Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Grand Final 2020 Thread Richmond Vs Geelong / Game Day Thread

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
It's kinda funny isn't it?
Brisvegas had an era.
The Moggies had an era.
Hawforn had an era.
But during all that time nobody in the upper echelons of the games management felt the need to go with a bunch of rule changes to fix everything that was suddenly wrong with the game.
Tigerland had an era and the bastards couldn't change the rules quick enough to eliminate what we were doing.
Read the 2020 flag chapter in the Cotch book. Nobody wanted us to win it, and in his acceptance speech, he thanked the AFL through gritted teeth.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
One thing that is sometimes forgetten about 2020 was that we lost the qualifying final and we lost it in a way that had me worried we wouldn't recover. We were so undisciplined that night. We never should have lost that game because we were undoubtedly a better finals team than Brisbane.

The saints were never going to beat us but the Preliminery Final win against Port is up there with the 2019 prelim as our best finals win in that era imo.

Typical Richmond in a way. The only year we took the traditional premiers route as the best team all year was 2018 and it was the only year in that time we didn't win it.
Agree with the 2018 assessment
Thank krist we made amends the way we did

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
One thing that is sometimes forgetten about 2020 was that we lost the qualifying final and we lost it in a way that had me worried we wouldn't recover. We were so undisciplined that night. We never should have lost that game because we were undoubtedly a better finals team than Brisbane.

The saints were never going to beat us but the Preliminery Final win against Port is up there with the 2019 prelim as our best finals win in that era imo.

Typical Richmond in a way. The only year we took the traditional premiers route as the best team all year was 2018 and it was the only year in that time we didn't win it.
Geelong lost their Qualifying Final too. 2020 was unique in that sense.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
It's kinda funny isn't it?
Brisvegas had an era.
The Moggies had an era.
Hawforn had an era.
But during all that time nobody in the upper echelons of the games management felt the need to go with a bunch of rule changes to fix everything that was suddenly wrong with the game.
Tigerland had an era and the bastards couldn't change the rules quick enough to eliminate what we were doing.
I have a theory on that. Hawthorn and Geelong are big-ish clubs but they have nothing on the RFC. To put it into perspective, how would we feel if Carlton, Collingwood, or dare I suggest Essendon were to have an era like the one we did in 2017-20? It would annoy the be-jesus out of quite a fair chunk of the rest of the league and they might fear the era would never end.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Another thing from Cotch and Jacks books, we didn’t like Geelong and the way old mate continually disrespected us.

Flog, window is shut.

Reactions: 9 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Another thing from Cotch and Jacks books, we didn’t like Geelong and the way old mate continually disrespected us.

Flog, window is shut.
Yeah, was very clear that Salty is not on their Christmas card list. I don’t think he’ll have many friends in the industry when his time as a coach is done.

Reactions: 3 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I was fortunate enough to be at 2017 Grand Final, nothing tops that, but beating the Scats comes very close.
Yes. 2017 was untoppable. The droughtbreaker after so many DECADES of heartbreak, humiliation and despair. One that a lot of people weren’t expecting. Even when being there, so many goals up and only a few minutes to go, I was still in a state of denial or disbelief, that the flag was finally ours. That feeling won’t be repeated in my lifetime I think.
2020 was satisfying in so many different ways. We were a juggernaut then. The world was against us it seemed. From covid and it’s affects. To the AFL and media seemingly wanting us to fail and constantly writing us off. Winning the flag was the cake. To beat those *smile* from pussy park was the cherry on top. Watching the smugness wiped from their faces as we came from behind was something to behold. In a way, it was good I couldn’t make it to the game because I wouldn’t have been able to see Salty’s face go from “ we’ve got this” to “ oh *smile*” right before my eyes on screen. Dusty’s last goal just humiliated the handbaggers. From the moment you see the ball, him and 5-6 cats players, you just knew something special was about to happen. Seeing them *smile* themselves, seeing dusty pounce, watching dangerflog attempting to tackle and getting shrugged off like he was a little leaguer is something that I’ll remember to my grave. I need a box of tissues every time I think of it. It was a work of art, it was poetry in motion. It was a masterpiece of football.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
What did he say?
Both Jack and Trent mentioned Salty’s comments and attitude prior to our finals encounters, and Trent seemed particularly put off by him saying that we weren’t as good as the other ‘era’ teams, including St Kilda, who in their entire miserable existence have never had an era.

Reactions: 7 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Dusty’s goals are gold - and the way he immediately turns towards his teammates

When crying gryan slots one (after missing an earlier sitter) he charges towards the boundary and fist pumps the crowd
I'm reading the Dusty book and it makes a big point about this.
Gee - he does a lot for others does Dust. That wouldn't sell papers though.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder which Chris Scott is STILL feeling like the biggest tool, the..... "Lets do them Slowly" Chris Scott, or this Chris Scott.

It's got to be Salty.

Last edited:

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Both Jack and Trent mentioned Salty’s comments and attitude prior to our finals encounters, and Trent seemed particularly put off by him saying that we weren’t as good as the other ‘era’ teams, including St Kilda, who in their entire miserable existence have never had an era.
But they did have the “Streak” didn’t they. They released videos and memorabilia :ROFLMAO:

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Sadly neither of the books mentioned the pussies Shocking changing the rules to stop us. Actually JR did mention it a little from memory but said it ultimately wasn’t the key reason we dropped away.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Sadly neither of the books mentioned the pussies Shocking changing the rules to stop us. Actually JR did mention it a little from memory but said it ultimately wasn’t the key reason we dropped away.
Trent alluded to it, but didn’t lay ultimate blame. It’s not new with us, though. I read another book over the break called Brilliance & Brutality, about our rivalry with Carlton between ‘68 - ‘73, and the VFL as it was then and their media allies were trying to bring us down then, too. Dropping the ball came in to stop KB from exploiting holding the man.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Trent alluded to it, but didn’t lay ultimate blame. It’s not new with us, though. I read another book over the break called Brilliance & Brutality, about our rivalry with Carlton between ‘68 - ‘73, and the VFL as it was then and their media allies were trying to bring us down then, too. Dropping the ball came in to stop KB from exploiting holding the man.
In those days we had Graham Richmond and Octa Wilson publicly criticising the VFL and stating that it was "us against them". The fact the VFL didn't like us very much was in a large part because of those two and they actively encouraged it.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
In those days we had Graham Richmond and Octa Wilson publicly criticising the VFL and stating that it was "us against them". The fact the VFL didn't like us very much was in a large part because of those two and they actively encouraged it.
Can’t leave Cameron Schwab out of that.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Dropping the ball was already a rule, but the extra Richmond layer was you weren’t allowed to bounce the ball if you got tackled.
KB used to bounce it right out in front of him when he got tackled, throw his arms out, the tackler would let go, and KB would run on to the bouncing ball and be off. Magic!