Sponsorship Announcement = GOOD NEWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sponsorship Announcement = GOOD NEWS

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Tigers sign new major sponsor
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
12:15:03 PM Fri 12 September, 2003

Richmond has signed a new major sponsorship for the 2004 season, with communications company Motorola committing to a naming rights deal that, combined with the sponsorship of the TAC, is worth approximately $1.5 million.

Motorola was the Tigers’ shorts sponsor this season but is moving up the uniform in 2004, when it will have its logo displayed on the front of the Richmond jumper.

The logo of co-major sponsor, the TAC, will appear on the back of the Tigers’ guernseys.

“It’s the biggest single sponsorship deal this club has ever signed,” Tigers CEO Ian Campbell said at Punt Road on Friday.

“The deal is a strong confirmation of the aggressive change we are undertaking as a club, and the value of our brand.”

Tigers coach Danny Frawley said the upgrading of Motorola’s sponsorship was heartening for the club, which finished 13th in a disappointing year on-field.

“From two weeks ago it was always about moving forward, and I think this is a terrific initiative. I think it gives the football department a lot of heart, knowing the off-field is really working well and this is juts a terrific boost for us.”

“It’s put the Richmond Football Club right up there in the sponsorship bracket and we’re rapt. We just have to emulate that on the field now next year, and that will happen,” Frawley said.

Alan Nicklos, managing director of Motorola Australia and New Zealand, said Richmond provided the communication company with significant branding opportunities.

“I’m sure we can significantly benefit each other along the way.”

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Well done Tigers. Seems that other proffessional people can see the direction the club is heading.

Hhmmmmm, makes me wonder, why can't everyone else see things aren't as bad as it looks. Team success will follow now we've got money to play with. We've been hamstrung for too long.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
BalmyArmy said:
Hhmmmmm, makes me wonder, why can't everyone else see things aren't as bad as it looks. Team success will follow now we've got money to play with. We've been hamstrung for too long.

I ask myself the same thing BalmyArmy. I guess we've become so used to things going wrong somewhere that's it's hard for some to imagine that we will ever turn things around.

Some people will just need a lot more convincing than others. Can't blame them though.

Koalalill said:
"The deal is a strong confirmation of the aggressive change we are undertaking as a club, and the value of our brand."

The fact we have someone who actually recognises the true strength of our Club is enough to convince me that we're on the right track.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Great news about the sponsorship. The more the better. KL, you seem to know quite a bit about this stuff. Can you tell us, if the total figure is $1.5m between Motorola & TAC, how much is each party putting in? And how much greater is the total contribution of these companies than this year?

Don't necessarily agree about team success following BA. You need the right people in the right places. The most important are the Senior Coach and Recruiting Manager. Frawley and Beck are proven failures over 4 years & 8 years respectively. Team success will not come until these two are gone and we stop recruiting recycled hacks like Nicholls, Fleming, Biddiscombe, King etc. and we recruit players who are skillful but also physically and mentally tough.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here Ridley....a well balanced and accurate post.

Good news about the sponsorship......at least it will offset the loss in memberships.

Agree - this won't translate in on-field improvements as long as we have duds in the vital footballing positions.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Agreed Ridley about Frawley and Beck not being the right people... by themsleves. That's why the others will help out. If you think Beck is still in charge of what goes on as far recruiting goes, then you are kidding yourself. Miller is the man who holds the reins down there now, and Beck is his understudy.

People forget Beck has been doing the job by himself for the last three years, and this is the first year where we have three people scouting and recruiting. Now, we are on par with other top teams.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Ridley said:
Great news about the sponsorship. The more the better. KL, you seem to know quite a bit about this stuff. Can you tell us, if the total figure is $1.5m between Motorola & TAC, how much is each party putting in? And how much greater is the total contribution of these companies than this year?

Ridley,

Sponsorship is an area that I take alot of interest in - always have. However, I am unaware of the exact $$ figures but it puts us on equal footing with Essendon and C'wood. These 2 clubs are the benchmarks in major sponsors in the AFL in Victoria if not Australia. The report says $1.5 million and that would definitely put us up with C'wood and marginally behind Essendon - who has (as I understand) the biggest major naming rights sponsorship in the AFL

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
Good news about the sponsorship......at least it will offset the loss in memberships.

Harry you never cease to amaze me. :-\

You are finally given proof about the off filed stuff that you have saying you wouldn't believe until it was official and you still have to turn into a negative. Is there anything that this Club can do for you to actually give it some credit ??? Or is that too much to ask ;)

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Chelle said:
BalmyArmy said:
Now, we are on par with other top teams.

Yeah but can we now pull off what the top teams have been doing for a while now, picking the right kids and developing them into smart footballers?

Only time will tell Chelle. Although the way most carry on here, it's like we've already failed. One day, we are going to improve. Why can't that day be now?

Hopefully in three years time, after we've our 11th flag, we all should meet up and have a laugh at these days. Then we'll all get pissed. ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Koalalill said:
Harry said:

You are finally given proof about the off filed stuff that you have saying you wouldn't believe until it was official and you still have to turn into a negative. Is there anything that this Club can do for you to actually give it some credit ??? Or is that too much to ask ;)

Yes - actually a few things

- recruit some good kids and develop them properly
- play some exciting attractive football

I'm not too fussed about sponsorships - heck I don't even know who our main sponsor is nor do I care.

I stopped going to the football this year after the North game because I was bored stiff..........this is all I care about.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Good news about the sponsorship deal with Motorola.

They'll certainly need it because they ain't getting that money from memberships next year.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Need I remind you BA that it was our recruiting department under the so called direction of Miller who used our 2nd & 3rd picks at last year's national draft to pick up superhacks Nicholls and Fleming?

Make all the excuses you want for Beck. He's been there 8 years and he's recruited players that have helped us into the finals a whole once. Yep, great achievement.

Frawley's record, especially over the last two years (14 from 44) speaks for itself.

I think it is you who kids himself.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Harry said:

Yes
:eek:

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
TigerFurious said:
Good news about the sponsorship deal with Motorola.

They'll certainly need it because they ain't getting that money from memberships next year.

You one of those bandwagon supporters are you? It's people like you who prevent our club from getting decent players, because you don't sign up.

Maybe you have a right to say what you want here when you're a member but as far as I'm concerned, you can't call yourself a loyal Tiger Supporter.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
I'm not too fussed about sponsorships - heck I don't even know who our main sponsor is nor do I care.

Perhaps you should Harry because the harsh reality about AFL football is that if we don't have sponsors there is a bloody good chance that eventually we wont have a Club.

Or don't you care about that either ???

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Ridley, give Miller a chance. TEam is poo now yes, let them fix it. Why not get excited about good things that happen adn lets hope once that side is right it translates into good on field performances too.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Ridley said:
Need I remind you BA that it was our recruiting department under the so called direction of Miller who used our 2nd & 3rd picks at last year's national draft to pick up superhacks Nicholls and Fleming?

Need I remind you Ridley that Miller had barely been there 5 minutes before last years trade, and wasn't expected to wave his magic wand. He did however oversee the Kane Johnson deal which I think we won, and also the Blumfield move, which due to injuries isn't really paying us back yet. However, I agree the past hasn't been very good, hence the position we're in now, but you have to look ahead.

If people like you ran the club, as much as you think it would be better, it would crash and burn because you don't understand how to set up foundations. Look at Eddie and what he did at Collingwood. Got everything setup around him and it went from there. Not in 1 year either like everyone expects us to. It still took them 3 years.

I feel you should reserve your comments till after the trade/draft and then if we still stuff up, then hey, I might join you on the slagging RFC commitee. But until then, just wait and see. You have nothing to go on.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
shawry said:
Ridley, give Miller a chance. TEam is poo now yes, let them fix it. Why not get excited about good things that happen adn lets hope once that side is right it translates into good on field performances too.

Am very happy about the good sponsorship news Shawry and will give credit where it's due. The problem is it doesn't really mean much if we continue to be crap on the field year after year after year after year.......

And it doesn't mean much if we have crap coaches like Frawley who think that our crap players are better than they really are and continue to accept mediocrity and failure.

And it doesn't mean much when Miller gives us all his *smile* and wind and then uses draft picks to recruit hacks like Nicholls and Fleming.

Take a look at North Melbourne. No members, no supporters, no money. Two premierships in the 90s and competitive on the field every year. Doesn't matter how much money you've got if you ain't got the talent.