Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Found Dimma's presser quite interesting.
Seems like he wants Houli back ASAP with the new rules & I can't blame him. He & his footy dept can see what's happening.
The need is for fast smart thinking, players with great disposal.
Slower players with poor foot skills are going to find it tougher to survive in this rapidly evolving game..
Interesting times.

Reactions: 4 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Wonder weather there'll be 75,000 people in the forward line this week?
Dimma's comments after our 1st match away from Melbourne last year which we won 4 goals to 3 in a shoot out!:))

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Seems like he wants Houli back ASAP with the new rules & I can't blame him. He & his footy dept can see what's happening.
Slower players with poor foot skills are going to find it tougher to survive in this rapidly evolving game..
Interesting times.
Caddy and Aarts types will see less games as this season rolls on.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Interesting times.
Makes you wonder what else SHocking is gonna come up with against us.

Reactions: 1 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Is this the end of chaos?

Just watching the West Coke mob absolutely carve up the Port Adelaide Swampies with precision kicking and controlled tempo.

The Swans did the same today, very clever tempo and ball use and were able to pick us apart. We couldn't get near them let alone apply pressure.

These new rules create space and allow separation as well as more free flowing play. I think the spacing created by the man on the mark rule is our biggest issue.

Even at the height of our success we have never been a great kicking side and Short is probably our best kick along with Dusty and even Edwards now.

Looking at Eggy he wasn't able to get the ball enough and when he did it was always under pressure. Shorty couldn't hit s target to save his life today.

Maybe we were just down today.. but who are the kids with the laser beam field kicking?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Zoning might be dead.
Chip and mark plan seems to work best with the new rules.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Just watching the West Coke mob absolutely carve up the Port Adelaide Swampies with precision kicking and controlled tempo.

The Swans did the same today, very clever tempo and ball use and were able to pick us apart. We couldn't get near them let alone apply pressure.

These new rules create space and allow separation as well as more free flowing play. I think the spacing created by the man on the mark rule is our biggest issue.

Even at the height of our success we have never been a great kicking side and Short is probably our best kick along with Dusty and even Edwards now.

Looking at Eggy he wasn't able to get the ball enough and when he did it was always under pressure. Shorty couldn't hit s target to save his life today.

Maybe we were just down today.. but who are the kids with the laser beam field kicking?
Yep we are playing a different game. Throw it all in the bin. Time for fresh thinking.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

But - what happens when wet, or windy, or both, and/or in the finals cauldron

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Fair call but the rule changes may have reduced our advantage in these areas. It’s clear from the first 3 games our pressure game is not as relevant with these new rules. We need to adjust accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Today’s game was similar to the 2018 PF loss & Rd 2 2019 loss to Collingwood. Both lost on opposition controlling ball via short field kicking. Only counter that by winning clearance/contested ball & playing man on man not a zone. Hardwick isn’t great at dealing with the strategy we had against us today - will be interesting to see what his solution is.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Fair point, but, conversely, what happens if the wet, the wind and the finals cauldron don't mean that pressure football works.

The thing is that pressure has been a big factor in football for years, but the way the game is being played at the moment it is far less of a factor. Teams are able to open up space and avoid pressure.

Unless the ability to avoid pressure is somehow counteracted we are going to see the game look like basketball for a long time. I have nothing against basketball per se but it isn't Australian Rules Football.

DS

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Yep we are playing a different game. Throw it all in the bin. Time for fresh thinking.
Legitimately very worried about what Port, WB, West Coast or the Lions will do against us if we play this style.

Maybe it's just as simple as we had a bad day across the board. Still it's a massive worry when we have an extra defender back and they have an extra in the midfield and they were still able to pinpoint fwd 50 entries with ease.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Folks have gotta remember one critical factor - normally, when the midfield is functioning as it should, we actually shut down the short pass and force the long ball.

Is the short pass easier with the new stand rule? Probably, but I still think our midfield was well down yesterday.

Not enough evidence either way at this point. Personally I think the system just needs mild tinkering at most.

The improvement will come from conditioning and effort.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Folks have gotta remember one critical factor - normally, when the midfield is functioning as it should, we actually shut down the short pass and force the long ball.

Is the short pass easier with the new stand rule? Probably, but I still think our midfield was well down yesterday.

Not enough evidence either way at this point. Personally I think the system just needs mild tinkering at most.

The improvement will come from conditioning and effort.
You make great points Carter. My concern only is the amount of lost football IQ out of the coaches box. Leppa and McRae are no football dummies.