How did you become a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How did you become a Tiger?

Paultige

Tiger Cub
Jan 13, 2009
Mum wanted me to be Collingscum, Dad wanted me to be Essendon, one Nanna made me wear Geelong stuff when I was at her place and my other Nanna made me wear Footscray.

The babysitter who looked after me one day a month is a RICHMOND MEMBER.

Obviously I saw the light.

How did you come to support The Juggernaut?

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Welcome Pauly.

I'm a bit like you. Dad played for Melbourne but supports Collingwood. Mum supported South Melbourne, sister supported Melbourne and brother supported Essendon. Brother in law supported North and always bought me their gear when I was little. By year 2 I was a lifelong Tiger supporter because every kid in my class went for them.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Welcome to PRE Paul :)

I just followed my dear Mum who is a Tiger, and my daughter has carried on the tradition and is a Tiger too.

My Dad barracks for Footascray, my sister the Hawks, my brothers the Pies, Cats and Hawks.

My husband barracked for Carlton but I converted him to Tigerland early in the piece. My sons barrack for the Hawks and the Roos.

A crazy mixed up footy family but it makes for good stirring and debate.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Welcome to PRE PT.

I spent my early years growing up in NSW and QLD, but I had a Victorian grandfather who was a hell bent Tiger supporter and he drilled it into me from a young age (and from afar as well!). I think it had something to do with the fact that I scored an icecream or a lolly whenever I was asked which team I went for and I answered correctly. My father was also a Tigers man, which is interesting becaue he was an Italian migrant who never lived in Victoria. We always claim he was a Tigers supporter to win the blessing of his father in law in marrying Mum.

Growing up in NSW and QLD wasn't easy for a young Tigers supporter. My mother still has histerics when she recalls finding out when I was about 7 years old that I thought Richmond was a Rugby League team.

My mother is a Cats fan, and my brother now sort of follows Brisbane after being Fitzroy man. I still rmember how devastated he was when they were killed off by the AFL. One of the most appalling blights on the history of the game.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Born in Richmond, in a tiger premiership year, in the year of the tiger, all family richmond, closest mates richmond. It was always gonna be richmond.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If you lived in Melbourne and woke up to life as a 6 year old in 1973 & 1974, who else would you barrack for? ;D

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Went to school in Chadstone which was a Tiger area. Had Jim Jess and Barry Rowlings come out for a footy clinic in grade prep. From there i was hooked...

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
rosy23 said:
Welcome to PRE Paul :)

I just followed my dear Mum who is a Tiger, and my daughter has carried on the tradition and is a Tiger too.

My Dad barracks for Footascray, my sister the Hawks, my brothers the Pies, Cats and Hawks.

My husband barracked for Carlton but I converted him to Tigerland early in the piece. My sons barrack for the Hawks and the Roos.

A crazy mixed up footy family but it makes for good stirring and debate.
Does your husband hold a grudge because you converted him Rosy? How much success has he missed out on as a result?? :hihi

Jezza81

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 9, 2008
My old man is a tigers supporter so ever since i can remember i'v been a tiger, born and bred, bleed yellow and black

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Jezza81 said:
My old man is a tigers supporter so ever since i can remember i'v been a tiger, born and bred, bleed yellow and black

Same. Both parents and brother. And the fact that I was a bruised, jaundiced baby. :hihi

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I woke up one day and found out 2 things.
1. I had a belly button
2. I loved Richmond
Not sure of the relevance, but it just happened ;D

ozmadman

Thanks Cogs
Jun 2, 2007
My parents had NO interest in sport. I started school and discovered that football existed. Some kids said I should go for collingwood, others fitzroy, and some richmond. The following weekend richmond won. So they looked good. A couple of years later they won the 1980 premiership. Have never changed and hate collingwood passionately. Imagine if collingwood had won that weekend and not richmond. I can't bear thinking about that!

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
My Dads family all went for Richmond so there was a lot a tigertalk during the mid to late 70's but the time i was four in '77 I was a tiger for life.
While my brothers showed only a passing interest in footy,i beacame a huge fan going to most games at the 'G or Waverley during the 80's and early 90's with my Dad and the other grounds usually by myself.
My Mum barracked for the Blues so there was always that friendly rivalry at home.

premiers2011

Eat 'em Alive!!
Oct 22, 2007
I've never known anything else. My parents grew up in Burnley and Richmond.
As far back as I can remember I've been a Tiger supporter. My whole family, nearly all my relatives are all Tigers. I think at last count we have 20 or so members in the family. a few drop off the top end and a few come on as the years progress.
I was around for the glory years which makes supporting them a bit easier, I've got some great memories of camping out on the banana longes at Punt Road oval for finals tickets in the 70's but I feel for the young ones we've brain washed in the last 20 or so years ;D

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
Can't remember.......but if only the Tardis was real, I would use it no matter how much it cost

lockie15

Tiger Cub
Aug 28, 2007
There was no escaping richmond for me. whole family are die hards. although a few neighbours tried to get me onto essendon. dad quickly put a stop to it by saying if that happened i had to leave home. being 4 at the time, i thought better of it. 17 years and 2 finals apperances later...... still glad to be a tiger member.

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
Parents both born and bred Richmond. Father played at Richmond from 62 - 65 i believe it was. He still cant understand why he was dropped in favour of Clay, Barrett, Bourke etc. :eek:
Born in 77 and started going not long after im sure. I do know i was at 1980 GF. Until we moved to Qld in 88 i think i saw every Richmond game in Vic and NSW. Pretty sure i didnt have a lot of say in the matter.