Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
toby64 said:
Yep he is. Apparently then went into the Pies rooms to congratulate Bucks and the rest of the filth.

A true tiger would have punched Buckley in the guts.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Sidebottom had plenty of the pill the last time we played them. The difference was most of our boys had a decent game. This time everyone bar Jack was flat so Sidebottom's possessions became damaging.

Yes, and this is very revealing. When we're on we can handle a high possession player as their possessions are under too much pressure and don't do as much damage. Tonight we were off and should have tagged him. But if we're tagging does that impact on other factors? You just don't win when you're playing badly.

I haven't watched the press conference yet but I'm sure Dimma was respectful but dissappointed. He is a class act. He is our first Premiership coach in decades. Dimma is one of the reasons we will bounce back.

DS

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Not sure we had a mid (player!) on the offensive side of all stoppage all night. Got slaughtered and never changed it. Bad one by the coaches tonight.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Love Dimmer and what he did last season,but sorry that was poor coaching and out coahed.We lost it at selection table first off Dusty and Dave were not fit both were were lucky 30%.De Goery how on earth our best stopper defender Grimes is not played on him from first bounce and then to late to make the move.Poor matchups.To stubborn and arrogance for me no respect payed to pies.Not to tag Sidebottom and continued to let him go free.Didn't go man on man to just thought it was going to happen.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
daniel30 said:
Love Dimmer and what he did last season,but sorry that was poor coaching and out coahed.We lost it at selection table first off Dusty and Dave were not fit both were were lucky 30%.De Goery how on earth our best stopper defender is not played on him from first bounce and then to late to make the move.Poor matchups.To stubborn and arrogance for me no respect payed to pies.Not to tag Sidebottom and continued to let him go free.Didn't go man on man to just thought it was going to happen.

Degoey kicked 3 of his 4 on Rance.
Rance was shitful,

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Pressure is back on Hardwick. I wonder if the club pre-ordered merchandise. Footy is a business and losing is bad for business.

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
No doubt we made some big blues ... in no particular order ...

Astbury - clearly not fit - allowed Cox to have big influence and made a couple of bad mistakes.
Boot Studder - gee we feel over (slipped) a lot. Conca's in the 1st quarter on the wing was crucial - started their run.
Sidebottom - had to be tagged at some point
Grimes - had to play on DeGoey from the start - was this a case of trying too be clever - best to go with the obvious matchup
Nank - first time he has been killed. Too many Grundy hit outs straight down the throats of Pie players - three clear goals from boundary throw ins. Grundy was BOG for mine.
2nd Ruck - I have been banging on about this all year - really hurt us tonight. I think we had to play Balta at some point to see if he could help us.
Dusty - clearly not 100% but I think playing him was the right call - his poor game is magnified by others poor games around him.
We have been smashed in clearances in quite a few games this year but this was the worst - too many easy easy centre square exits.
The long bomb to our fwd line was over used and our inability to hold it in was our worst effort in that regard all year.
The ball bounced their way a lot - most scrappy kicks fell in their laps, most bounces ended up with them (although the tigers over used the tap on - need to take possession more). Many ricochets ended up falling their way - often do when its your night.

Riewoldt - a star - kept us in it - great game, although I wish he had kicked the first goal.

We were to some extent, 'sitting ducks'. One game in a month, (magoos straight sets exit was a disaster). Other teams could 'o to school' on us. Whilst we had a charmed run with injuries throughout the year. Injuries to Graham, Lambert, Butler were badly timed - none of them got back to their pre-injury form. Dusty and Astbury made this worse. We were the best team all year but just couldn't get the required momentum going. Dees and Pies have it. I suspect that the WCE might suffer a similar fate?

Important not to throw out the baby with the bath water - we need a plan B and that should come via Lynch and Balta next season. We had a bad day (remember the Saints last year). Pity the timing of it was so bad!

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
zippadeee said:
Degoey kicked 3 of his 4 on Rance.
Rance was sh!tful,

My son said straight away early first quarter , degoey will be too quick for rance , should be grimes

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
How can 22 players go into a prelim final and not be switched on.
The attitude and poor level of intensity displayed was appalling.
Such a disappointing way to be bundled out of our premiership defence.
A line might be drawn through some players after such dismal performances.
When the heat was on, the Tigers could not find a way to assert themselves at all.
Good front-running team possibly, but not too good when the heat and pressure are applied.
Collingwood slapped the Tigers in pretty much every aspect of the game.
Very very disappointing.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
Agree. How about the Ch7 Thunderbird guy trying to get him to slip up and say something about Lynch. Wasn't going to though.

Really fwit of a journo.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
zippadeee said:
He said something in his press conference that didn't impress me. He was asked about the fitness of dusty. And replied he was always going to play, because dusty would've killed him if he was left out.
Not sure I like that, as coach you select your best team, don't selected injured players. Tonight was Astbury and Martin.
In 2013 he selected Conca and someone else that weren't 100 percent.
Griffiths I think

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
toby64 said:
Yep he is. Apparently then went into the Pies rooms to congratulate Bucks and the rest of the filth.

I would prefer that he show his class in the coaching box, a phone call would have sufficed.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I love Dimma but I thought we got slaughtered in the coaches box tonight. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not blaming him for the loss. But I do feel a sense of stubbornness about how we went about it. I’m all for backing in our process and structure it has done us so well over the last two years - BUT - we had to make moves in that game early on. Pies were hot and we were flat. Sidebottom needed a tag - Adams maybe too. Grimes needed to go to DeGoey as he was too quick for Rance early. We needed to get an extra man back in front of cox when he was running hot. Dusty probably shouldn’t have played or should’ve been put in the squared for most of the night. I would’ve picked Butler for his speed over Conca.

Anyway it’s easy to say these things now. Just reckon Buckley coaches well and got the match ups right and planned for each player and their weaknesses well.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
tha8ball said:
I love Dimma but I thought we got slaughtered in the coaches box tonight. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not blaming him for the loss. But I do feel a sense of stubbornness about how we went about it. I’m all for backing in our process and structure it has done us so well over the last two years - BUT - we had to make moves in that game early on. Pies were hot and we were flat. Sidebottom needed a tag - Adams maybe too. Grimes needed to go to DeGoey as he was too quick for Rance early. We needed to get an extra man back in front of cox when he was running hot. Dusty probably shouldn’t have played or should’ve been put in the squared for most of the night. I would’ve picked Butler for his speed over Conca.

Anyway it’s easy to say these things now. Just reckon Buckley coaches well and got the match ups right and planned for each player and their weaknesses well.

At times last night, it seemed Hardwick was looking a little lost in the coaches box. Some of the vision of him reminded me of his reactions in the box during the course of 2016.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Bullarto Tiger said:
How can 22 players go into a prelim final and not be switched on.
The attitude and poor level of intensity displayed was appalling.
Such a disappointing way to be bundled out of our premiership defence.
A line might be drawn through some players after such dismal performances.
When the heat was on, the Tigers could not find a way to assert themselves at all.
Good front-running team possibly, but not too good when the heat and pressure are applied.
Collingwood slapped the Tigers in pretty much every aspect of the game.
Very very disappointing.

This didn't happened just last night. Our form after the Adelaide game has been ok without bring brilliant.
We got injuries at the wrong time of the year. We missed Bulters pace. We missed Graham's stopping ability.
Our reserves finished on top and went out in straight sets was a disaster.
Hardwick and the rest just expected us to fire at some stage last night. He allowed a bloke that sets up 80% of Collingwood's scoring a free leash, once again huge mistake.
You can't have bad days in finals, have them in round 12 or round 22.
We were beaten last night in almost (not scoreboard) the same way against Carlton. When the momentum with the opposition Hardwick was rubbing his nuts.
So many players let us down, Astbury for putting his arm to play. Shocking call. Same with Martin.
Rather lose with 22 fit blokes then the crap I was watching last night.
Lambert wasn't far away either was tip toeing around all night.
Can Puma create a boot that has grip on grass?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
tha8ball said:

Buckley can't coach. Buckley would struggle to read a street sign.
We lost that game purely from not having a plan B, because hocking and Longmire Knew exactly what to do to beat us.
Rance struggles against anyone 1cm taller, got smashed last night by degoey first and then Cox. His body language was *smile* from the first qtr.
Playing Sidebottom and Phillips wide was a devasting move. Having Aish not contest in the back 50, but stay down and wait. Grundy is what we expected vickery to be.
The lack of genuine big bodied midfielders was evident last night, the smashed us in close.
Corey Ellis, Big Ellis, Lennon, Elton all selections that came back to bite us on the last night.

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
St Kevin said:
Lost at selection table. 4 blokes clearly not right (Astbury, Dusty, Graham and Lambert). But his hands were tied, he wasn’t going to pull them.
Apart from Cotch, Jack, Higgins and Prestia the rest of them clearly were not right

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Really felt like we were defending the title during the finals. And to a lesser extent, defending the MCG streak as finals approached.

Last year we had momentum and no ceiling, this year the walls closed in on us. Next year will be different again.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Honestly the longer the MCG steak went on the closer to losing became inevitable.
God I hope we don’t go this road of bagging the coach.
He is one of many in the box.