amazed ( being sarcastic there) at the difference in the media “outrage” between that incident ( barely a murmur) and the Maynard one

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
2020 was perfectly set up for Geelong to win. An ageing list with reduced playing time in the quarters for that Covid year. Scott would have been stoked with that, as it would help prevent his team fatiguing as much. Richmond having to get into the GF the hard way after dropping the first final. The game not being played at the G, which of course would have been totally unfair to them (according to cats supporters) and then early in the game “brave” Saint Patrick Dangerfield taking out our intercept marker in Nick Vlastuin with an elbow just about jammed down his throat. I am still cranky about how he had nothing to answer for apparently, because he was Saint Paddy. To me, the instinctive action is to raise your shoulder and turn your head away, when a front on collision is imminent. Not just *smile* your elbow at the last minute.

A bit of concern for Scott when Ablett did his shoulder shortly after, but a smile back on his face when Ablett retook the field. 22 points up late in the second quarter, he would have been instructing his assistants to check the temperature of the champagne……

And then………the switch was flicked………….

The look on his face when he went in to congratulate Dimma was magical.
The look on his face when he knew we had the momentum and there was nothing he could do to stop it as it was like a runaway train.

• Love

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Just on that. I’m amazed ( being sarcastic there) at the difference in the media “outrage” between that incident ( barely a murmur) and the Maynard one
Both were guilty. Dangerfield for raising the elbow and it isn’t an instinctive response. Maynard fully intended to land on Bradshaw and make it hurt. He dropped his shoulder into him. I am not saying he intended to knock him out but he sure wanted to make sure that it hurt. Both should have got a holiday. ‘The head is sacrosanct”. Except when it’s not. Imagine if was someone like Bereton? Marlion? Absolutely laughable that Collingwood produced some obscure biomechanics expert from some Catholic College/Uni. And he got off. Amazing. And now the AFL have tightened the rules on a “Legal” action? If it was clear and just an unfortunate accident why is there a change needed?

• Haha

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
It's kinda funny isn't it?
Brisvegas had an era.
The Moggies had an era.
Hawforn had an era.
But during all that time nobody in the upper echelons of the games management felt the need to go with a bunch of rule changes to fix everything that was suddenly wrong with the game.
Tigerland had an era and the bastards couldn't change the rules quick enough to eliminate what we were doing.
I've been watching since 1969.

The VFL made constant changes. K Bartlett at the helm for a while

Introduction of the free against player kicking ball out of bounds on the full.

Umpires required to toss coin for captains for the first time.

Centre diamond (sides 45 metres long) introduced. Four players only from each team permitted in the area at centre bounces.

Centre diamond amended to become centre square.
Video-tapes of incidents became admissible evidence at VFL tribunal hearings.

Introduction of the two field umpire system.

Interchange player system introduced.
Goal umpires required to touch goal post if the ball had hit post. Also two flags were positioned at one post and one flag at the other to save time when signalling scores.

Introduction of line across centre circle to avoid physical interference at centre bounces. Ruckmen had to stand on the defensive side of the line.
Fifteen-metre penalty extended to include kick-in after behind scoring situations.
Field umpires required to carry notebooks to record details of reportable incidents.

Fifteen metres instead of 10 metres allowed for running with ball without it making contact with the ground.

And we won 2 more flags in the midst of the State of the Game rule changes.

Stand, dissent was too much.

Be intersesting to see new coach and free kick stats

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I watched the video again. I didn’t realise that Salty Scott said 3 quarter time something like “ it’s a scrap, that’s good we will do them slowly” :ROFLMAO:
(That may not be word for word)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I've been watching since 1969.

The VFL made constant changes. K Bartlett at the helm for a while

Introduction of the free against player kicking ball out of bounds on the full.

Umpires required to toss coin for captains for the first time.

Centre diamond (sides 45 metres long) introduced. Four players only from each team permitted in the area at centre bounces.

Centre diamond amended to become centre square.
Video-tapes of incidents became admissible evidence at VFL tribunal hearings.

Introduction of the two field umpire system.

Interchange player system introduced.
Goal umpires required to touch goal post if the ball had hit post. Also two flags were positioned at one post and one flag at the other to save time when signalling scores.

Introduction of line across centre circle to avoid physical interference at centre bounces. Ruckmen had to stand on the defensive side of the line.
Fifteen-metre penalty extended to include kick-in after behind scoring situations.
Field umpires required to carry notebooks to record details of reportable incidents.

Fifteen metres instead of 10 metres allowed for running with ball without it making contact with the ground.

And we won 2 more flags in the midst of the State of the Game rule changes.

Stand, dissent was too much.

Be intersesting to see new coach and free kick stats
Obviously there's been constant rule changes, usually to the detriment of the game which then requires further rule changes to rectify the unforseen effects of the previous rule changes. But it's a somewhat different scenario when during three clubs previous eras of dominance there was only minor rule fiddling or adjustment that really had no major effect on the way those teams dominated the game. Some of the rule changes made during our era had severe ramifications for the way we played the game.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Obviously there's been constant rule changes, usually to the detriment of the game which then requires further rule changes to rectify the unforseen effects of the previous rule changes. But it's a somewhat different scenario when during three clubs previous eras of dominance there was only minor rule fiddling or adjustment that really had no major effect on the way those teams dominated the game. Some of the rule changes made during our era had severe ramifications for the way we played the game.

Yep the only change that I can recall during the Hawks 3peat era was the "walking the ball through the goal/behind line". Which ironically they copied from Joel Bowden. So another rule that was changed (indirectly) because of us.

• Haha

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Yep the only change that I can recall during the Hawks 3peat era was the "walking the ball through the goal/behind line". Which ironically they copied from Joel Bowden. So another rule that was changed (indirectly) because of us.
Funny how after that rule change we saw the emergence of the forward press and then a steady decline in average goals per game for the next decade or so.

We went from 14.2 goals per game in 2008 to 11.6 in 2019!

And the AFL has been chasing its tail with more rule changes ever since trying to undo the damage it did.

Reactions: 1 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
True on unprecedented rule changes.

What ends eras? Age of players? Asst coaches moving from successful clubs. We gained good asst coaches. We also lost them prematurely COVID soft cap cuts. More important maybe.
We had Dimma on a deservedly high salary. $100k fine hurt with losing assts.

The AFL was in a State of the Game crisis. I'm not in Melb so I don't listen to Whatlely or watch him. For a media commentator to have their complaints listened to by the AFL was different. Unprecedented.

In 2018, with headlines like.

AFL greats’ radical solutions to fix game’s biggest issues: congestion, goal kicking, skills.​

I thought, wow. So. All the great AFL brains contribute to the think tank. Are we going to trial this radical change?

When the answer was NO. In AFL style . Don't trial anything.

Just keep AFL in the news. Keep people constantly talking about it, was Demetriou's motto.

RFC set up most with 666. So it was going to affect us most.

End of the day we dealt the rule changes fine. 2 more flags. Our high number of Free kicks against seemed like it was game plan.

2021 Stand rule seemed to be the killer. Hocking said the rule was for more "Dusty moments". We were out of the 8 on % late 21 when Dusty got injured.

2022 was dissent rule.
2023 . 4 umps. No dissent and a reign in stand rule.
So the usual grey areas added to.

Dees win the next flag. Then Cats. Then the Pies win a flag kicking 12 goals.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No doubt in my mind he only did it because the cameras were on him.
Absolutely no doubt. And it was a semi power play, totally unnecessary. You will see each other on the ground.

Reactions: 1 user