Greyhound threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greyhound threads [Merged]

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rowdy said:
You sound like a "do no harm" kind of person and that is fine, everyone has an opinion.

But look at all the electricity you are using being online, that's fun isn't it, hope you use a bike and not a car, look at all the fish BP killed, Better make sure that bike is made of bamboo, Iron ore kills animals, not to mention the smelters and the like killing the environment that will lead to mass extinction, but thats OK you like it on line don't you? So those animals don't matter, but you keep the moral high ground if that makes it easy for you to sleep.

There's a difference between "do no harm" and minimising harm where we can, wouldn't you agree Rowdy? I definitely do harm by being here and consuming resources but I try to minimise the damage I do. Can give you a long boring list of the things I do if you want. I don't judge people either - but when people use fatuous arguments like people are greater than animals so therefore anything goes, I'll call it out.

The argument that people only argue for animal welfare out of wanting to be on the "high moral ground" and so they can "sleep at night" while judging others is fallacious.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?

That argument works for dog fights, bear baiting and teenage boys torturing cats too.

Quiet, you. I'm off to the bullfights on my way to the circus.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
antman said:
There's a difference between "do no harm" and minimising harm where we can, wouldn't you agree Rowdy? I definitely do harm by being here and consuming resources but I try to minimise the damage I do. Can give you a long boring list of the things I do if you want. I don't judge people either - but when people use fatuous arguments like people are greater than animals so therefore anything goes, I'll call it out.

The argument that people only argue for animal welfare out of wanting to be on the "high moral ground" and so they can "sleep at night" while judging others is fallacious.

I did not use the "fatuous argument "Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?" ( That comment ring a bell?)

I was pointing out what happens when greyhound racing is pushed underground, have a look at Spain for a perfect example of the type of people that get involved when it is not regulated. If you do chose to look it up, I hope you have a strong stomach, as welfare is non existent.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
I apologise ANTMAN, I thought you posted the below quote in reply to my post about pushing it underground.

antman said:
Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?

That argument works for dog fights, bear baiting and teenage boys torturing cats too.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Maybe they should go back to the future and re-instate monkey jockeys.

"When stewards queried the performance of Eyeneeda Bite, jockey Jim Pan Zee said, 'This *smile*ing dog, he has ability but he won't go straight. If you bastards would only let us carry whips... I've done me money like the other punters, and now it's green bananas for dinner. Eeek eeek eeek eeek eeek!'"

67208705094cc85921b911cb7fb2b5dc.jpg

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rowdy said:
I did not use the "fatuous argument "Yep. People are more important than animals so therefore anything goes. We have no duty of care to animals. As long as we having fun eh?" ( That comment ring a bell?)

Yeah, I made it to L2R2R

Rowdy said:
I was pointing out what happens when greyhound racing is pushed underground, have a look at Spain for a perfect example of the type of people that get involved when it is not regulated. If you do chose to look it up, I hope you have a strong stomach, as welfare is non existent.

They'd be not to different to some of the people in Australia who do live baiting and dog wastage right now. And yes, there will always be a "market" for illegal animal sports - like dog fighting for example, that still happens to this day. But at least it's not a multi-million dollar sport.

Here's some of the key findings of what happened in NSW:

Wastage
The evidence before the Commission indicates that at least 50 per cent of those whelped - and perhaps up to 70 per cent or even more of them - were deliberately killed simply because they never were, or no longer were, capable of being competitive racing greyhounds.

That is to say, of the 97,783 greyhounds that were bred in NSW in the last 12 years, the evidence suggests that somewhere between 48,891 and 68,448 dogs were killed because they were considered too slow to pay their way or were unsuitable for racing.

As one breeder stated, "Dogs who don't have the instinct [to chase] or the tools to be a consistent winner - well a good handler can spot it a mile away ... Most of the time I'd drown the pups.

Live Baiting
Among the descriptions were that the practice was "common practice", "rampant" and "extremely widespread". The effect of their evidence was that some of them believed up to 90 per cent of industry participants used live rabbits to train greyhounds.

none of the many participants in the industry who must have been aware that live baiting was prevalent in the industry appears to have made any attempt to bring the matter to the attention of GRNSW, or NSW Police, in a formal way. This is a telling indictment of the culture of the industry.

Deception of the public concerning deaths and injuries
The Commission finds that GRNSW engaged in the conduct knowingly and with the intention of sanitising the information that became available to the public concerning injuries suffered by greyhounds. The motive for the policy was the hope that, by doing so, substantial criticism of the greyhound racing industry in NSW could be avoided. Similarly, deaths on track were not recorded in the stewards' report because, Deception of the public concerning deaths and injuries

The Commission finds that GRNSW engaged in the conduct knowingly and with the intention of sanitising the information that became available to the public concerning injuries suffered by greyhounds. The motive for the policy was the hope that, by doing so, substantial criticism of the greyhound racing industry in NSW could be avoided. Similarly, deaths on track were not recorded in the stewards' report because, as one steward told a veterinary surgeon, it would "stir up the greenies".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/key-findings-of-special-commission-of-inquiry-into-the-greyhound-racing-industry-20160707-gq10hh.html#ixzz4EBI3cxME

A corrupt industry that was more interested in concealing its lies and cruelty than "reforming". Total failure of governance.

Rowdy

11 + 2018 = 12!
Jul 15, 2009
antman said:
Yeah, I made it to L2R2R

They'd be not to different to some of the people in Australia who do live baiting and dog wastage right now. And yes, there will always be a "market" for illegal animal sports - like dog fighting for example, that still happens to this day. But at least it's not a multi-million dollar sport.

Here's some of the key findings of what happened in NSW:

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horseracing/key-findings-of-special-commission-of-inquiry-into-the-greyhound-racing-industry-20160707-gq10hh.html#ixzz4EBI3cxME

A corrupt industry that was more interested in concealing its lies and cruelty than "reforming". Total failure of governance.

Self governance in any industry is dodgy. I have read the report, I do find it hard to believe the numbers quoted in regards of live baiting, if it is as high as stated there should be a lot more people fronting court

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Rowdy said:
Self governance in any industry is dodgy. I have read the report, I do find it hard to believe the numbers quoted in regards of live baiting, if it is as high as stated there should be a lot more people fronting court

Something dodgy going on. V'Landys has been recorded telling the racing industry in April that the greyhounds were going to be closed down - how did he know?

Interestingly he also alludes to 'wasteage' in the horse racing industry with figures only recorded from the point horses are registered - the inference being that there is 'wasteage' occurring earlier.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rowdy said:
Self governance in any industry is dodgy.

There's dodgy and dodgy - if an industry gets caught cooking the books, it's on them. The argument that all industries are corrupt to a certain extent is not an excuse to do nothing.

I have read the report, I do find it hard to believe the numbers quoted in regards of live baiting, if it is as high as stated there should be a lot more people fronting court

Might be high, might be low. It happens, not even greyhound industry lovers dispute that. And again not a reason to do nothing.

jb03 said:
Interestingly he also alludes to 'wasteage' in the horse racing industry with figures only recorded from the point horses are registered - the inference being that there is 'wasteage' occurring earlier.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
closing down the 'sport' will cost jobs and money and will end a traditional past-time enjoyed by many.

Edit- sorry i thought i was on the 'end bull-fighting' thread not the greyhound thread.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
closing down the 'sport' will cost jobs and money and will end a traditional past-time enjoyed by many.

Edit- sorry i thought i was on the 'end bull-fighting' thread not the greyhound thread.

Not as witty or as funny as you can be.

Do you think they should close down the horse racing industry as well?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
jb03 said:
Not as witty or as funny as you can be.

Do you think they should close down the horse racing industry as well?

yes. mainly cos it would annoy NavyDayz.

i wouldnt object to shutting down horse racing, but as far as i can tell there is not the systemic abuse of animals in horse racing, either with horse being kiiled soon after birth, or being sent to foreign countries where they are abused until they are killed, nor other other animals tortured to teach horses how to run. jumps racing should definitely be stopped though.

and sorry if i did not live up to your expectations. i will try better.

anyway, whilst i would be glad to see the end of dog racing, my main beef is with the argument that it should continue cos of economics regardless of the suffering caused. an argument that only a tiny tint minority do the wrong thing has some validity, that people make money from animal cruelty does not.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Brodders17 said:

i wouldnt object to shutting down horse racing, but as far as i can tell there is not the systemic abuse of animals in horse racing, either with horse being kiiled soon after birth, or being sent to foreign countries where they are abused until they are killed, nor other other animals tortured to teach horses how to run. jumps racing should definitely be stopped though.

Horse racing has "wastage" too. The majority of racehorses bred will never race - and the majority of these are cut and eliminated and sold to "kill buyers". Around 3 out 10 race, the rest are surplus to requirements. Some of these are lucky and go on to equestrian sport owners or other domestic horse owners.

Thoroughbreds that suffer musculoskeletal injuries also are cut during the lifetime of the horse. These discards along with the young horses go to knackeries and are turned into dog food, or to the two horse abattoirs in Australia to be turned into meat for human consumption.

Don't kid yourself - the glamour of the Spring Racing carnival has a dark side. It all depends on whether you see animals as a resource to be exploited for human need or as sentient beings that humans have a responsibility to use in an ethical manner.

But those who support horse racing have a fair point - why do we turn a blind eye to cattle/sheep slaughtered systematically for meat and get upset about dogs and horses?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:

and sorry if i did not live up to your expectations. i will try better.

anyway, whilst i would be glad to see the end of dog racing, my main beef is with the argument that it should continue cos of economics regardless of the suffering caused. an argument that only a tiny tint minority do the wrong thing has some validity, that people make money from animal cruelty does not.

Fair enough.

And anything that annoys navy certainly has to be considered.

antman said:
But those who support horse racing have a fair point - why do we turn a blind eye to cattle/sheep slaughtered systematically for meat and get upset about dogs and horses?
Pretty obvious i would have thought. Doubt you are tucking into a greyhound steak this evening.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
jb03 said:
Pretty obvious i would have thought. Doubt you are tucking into a greyhound steak this evening.

It's what is known as a rhetorical question jb, which means I know the answer to it and understand the hypocrisy of it.

But no I ain't tucking into a pooch steak, and I've given up red meat too. Poor old chooks are still copping a hiding but I'm keen to wean myself off them over the next few months.

My dog did play with a greyhound at the park today though, beautiful dogs they are.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
But no I ain't tucking into a pooch steak, and I've given up red meat too. Poor old chooks are still copping a hiding but I'm keen to wean myself off them over the next few months.

Do Plants Think?

Smooth pebbles might go alright, especially with a dab of vegemite on top. Or dirt sandwiches if you're on a budget. Let me know how you go.

E

easy_tiger

antman said:
Don't kid yourself - the glamour of the Spring Racing carnival has a dark side.

tell me about it. 8-

I feel for the greyhounds; i feel for all the NSW punters in tracky daks.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
easy said:
tell me about it. 8-

I feel for the greyhounds; i feel for all the NSW punters in tracky daks.

It's the boys with hair product and tight fitting suits that are the real victims here.