Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I recently listened to Rhett‘s podcast interview with him. It’s an absolute pearler and Tom was just full of life lessons - public speaking, self development, emotional resilience, physical health and diet. No wonder the got the most out of every playing group he worked with. He was doing the stuff they write about in leadership books thirty years before they were written. truly inspiring.

Do yourself a favour and listen to it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/tom-hafey/id1151412321?i=1000487225448
Thanks Roar.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
On the Talking Tigers podcast this week Neil Balme talks glowingly about how good a coach Damien has become

Imo he is very underated in the football world still.

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Look, the funny thing is when Dimma signed on as coach, he didn’t declare he’s the most naturally talented coach going around, and he didn’t claim to already be what everyone expected him to be.

He was honest, continually learned more, and treated people with respect as a matter of priority.

And look, this isn’t often acknowledged, but the reality is he created an environment where his players wanted to stay. That’s a great reflection of him as a person. His players developed in all areas of their life, not just football.

At some point along the way he became a better coach than the Chris Scott’s of the coaching world who did exude an attitude of believing they‘re a coaching genius from day 1. I don’t know when it happened, but it did.

In this light, Dimma’s coaching career is perhaps best reflected by a Lambert, Houli, or Rance eventually improving to surpass a Dangerfield, Whitfield, J. Cameron, or any number of talented elite draft picks when it’s time to compete in the big game.

His success speaks to something deeper about the nature of human potential that I don’t quite have the words to describe, but I suspect many Tiger fans will know what I’m getting at.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Another coaching master-class from dimma.

Amazing that we can go from being a poor centre clearance and contested ball team to being dominant in less than a month.

Coaching group identified the weakness and turned it into a strength

Might as well build the statue now

Reactions: 1 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
He mixed things up a bit by moving Balta forward, which appeared to pay off almost immediately. Shame Noah missed the goal.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hinkley (predictably) named Coach of the Year, as voted by the coaches.

Then... Fagan and Scott. Hardwick apparently the least deserving (least popular ?) of the top four coaches.

Assistants - Giansiracusa (Bulldogs), Lappin (Geelong), Power (Carlton).

Balme awarded the Neale Daniher Lifetime Achievement Award.

Reading the Port BF forum, the majority want Ken sacked...

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Then... Fagan and Scott. Hardwick apparently the least deserving (least popular ?) of the top four coaches.
it's amazing how we manage to win games and flags.

the players are average

so are our coaches.

the umps screw us every game

it must be the vibe that gets us over the line

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Don't mind HInkley. Good choice IMO. Seems our coaches, like the players, don't get the credit they deserve because we are such a role playing team.

Still I'm sure DImma doesn't care if he picks up a third premiership as a coach.

Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Any chance we could get Lappin from geelong?

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Look, the funny thing is when Dimma signed on as coach, he didn’t declare he’s the most naturally talented coach going around, and he didn’t claim to already be what everyone expected him to be.

He was honest, continually learned more, and treated people with respect as a matter of priority.
Ch7 showed him on the phone in the last Q v port issuing some directive at that high pressure high stakes time, and you can lip read him (seemingly) saying "thank you" to whoever is on the end of the phone.
All class Dimma.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Love the footage of Dimma in the box. Clearly he has a good sense of urgency, but (usually) remains calm.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Ch7 showed him on the phone in the last Q v port issuing some directive at that high pressure high stakes time, and you can lip read him (seemingly) saying "thank you" to whoever is on the end of the phone.
All class Dimma.
“Thank you”
I though he said “*smile* you”

• Haha

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
Pretty sure was referring to Geelong. We all know Tommy took the other more dreadful mob to 4 losing GF's.

Tommy never took Geesook or the Swans for that matter to a GF.
We employed Tommy to speak at leadership conferences aimed at our senior management and everyone loved him, regardless of who they supported or if they were even interested in footy.

The Q&A sessions after his speech were always interesting and forthright. He stated that the only side he regretted coaching was Sydney and if he had his time again he would not have done it.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019

Wow. I'm actually a bit surprised that Brett Ratten didn't get a sniff there either - he did a pretty great job in his first year back as a head coach. Not many coaches get a crack after a decade on the pine, & the ones that do tend not to have much luck. He did a good job getting the saints back into the finals

Seriously though, how do you give an award for an assistant coach? How can you KPI their success to give that with any confidence?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Balme has been recently on the talking tigers podcast and he talked about how we actually changed things mid game against Port to turn around the clearances.
He said that it starts with the coach(es) identifying what has to be done, communicating it and the players being well enough coached to implement it.
He said changing mid game is the hardest thing to do as a player and a team.
We are incredibly well coached

Reactions: 11 users