Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You make great points Carter. My concern only is the amount of lost football IQ out of the coaches box. Leppa and McRae are no football dummies.

Agreed Aces, the shot of all the coaches pondering things in the box after the game didn’t fill me with the same reassurance as it usually does.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He looked lost last night..
Refused to keep our forwards in position.
The single ruckman isn't working.
And not getting Salem a new opponent was a bad error.
Rioli was lost

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Agreed Aces, the shot of all the coaches pondering things in the box after the game didn’t fill me with the same reassurance as it usually does.
Happened again last night. Our smarts or lack of in the coaches box is telling.

Reactions: 1 users

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
So which high quality assistant coaches should we be targeting for next year?
In particular a new ball movement and forward coach would be handy..

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Vlasyin , Stack when tbey are a avaliable will make a big diffrence to defense ..
Just gotta grind out a couple of wins till the bye ...

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
My concern only is the amount of lost football IQ out of the coaches box. Leppa and McRae are no football dummies.
100% agree. this is where a problem sits. don't feel we really replaced them.
whats a General without his Lieutenants ?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Folks have gotta remember one critical factor - normally, when the midfield is functioning as it should, we actually shut down the short pass and force the long ball.

Is the short pass easier with the new stand rule? Probably, but I still think our midfield was well down yesterday.

Not enough evidence either way at this point. Personally I think the system just needs mild tinkering at most.

The improvement will come from conditioning and effort.

Still think this is relevant for last nights game - we do need to tinker a little with our game style though, not though it out.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How effective is the small forward pressure gameplan in the current evolution of the game?

Looked to me like we used up a lot of petrol tickets in the first term of the game on the wide open spaces of the G yesterday.
Remember we haven't played much footy on the larger ground since they tinkered with the rules & now we've been touched up twice this year on our own deck.
All of Rioli, Aarts & Castagna were burnt out by quarter time & ineffective thereafter. Good sides by foot & hand won't turn it over like the lesser clubs do. There's a lot more room to execute.

It's time for a rethink.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The players also need to be encouraged to take their shots when coming into goal. This sharing around ethos is costing goals.

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Dimma’s post-match was reassuring. He’s on top of it.

Melbourne’s defensive structures were too good for us, and ours didn’t hold up. New challenge. Players and coaches will be looking for answers that they currently don’t have. It’s up to everyone to brainstorm and find a way.

We’re probably not in the box seat to win the premiership yet, but we weren’t in the box seat early in the season in previous years either, and we do have a great group of people who are problem-solvers. Things can change quickly, but it’s not guaranteed. With less coaching support, perhaps more answers will need to come directly from the playing group.

The coach is doing an excellent job at wasting no time IMO. A majority of other coaches make basic excuses and show bias in this situation all the time, but Dimma was first class and that attitude will speed up their learning.

The players also need to be encouraged to take their shots when coming into goal. This sharing around ethos is costing goals.

We also lost 2 goals by not sharing it:

1. Lynch 40m on the boundary with time, Aarts free over the top 20m out in space

2. George 40m out under pressure, with Shai free in space closer to goal

Selflessness builds confidence, brings others into the game, and fosters team morale. It’s been a key feature of ours in 3 premierships. Gotta persist with it IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is clear that we are a bit down, it is clear that the game has changed, not hugely but enough to need to tweak a few things.

I think the defending space strategy is looking a lot less important than it was. The way the game is being played at the moment is such that teams are able to get around this utilising short passes and handballs and going deliberately around the boundary. We are using players, and taxing their fitness, by blocking space in the corridor which is not being used. Plus, with less rotations it may just be too taxing on our players. We have to find a better way to combat both the switch and the chip it up the boundary strategies.

We also need to look at doing a few things differently as we are not getting the ball forward effectively. I think we are too predictable when we attack out of defence. That can work if it is very fast and we can get a jump on the opposition's defence, otherwise we need to look at mixing it up more. Look at the way we started to handball and pass sideways in the Port game, it was quite noticeable and it disrupted the Port defence as we were less predictable. We are the chaos team but at the moment we are less chaotic and just too predictable.

Although we are still defending well our players are getting very tired blocking space for little reward as the opposition is going around the blocked space anyway. Yes this slows them down and we can set up better but it is too taxing on our players with the reduction in rotations and it isn't working.

We will be better with players back, but they ain't back for a little while so time to tweak how we attack and how we defend. We are not using the space available in attack and are getting very crowded, our forwards need more separation. We need to be going sideways sometimes, mix it up. If the forward line is congested then stretch the defence out by going sideways, make them defend more territory - finding space in the forward line is damned hard in the modern game but on the MCG it should be doable.

One thing to remember, in 2020 we were 3-1-2 after 6 rounds. We made top 4 with only 11 rounds to follow. We have more time to sort things out this year as we still have 16 rounds to go.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
I think it has been part parcel of richmond to always start the season poorly (except 2016 and 2018) and then finish strong so I'm sure Dimma is not too fazed. Like in 2015 we started 2-4 and still finished 15-7, we won 9 in a row in 2014, went from 5-4 in 2017 to 15-7, went from 7-6 to 16-6 in 2019 and 2020 we looked un richmond like up until like the north or bulldogs games. Looking at our fixture, we dont play melbourne, port and sydney again until finals if we meet which is good and we have very winnable games against north, giants twice, saints, adelaide, hawthorn, gold coast and collingwood. Assuming we beat all those teams and only win 4 of the other 8 (bulldogs, geelong, geelong, essendon, freo, lions, lions and eagles) we would have a record of 15-7 which would likely result in a top 4 finish

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
At this Level and you have the ball up to 45m out and in the corridor a shot should be first option and a high percent conversion rate. Rilio had ball twice in last q in that position and first instinct was to turn away from goal and handball backwards. But far from only offender.