Greyhound threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greyhound threads [Merged]

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
rosy3 said:
:clapping
I feel sorry for the good people of the industry and the genuine lovers of the sport . Was surprised at how many countries have banned greyhound racing.

I've Probally said on here somewhere how my dad had Greyhounds, actually had an Australian champion back in the 50s or 60s, I use too love going to the dogs as a kid, loved walking , playing with them, such beautiful natured animals. I have what I believe is majority greyhound , that I found last year, he is an absoulute ripper of an animal , most loving gentle creature you'd ever find.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Open up Vietnamese and Korean restaurants ?

I'll get my coat...

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I actually lived in Wollongong for a few years - whenever I spoke to my dad he always raved on about the Dapto Dogs. I never went ;D

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
CC TIGER said:
I feel sorry for the good people of the industry and the genuine lovers of the sport . Was surprised at how many countries have banned greyhound racing.

I've Probally said on here somewhere how my dad had Greyhounds, actually had an Australian champion back in the 50s or 60s, I use too love going to the dogs as a kid, loved walking , playing with them, such beautiful natured animals. I have what I believe is majority greyhound , that I found last year, he is an absoulute ripper of an animal , most loving gentle creature you'd ever find.

Yeah my granddad had greyhounds briefly. My ma had one for a pet. She loved it. That said I agree that if it is as corrupt and as profligate with the dogs as I think and this report suggests then I think NSW made the right decision. I reckon there should be a nationwide moratorium and a pause for a few years to see if there is a way to reboot greyhound racing in a way that doesn't involve the level of corruption and maltreatment that it seems is the current state of play.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Best way too fix a lot of the problem would be to limit the amount of bitches a dog can sire per month, less dogs less problems

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
What is going to happen to all the current greyhounds in NSW (or next year the ban comes in to play?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
CC TIGER said:
Best way too fix a lot of the problem would be to limit the amount of b!tches a dog can sire per month, less dogs less problems
good call. Tabcorp and Sky have contributed to the problem by creating a glut of racing, a lot of it meaningless low grade trash.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:
What is going to happen to all the current greyhounds in NSW (or next year the ban comes in to play?

The same as what happens currently once they have outlived their usefulness. Some will be rehomed, the rest discarded like trash.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Its sad. Sad that dogs are mistreated, and sad that the people who race and love their dogs have had their cultural heritage trashed.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
The same as what happens currently once they have outlived their usefulness. Some will be rehomed, the rest discarded like trash.

Apparently the rspca will be working to rehome the dogs.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
jb03 said:
good call. Tabcorp and Sky have contributed to the problem by creating a glut of racing, a lot of it meaningless low grade trash.
A mate of mines a professional punter( mainly on the dish lickers) he also owns a few, he says that the industry is just massive now , so much money in it.

I don't follow it nowdays but I remember there always been atleast one country dog meeting on every night of the week in Victoria, we use to have a 10 race meeting up here in Wangy every Saturday, so that's atleast 80 dogs alone racing, I think it must be close to a decade since the dog track closed up here. Also remember going to the trials on a Sunday morning I think and there was always stacks of dogs and trainers, not sure how many of the local trainers stayed in the game. Point been I'm not sure if there's more dogs been breed now or there's simply just more money in the game ? There is little doubt though through science and all that , they are always trying to build the perfect quickest dog, it must be a bit of a conveyor belt type situation.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Brodders17 said:
That's why I think a limit to how many dogs can be breed by each Sire would work. Simply means less will be discarded for been too slow, meaning less dogs to find retirement homes.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:

Not the same as you are now talking about suddenly additional 1000's of dogs that will require re-homing.

IanG said:
Apparently the rspca will be working to rehome the dogs.
Are you saying the RSPCA haven't been doing enough up until now then?

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
my opinion only but i think its crap,
horses will have to go now.
more wastage in horses than dogs.
10,000 a year dogs (Australia)
15,000 bred to race racehorses (Australia)

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Bunnerz said:
my opinion only but i think its crap,
horses will have to go now.
more wastage in horses than dogs.
10,000 a year dogs (Australia)
15,000 bred to race racehorses (Australia)
I think there saying in NSW alone there was 60k dogs.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
CC TIGER said:
I think there saying in NSW alone there was 60k dogs.

I think the 68K dogs killed was over several years, but still... Although sad for the industry and the genuine people in it I can't see how it can go on with these levels of corruption and outright cruelty to these animals. I can't watch horse racing now either - even though my dad was a big punter and took me to all the country races when I was a kid, I loved it then even though I didn't know what the hell was going on.

Is this hypocritical with regards to the livestock industry? Probably.