Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

I think it takes the oxygen away.

"RFC is aware of the rumours regarding the coach being sacked. They are false. Hardwick will be our coach in 2021 and beyond."

Issue over.

While that may be true, it may also encourage other rumours to be started knowing that it will illicit a response from the club.

And what if there are 3 rumours every week? Does the club then have to release statements for every rumour?

Reactions: 1 users
A rumour going today
Kingsley to take over in 2022.
Cant be true. Leppa would be the most obvious choice

Generally speaking, footy clubs are hopeless at public relations management.

It's a weird thing. Reputation management is something that affects livelihoods (and lives full stop).

And yet, I wonder whether even one AFL club retains a PR firm or even puts enough store in public relations to have someone with expertise on their board.

I agree with @Tiger Pops and @The Big Richo that affirmative action is the smart move.

But that doesn't necessarily mean a blanket media statement or having three club reps talk to the media only to contradict each other. Dumb clubs like Collingwood and Adelaide take that path.

There are more astute ways of engineering desired outcomes, such as creating photo opps, announcing 'seemingly' unrelated news, relying on a trusted media ally to write a puff piece, etc.

Clever tactics can quickly take the wind out of these things without yielding to the mob.

Last edited:
Time to take another break from PRE. This site is unfortunately toxic at the moment. Like when the Rance thread was running hot.

Reactions: 2 users
"When contacted the club gave a statement to the Herald Sun:"

“The Club is aware that coach Damien Hardwick is currently in a relationship with a member of the Club’s administration staff. The Club has no concerns with this under Club policy. Beyond this, it is a private matter and we ask that privacy be respected.”

Reactions: 3 users
This will go away quickly.
l highly doubt it. Hardwick's relationship will divide the group. The club family/culture values look to have been compromised even though its a personal issue. Interesting times at the club this year.

Last edited:
l highly doubt it. Hardwick's relationship will divide the group. The club values look to have been compromised. Interesting times at the club this year.

Top 4 draft pick like the glory days?

l highly doubt it. Hardwick's relationship will divide the group. The club values look to have been compromised. Interesting times at the club this year.
Why?
It’s a football club / business not the Catholic Church.
No offence has been committed.
Whilst no doubt it will create some disappointment amongst players / staff, they are still employed to do a job.

Reactions: 7 users
But the Herald Sun reported it has “rocked staff within the club and could affect the playing group”.

Normally i take quotes like that with a pinch of salt.
But that's my question to the club.

We've taken a lot of hits by media, could this one be the one that breaks us?
Or will it do the opposite, again.

Why?
Whilst no doubt it will create some disappointment amongst players / staff, they are still employed to do a job.
l just think it will, time will tell.

Why?

Exactly.
I can't see Martin or Castagna giving a shitt what Hardwick is doing in his spare time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
But the Herald Sun reported it has “rocked staff within the club and could affect the playing group”.

Normally i take quotes like that with a pinch of salt.
But that's my question to the club.

We've taken a lot of hits by media, could this one be the one that breaks us?
Or will it do the opposite, again.
Everyone is disappointed, but if any staff members have been affected so badly, they aren't tied to the door. They can resign and leave.

Reactions: 1 user
Why?
It’s none of our business but the impact it will have will be significat.

For a club that has preached ”family and culture” it’s less than ideal.

Will come up all year, an unwanted distraction.

Reactions: 12 users
l just think it will, time will tell.

Like what? The Covid breaches or the fingers up the bum or Hardwick bagging the opposition?
As soon long as Martin dosent go to Collingwood or Grimes to Essendon we will be all ok.
We have just won 3 flags. Who gives a *smile*??