Greg Miller Talent Boosting Plan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greg Miller Talent Boosting Plan

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Greg Miller has said in Issue 5 of "the Fighting Tiger" bulletin that:

"We'll also be looking to create space in our Total Player Payments so that we'll be able to go after a high-profile player. To get such a player we'll have to give up someone on our list, or a first and/or second-round draft choice.......... it's highly unlikely we'd do a swap deal."
Also " The third part of our recruiting plan is somewhat contentious. It revolves around the recyclng of players at the bottom end of the draft."

Do you believe this crap?

Surely youth is what we need. Good solid long term prospects, not giving up first/second round draft choices
and recycling players at the bottom end of the draft.
Isn't this how we got ourselves into this mess in the first place.

PLEASE WAKE ME FROM THIS NIGHTMARE!!!!
AAARRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I don't have a problem at all with the policy, just the execution. Of course it is possible to trade and draft "recycled" players that become real contributors to your team, it's just that we haven't got it right with the personnel yet.

Look at Port Adelaide: Bishop, Cochrane, Hardwick, Montgomery, Paxman, Pickett, Primus, Scholfield, Wakelin, Wanganeen and that's just off the top of my head.

Similarly Collingwood: Clement, Holland, O'Bree, Rocca, Wakelin, Williams, Woewodin...not counting Buckley...

It can be done, if handled shrewdly and mixed with judicious drafting of youth— that's the test for Miller and co. this time around.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
RFC not KFC said:
Groundhog Day!

Ditto RFC.
I think I'll just go back to bed and wake up 2-morrow, check the board and see if this isn't just a nightmare.
This thread doesn't exist, right ??

Y

YiriSS

give miller a chance

he will be in charge of this draft, unlike last years one

i think with his record at the roos , he deserves a go

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Dean3 said:
I don't have a problem at all with the policy, just the execution. Of course it is possible to trade and draft "recycled" players that become real contributors to your team, it's just that we haven't got it right with the personnel yet.

Look at Port Adelaide: Bishop, Cochrane, Hardwick, Montgomery, Paxman, Pickett, Primus, Scholfield, Wakelin, Wanganeen and that's just off the top of my head.

Similarly Collingwood: Clement, Holland, O'Bree, Rocca, Wakelin, Williams, Woewodin...not counting Buckley...

It can be done, if handled shrewdly and mixed with judicious drafting of youth— that's the test for Miller and co. this time around.

Totally agree Dean3. To turn it around like Collingwood did requires a shrewd mix of youth and recycled players.

I am a little concerned though with our track record, but hope that MILLER can deliver as he has promised.

The thing I do know that all the wrong cannot be righted in one year, thats for sure.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Don't get me worng folks, I am a big Greg Miller supporter but the groundhog thing was all too scary a thought.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I realyl hope we dont give away our first round pickthis year. I think ti is crucial we keep that no matter what or at least get a first round pick better, althoug hwihtout giving up toomuch to get it.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Greg Miller and Danny Frawley are only in it for themselves, they dont give a *smile* about the RFC and building a team that can challange for the flag on a consistent basis...they only want their pay cheque and their jobs beyond 2004.

The sooner these two and a few others are shipped off the better.

Don't hold your breath on Miller........everything he has said this year has either been the wrong thing, contradictory, or offensive. There hasn't been anything decent to come out of his mouth yet.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i had just finished praising this guy on another thread for identifying what we really need and then i read this crap !!!!

what in gods name is going on down there? surely we cant give up our 1st pick??

im starting to think Harry, Laff and John F should run for board on our club and kick em all out.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Is it too much to ask for peole to read the whole article in the Fighting Tiger befroe passing judgement.

Amazing that this part of a statement was left out of the first quote that tigerjoe posted..

after the words..."draft choice" Is this sentence "Any decision to let go a current player would be based on our capicity to adequately fill his role. So, unless we had depth in that particular area, it is highly unlikely we'd do a swap deal". I think the whole statement needs to be read.

Also, after the sentence about the "contentious one". Greg Miller goes onto say "I'm fully aweare of the opinion shared by quite a few of our supporters that the team is not going to get an better with recycled players. But I have a slighly different view. I think if you work hard enough - and you know the particular circumstances of why a player hasn't achieved at a certain club - there are some real oppoutunities out there among the recycled crop. The key is carefully picking your mark. If you do that, there are readymade players who can add great benefit to your club."

As I said you need to read the whole article.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
re
"I'm fully aweare of the opinion shared by quite a few of our supporters that the team is not going to get an better with recycled players. But I have a slighly different view. I think if you work hard enough - and you know the particular circumstances of why a player hasn't achieved at a certain club - there are some real oppoutunities out there among the recycled crop. The key is carefully picking your mark. If you do that, there are readymade players who can add great benefit to your club." :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

If a player hasn't acheived at a club then he is a shitty player or the coach is a shitty coach

Sounds like a formula for continued destruction
Looks as though Harry and the boys are right.
Can't wait for 2005.....

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here Ox......a well balanced and accurate post.

You cannot justify and make excuses for incompetency.......this smacks on quick fix, short term solution.........they have identified the list as being weak but are not prepared to put in the hard yards and the long term dedication to improve it.

Mistakes, excuses, forever

P.S OX - Love the avatar.........I can watch the little man rock away all day...........very soothing.

Ox

"Waitin' for 05."
Aug 19, 2003
Harry said:
Here here Ox......a well balanced and accurate post.

You cannot justify and make excuses for incompetency.......this smacks on quick fix, short term solution.........they have identified the list as being weak but are not prepared to put in the hard yards and the long term dedication to improve it.

Mistakes, excuses, forever

P.S OX - Love the avatar.........I can watch the little man rock away all day...........very soothing.

Cheers Harry.
"The Little Man,"(LMAO).
My mates and I used to call Chris Naish "The Little Man."
"Give it to the little man,he'll kick it!!!"

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
3:32:21 PM Thu 11 September, 2003

A goalkicking forward, some inside midfielders, and a couple of good, old-fashioned, hard-nosed defenders . . .

That's a snapshot of what's on Richmond's 'shopping list' as the Club prepares for the upcoming crucial trade period and National Draft.

"There's no better example than watching Collingwood play at the moment . . . if the guys are prepared to put their bodies on the line come finals time, they're the ones you want on your side," said the Tigers' Director of Football, Greg Miller.

"I think we've improved in that area . . . no doubt some guys have steeled themselves and become better, while others need to get better.

"We need some more inside midfielders -- players who can share the load with the likes of Kane Johnson and Mark Coughlan. You can't expect those guys to run 120 minutes and there's a lot of pressure on those two week after week. So we need to bolster our depth in that area.

"There's no doubt that we need another goalkicking forward, too -- someone that leads up the ground. Ty Zantuck showed against Port Adelaide (a five-goal display in Round 21) just what can be achieved in that regard, so we need someone who gets out of the blocks quickly.

"I'd also love to have a couple of players like a Dean Laidley and a Ross Smith-type from back in the old era at the Kangaroos. They were tough half-backs, who were pretty important to the overall team structure."

· Meanwhile, Greg Miller has confirmed Richmond's interest in out-of-contract Bulldog Nathan Brown.

"We're interested in him because he is a rare talent," Miller said.

"He can score goals, he can play in the midfield and, two years ago, he played really well off the half-back line, which has become a very important, attacking part of the game today.

"I've obviously seen him play many times and I'm very, very impressed with him as a player."

Sounds Okay to Me so far.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Koalalill said:
Is it too much to ask for peole to read the whole article in the Fighting Tiger befroe passing judgement.

Amazing that this part of a statement was left out of the first quote that tigerjoe posted..

after the words..."draft choice" Is this sentence "Any decision to let go a current player would be based on our capicity to adequately fill his role. So, unless we had depth in that particular area, it is highly unlikely we'd do a swap deal". I think the whole statement needs to be read.

Also, after the sentence about the "contentious one". Greg Miller goes onto say "I'm fully aweare of the opinion shared by quite a few of our supporters that the team is not going to get an better with recycled players. But I have a slighly different view. I think if you work hard enough - and you know the particular circumstances of why a player hasn't achieved at a certain club - there are some real oppoutunities out there among the recycled crop. The key is carefully picking your mark. If you do that, there are readymade players who can add great benefit to your club."

As I said you need to read the whole article.
Well well that means we have lots of DUDS we can replace them with more duds then nothing has changed ah. :'( :'( :'(

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Miller deserves a chance to prove himself.

Before many of you go off and bag him for what he has said (we don't even know the names of the players he is targeting yet let alone the actual players that we will get in the draft) consider some of the recycled players that he recruited to the Kangaroos in his time there.

Off the top of my head I can think of the following players (all of which started off at other AFL Clubs) that he brought to the Kangaraoos all of which have been good pick ups for them.
- Leigh Colbert
- Shannon Grant
- John Blakey
- Dean Laidley
- Peter Bell
- Jason McCartney
- Spider Burton
- Saverio Rocca

Add to this players the calibre of
- Wayne Carey
- Anthony Stevens
- Adam Simpson
- Brent Harvey
- David King
- Glenn Archer

that Miller was involved in drafting as youngsters to the Kangaroos and it is fair to say that Miller based on his time at the Kangaroos was involved in getting a mix of some top quality kids and some excellent 'recycled' players to that club.

The fact that Richmond has not been able to develop kids or recycled players over the last 6 years should not be held against Miller for attempting to employ the same scouting talents that he brought to the Kangaroos to the Richmond Football Club. In fact on his track record from the Kanagaroos we might actually stand a chance of getting some decent recruits.

Miller has runs on the Board at his previous club. He deserves every chance to do whatever it takes to turn the Richmond Football Club around. How effective he is in his current role cannot be judged in the immediate short term. We need to give him a minimum 5 year time horizon before we can even begin to judge how effective his recruiting has been for the Richmond Football Club.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
It's no use naming players as re-cycled when they were torn away from their original club which was fighting to hold them. They are not re-cycled in the sense that we are looking at.

Some post on this thread have mentioned Buckley, Primus, Shannon Grant, Colbert etc etc.

These players are a completely different kettle of fish to picking up someone's "tried and failed" - and making a footballer out of them.

The BIG problem i see is this:

At the Kangaroos for example, these incoming rejects were getting coached by Dennis Pagan who has a track record of developing under achieving players.

Frawley and co. have recruited under achieving players and seem them exceed their previos levels of under achieving! - That's what worries me!!

I'm also SICK TO DEATH OF THIS GOAL KICKING SMALL FORWARD CRAP.

*smile* recruit mid fielders that kick goals when resting - genuine midfielders. It's better to have 4 midfielders kick say 25 t o35 goals for a season than one permanent forward who managed 45.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Harry,

If you ran the club we would be long gone. Based on your last post, you would have sacked Miller after what? 10 months? Is your theory that we simply should just give up because everybody is crap? Seriously, how negative is this post. There is nothing in here that makes even the slightest amount of sense or shows any vision whatsoever.

The club has made its decisions, some good, so not so Frawley, whoops, good. I am concerned as the next Tiger supporter, but I think the club has made some good decisions, and two of them are Campbell and Miller. The club has hired guys that have the track record behind them. These guys are obviously not Richmond people, because anyone from Richmond with a history of success is retired or dead.

Only time will tell whether we are heading downhill or up, but systematically bagging EVERY SINGLE THING the club does is just, well, the way losers behave.