Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Reckon Monday being a public holiday might have had something to do with it. The Sunday HS is the most content-poor newspaper going around.

Disagree. I'd much prefer the Sunday H/S to the Tuesday one.

Has anybody subscribed to these morons yet?

That blog is getting nastier as everyday goes on. Do they take feedback into account or do they just suck their lips at the number of hits they get?

TigerForce said:
Has anybody subscribed to these morons yet?

That blog is getting nastier as everyday goes on. Do they take feedback into account or do they just suck their lips at the number of hits they get?

What is the link to this blog TF? Would love to see what people are saying...

rokin.tiger said:

Just open their website and click on YOUR TOP QUESTIONS. I've read so many negative and goodbye comments in the last 2 days.

Today's one starts at 1.30pm.

Re: HeraldSun

Tigerhart04 said:
We'll see Goodie, watch this space ;)

Nah, Goodie Yum Yum is right. Google give free to the consumer but charge the Corporate/Enterprise for the same service (plus a bit of extra fluff) but with guaranteed service levels and support. They won't charge the average consumer but if a consumer demands more, like more space for photos, the consumer already pays.

I doubt it will change.

rokin.tiger said:

Read through it yet rokin?

Funny how Bane the Blogger keeps referring to the AFR all the time virtually believing the Hun articles have the same value.

TigerForce said:
Read through it yet rokin?

Funny how Bane the Blogger keeps referring to the AFR all the time virtually believing the Hun articles have the same value.
Read the previous days one and going through todays.

What I have made out of it...
1. This Nathaniel guy is a joke.
2. Most people won't subscribe after the two month free trial
3. I myself won't pay for something I previously received for free.
4. Will be happy to read free content only.
5. Don't like how the HUN is insisting on ads even after subscription (before videos etc) Like free apps you expect it, but when you buy the full version they usually come without them.
If they say they are introducing new journalism then get with the current trends in that sense.
Although nathaniel likes how it creates the feel of a newspaper with the advertising.
No, ads in newspapers do not have effects, move or make noise mate.

Anyway if facebook was to go subscription based i'd move on too.
The internet is about freedom, and freedom to source your own information and news. So that's my bit.

rokin.tiger said:
The internet is about freedom, and freedom to source your own information and news. So that's my bit.

They used to say that online is cheaper to produce or has it changed somehow all of a sudden?

Unless there all exclusives, it's funny how they block articles which can be read in any other news website.

rokin.tiger said:

It usually costs someone a lot of money just the same. Anyone has the right to charge a fee for their website/service same as others have the right to choose not to use it. I have no issues with the H/S charging. I rarely do more than glance at the headlines anyway. They are usually first with the breaking news. Consumer demand will show how successful their initiative is. I won't pay because it's not important enough to me to do so. I will pay for privately run websites but that's usually a self-initiated donation out of appreciation rather than a demand in order to use the service.

rosy23 said:
It usually costs someone a lot of money just the same. Anyone has the right to charge a fee for their website/service same as others have the right to choose not to use it. I have no issues with the H/S charging. I rarely do more than glance at the headlines anyway. They are usually first with the breaking news. Consumer demand will show how successful their initiative is. I won't pay because it's not important enough to me to do so. I will pay for privately run websites but that's usually a self-initiated donation out of appreciation rather than a demand in order to use the service.

I can see where you are coming from...
I usually visit their website many times throughout the day when I am at work to pass time.
And this started from the content being free and readily available to me.
In the current environment including twitter and the like, sometimes it is not the first to produce headline news
For example, I follow Sandra Sully on twitter and i find out about most breaking news through that before any other media form
But everyone has the ability to choose... like i said we will source information from where we want..
I would like to see how this goes after the two month trial personally...

From now on though, when I google something of interest I will think twice about clicking the HS link in case i'll have to waste time signing up or logging in...

The Hun always expected some fury over this move but as more papers follow, it will all die down. Some people of course will never pay but others, who now say they won't, will eventually when the only free content is from the ABC and the Guardian. The Age's folly in all of this is not doing a fantasy football comp. Mind-numbingly stupid not to get aboard and continue with their rather boring tipping comp.

Baloo said:
Nah, Goodie Yum Yum is right. Google give free to the consumer but charge the Corporate/Enterprise for the same service (plus a bit of extra fluff) but with guaranteed service levels and support. They won't charge the average consumer but if a consumer demands more, like more space for photos, the consumer already pays.

I doubt it will change.

Wait, wait for it!

Anyhoo it just a little old opinion a few IT guys and myself have, nothing more.

Murdoch floated this idea 2 years ago. This is a good article how the might make more money from less viewers http://mumbrella.com.au/murdochs-paid-online-access-strategy-for-the-times-might-just-work-for-the-australian-21752

Murdoch's views on how to make money on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt, or a MySpace share, whichever is smaller.

Baloo said:

I doubt it will change.

I was referring to consumer not corporate. My business uses and pays for advertised clicks via Google. Yum Yum suggested Google might start charging consumers for emails and storing photos etc, services that are currently free. I suggest that they would never do that as these types of free services are what gives them a subscriber base that feeds their charged services targetted at enterprise.

Yeah, I agreed.

Though as a consumer I do pay Google for extra storage and use Picasa as an offsite photo and video backup site.