Greyhound threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greyhound threads [Merged]

Bunnerz said:
about 4,000 of those die in the first week of their life, which is normal for animals.

How do you mean that's normal for animals and what is the stat based on?

Bunnerz said:
17,000 are not killed brodders.

17,000 that are bred for racing DIE.

about 4,000 of those die in the first week of their life, which is normal for animals.
1,000 die due to injury (sad).....people die from injuries too.
1,000 die from accidents/health.

but yes it is about 10-11,000 a year are killed which is nice.

harness racing is 20,000 and horse racing is 25,000 KILLED.

"This industry is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of anywhere between 13,000 and 17,000 healthy greyhounds a year," the internal GA report stated.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-28/nsw-greyhound-racing-industry-in-crisis-inquiry-hears/6809724

most litters have 6 or 7, and 1 to 2 die in the first 10 days.

same as cats, puppies, birds etc.

rosy23 said:
How do you mean that's normal for animals and what is the stat based on?

Not sure what the stat would be for cows being slaughtered in first weeks of life, but leysy would guess well into the hundreds of thousands each year.

spot on leysy, although we dont bet on them i guess is the difference.
a girl at my work is a hobbie farmer/horse trainer and send the strike rate of putting calfs/lambs down in first few weeks is huge.

Bunnerz said:
a girl at my work is a hobbie farmer/horse trainer and send the strike rate of putting calfs/lambs down in first few weeks is huge.

She must be doing something extremely wrong then. What is the reason for putting so many down? We have a thousand sheep and we never have to put young lambs down unless a fox or crow has been at them.

Leysy Days said:
Not sure what the stat would be for cows being slaughtered in first weeks of life, but leysy would guess well into the hundreds of thousands each year.

Guess away. I was asking in regards to a specific quote. Do you think it's "normal" for a quarter of pups born to die in the first week of life? Having been a registered dog breeder for many years, as well as breeding farm dogs, and being involved in the dog sport world and being friends with numerous breeders I call piffle on the claim.

Yeah not condoning destroying greyhounds at all. Nor the treating of animals that came to light from parts of that industry this year.

Just interesting that other animals i.e. cattle where slaughtering at a very young age in far greater numbers occurs isn't brought into question.

We choose not to bet on greyhounds and knock the industry but are happy to drink milk or eat steak.

I have bred about 20 litters of greyhounds and unfortunately one or two pups do die in the first week of about 6 or 7 pups.
the mum sometimes deliberately kills one and sits on it, or one is a runt, or one is simply not getting to the tit as quick as others and getting bullied out of it.
Its life.

yes, i have had a litter of 9 and all survive great....but also had a litter of 12 where 10 died after the mother wasnt producing enough milk for all, surrogate mother got called in but they died.

what im saying is those stats are misinformed...people just think 17000 are killed deliberately.

Bunnerz said:
I have bred about 20 litters of greyhounds and unfortunately one or two pups do die in the first week of about 6 or 7 pups.
the mum sometimes deliberately kills one and sits on it, or one is a runt, or one is simply not getting to the tit as quick as others and getting bullied out of it.
Its life.

That shouldn't be "life". Sounds like a fair bit of negligence to me. Sad really. Responsible breeders wouldn't let their puppies starve to death. They weigh them every day and constantly monitor them to make sure the runts and those being bullied are helped to get a drink.

Leysy Days said:
Just interesting that other animals i.e. cattle where slaughtering at a very young age in far greater numbers occurs isn't brought into question.

it is called into question by many. but this is a thread to discuss greyhounds, hence posters are discussing the unnecessary cruelty involved in the greyhound industry.

Have been emailed that there's a program about the greyhound industry at 7.30 tonight on the ABC if anyone is interested.

rosy23 said:
Have been emailed that there's a program about the greyhound industry at 7.30 tonight on the ABC if anyone is interested.

It's already bad enough to watch this further.

Leysy Days said:
Yeah not condoning destroying greyhounds at all. Nor the treating of animals that came to light from parts of that industry this year.

We choose not to bet on greyhounds and knock the industry but are happy to drink milk or eat steak.
I wonder how many greyhounds brodders owns, i assume he takes plenty in that have finished racing.

jb03 said:
To help save them from being slaughtered as you are very passionate.

so you dont care innocent dogs are being slaughtered?
happy it happens?
think more dogs should be slaughtered?

Brodders17 said:
so you dont care innocent dogs are being slaughtered?
happy it happens?
think more dogs should be slaughtered?

You are avoiding the discussion. I have not commented along those lines at all but considering your disdain for the industry and what happens to the greyhounds i assumed you must be doing something about it.

jb03 said:
You are avoiding the discussion. I have not commented along those lines at all but considering your disdain for the industry and what happens to the greyhounds i assumed you must be doing something about it.

he's raising awareness on PRE. That's something. I now know more about the industry as a result.