Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
tigers80 said:
Honestly the longer the MCG steak went on the closer to losing became inevitable.
God I hope we don’t go this road of bagging the coach.
He is one of many in the box.

No one is bagging him. He was out coached by the biggest coconut in football.
He got out coached. Last nights game was so similar to the way port hit us in 2014

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
zippadeee said:
He got out coached. Last nights game was so similar to the way port hit us in 2014

I was calling for the matchup on Sidebottom halfway through the 1st. Hardwick *smile* up last night in a big way

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I really do love how when things work it’s Caracella and the other assist coaches however when things go to *smile* it’s solely Dimmas fault...

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
zippadeee said:

Buckley did his homework. Not sure how you can say he can't coach after that sublime performance. Made all the right match ups, kept the space open to prevent us closing in, took away all our advantages. Was a master coaching performance.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
WesternTiger said:
I really do love how when things work it’s Caracella and the other assist coaches however when things go to sh!t it’s solely Dimmas fault...

Let's be honest, it wasn't his, or his assistants greatest coaching game.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
tigerlove said:
Buckley did his homework. Not sure how you can say he can't coach after that sublime performance. Made all the right match ups, kept the space open to prevent us closing in, took away all our advantages. Was a master coaching performance.

Yep. We believed and stuck to our system and they planned and found a way to beat it.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
tigerlove said:
Let's be honest, it wasn't his, or his assistants greatest coaching game.

i'm surprised they didn't shuffle early when things were going south. Sidebum, DeGoey, etc.. they were a bit stoic with the system

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
toby64 said:
Yep. We believed and stuck to our system and they planned and found a way to beat it.

Tough way around it though. I don't think I'd call our system 'broken'. You will still have to be top 4 to beat us in 2019 I reckon. They had to be almost perfect. The problem was they were. (from what I saw. Will have to :vomit watch the replay :vomit ). Best marking performance I've seen. Across the ground. Marking forward wasn't our problem. It was their ability to mark all over the ground that refused us access to the footy. Every contest was like a F50 contest and they had set themselves for it. Stamped it and stuck to it). Can't scramble the mosquitos if the ball is held. That is what Dimma needs an answer to. But if they stick to their system they will still be top 4 next year.

B

Bill James

zippadeee said:

Collingwood took away our foward pressure by spoiling and kicking over it.
The coaches instruction, not to bomb it in. We did.

Collingwood took away our intercepts by controlled kicking to targets inside 50.
The coaches instruction stop Cox from leading, we didn't. Add to this Martin, Lambert, Prestia having really bad games and Cotchin was average putting no pressure on Collingwood kickers.

Collingwood took away our foward handball game by placing a backstop behind the stoppages
Thats the first time that has happened, it was clever. Whenever a spare man is placed behind the ball the fowards need be moving into that space. You can't allow the opposition to have a player in front and behind you, you have to move to make sure they are both behind or in front of you.

Collingwood took advantage of Grigg in the ruck by smashing the ball foward 20m and clearing our mids
We actually responded pretty well to that by putting our mids back into that space but that only exacerbated our foward handball game which then had to go around the congestion.

Anything that the coach could fix on the night was tried or ignored. We didn't get outcoached we got outplayed.

Next year we will have to play two rucks. Grundy showed the world last night how to open up Grigg.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
St Kevin said:
Lost at selection table. 4 blokes clearly not right (Astbury, Dusty, Graham and Lambert). But his hands were tied, he wasn’t going to pull them.

I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes we would have won if these 4 weren't selected.

B

Bill James

toby64 said:

We panic bombed the ball into our F50. This is not our system and it started a lot of our problems.

It allowed them to spoil away from our pressure and get clear kicks down the line. Much was made of the contested outlet but mostly they were kicking it out to uncontested situations.

That said some parts of our system are now exposed rather than broken.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
IanG said:
I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes we would have won if these 4 weren't selected.

May not have won but the game would have been a much better contest.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
At one third quarter centre bounce Titch was on Sideburns. Later on screen Sideburns led distance covered 13 plus k . Titch was fourth with 12K plus so might appear Titch was chasing Sideburns all night to run up such Ks.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Bill James said:
Collingwood took away our foward pressure by spoiling and kicking over it.
The coaches instruction, not to bomb it in. We did.

Collingwood took away our intercepts by controlled kicking to targets inside 50.
The coaches instruction stop Cox from leading, we didn't. Add to this Martin, Lambert, Prestia having really bad games and Cotchin was average putting no pressure on Collingwood kickers.

Collingwood took away our foward handball game by placing a backstop behind the stoppages
Thats the first time that has happened, it was clever. Whenever a spare man is placed behind the ball the fowards need be moving into that space. You can't allow the opposition to have a player in front and behind you, you have to move to make sure they are both behind or in front of you.

Collingwood took advantage of Grigg in the ruck by smashing the ball foward 20m and clearing our mids
We actually responded pretty well to that by putting our mids back into that space but that only exacerbated our foward handball game which then had to go around the congestion.

Anything that the coach could fix on the night was tried or ignored. We didn't get outcoached we got outplayed.

Next year we will have to play two rucks. Grundy showed the world last night how to open up Grigg.

I reckon there were a few instances where backmen could have "filled the hole" in front of Cox but chose to turn around as face the contest (or Cox marking it as was often the case). Houli and Short seemed especially guilt from memory.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
jb03 said:
I reckon there were a few instances where backmen could have "filled the hole" in front of Cox but chose to turn around as face the contest (or Cox marking it as was often the case). Houli and Short seemed especially guilt from memory.
was going to say the same thing.

B

Bill James

jb03 said:

Filling the hole doesn't stop him. You have to stop him leading. He doesn't take many marks if he is not allowed to run at the ball. If he is allowed to run at the ball putting someone 40cm shorter in the hole will do nothing.

Tigerdangerous

Tigerdangerous
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Being “process driven” and “relying on our processes” may be the cornerstone of Hardwicks coaching, however on Friday night he was exposed by his opposition coach who unlike Hardwick was prepared to do what it takes to counter the Tiger strengths and exploit our weaknesses and unlike most of the media and supporters had a better idea on the real physical condition of a number of Tigers.

Process driven without the courage to observe the situation objectively on any game day when your side is losing as convincingly as we were on Friday night and making necessary changes to wrestle the game back, is poor coaching. And being far too reliant on a limited coaching philosophy has been a major flaw in Hardwick’s coaching. True many of the Tigers were down on form but it's also true at least two, if not more, should have been rested because they were not 100% fit.

Most of us have known for most of his tenure at the RFC, he has a poor game day record. Friday night was proof of that again, although there is a good argument that our prelim problems began at selection. That conservative selection and going with underdone players has Hardwick’s finger prints all over it.

Learning from failure begins now for the players and most importantly for the head coach. He needs to add a few more strings to his bow and not just rely on his processes, which as we found out can be unraveled by an opposition coach who did his homework and structured up his side to easily defeat the Tigers in the end. A little bit of “coaching out of left field” was required on the night, particularly in the second quarter to upset the flow and charge and mindset of the Magpies. That happened in the third quarter thanks to a player that is caviler, and does what you least expect on the field, often despite the processes in place and Jack almost rallied the side to getting the game back on our terms. Hardwick could take a leaf out of Jack’s playbook!!!!!!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bill James said:

Outplayed AND outcoached. Changes were made far too late. It was obvious after about 2 contests that Rance was too slow for DeGoey as one example. Waited for him to kick 3 goals before changing to Grimes, De Goey relatively unsighted after that. Ball game was done at half time. Few position changes made that got us back in with a sniff but you're never going to come back from 53 points down after playing so poorly. Didn't help that Cox decided to choose this game to take 8 contested grabs. Not sure anything would have stopped him tonight in that first half.