How did you become a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How did you become a Tiger?

Kahuna

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2008
Perth
As a Perth boy I followed the Perth Demons in the WAFL. When Robert Wiley transerred across to the Tiges in 1979 (I was 8) I became a Richmond supporter. Being in WA most of my family follows West Coast and a couple Fremantle, but I have my 2 y/o daughter supporting the Yellow and Black.

RfC77

Ju-87 : The original TANK buster
Jun 23, 2004
Narre Warren
My family have all been tigers dating back to the early 1920s and now in the 4th generation -> there is no arguing the point. Last year i converted 2 ex-hawthorn supporters into fanatical tiger members and to this day, they have no regrets! ;D

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Grew up in Canberra where we obviously never had an aligned local VFL side but my Grandmother (still kicking at 94) lived in Richmond and she'd take me to games at the G every time I went to visit.
We used to win all the time & I thought life as a Tigers fan was the greatest thing on earth.
Used to wear Tiger footy jumpers and duffle coats all the time to school as a youngster even if my mates didn't.

My old man is a Blues supporter believe it or not but to his credit he always let me make the choice as to who I wanted to support.
Now we just enjoy the banter by phone as to who's club's doing best. Can't say I'm letting my own boy make his mind up though. He's going to be brainwashed Y&B, we're going to need all the future supporters we can get! ;D

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
We used to win all the time & I thought life as a Tigers fan was the greatest thing on earth.

Wow, didn't you get hit by a sledge hammer later in life mate? :hihi

elliot

look to the western sky
Nov 21, 2006
Always wondered , parents swans and bombers..
earliest memory was 79(i think) at a richmond essendon game at waverly playing on the members stand ramp and my dad bought me a tigers key ring..
We didn't make the finals that year so can't say i was a bandwagoner at least..

I remember in 80 my dad took me to three games essendon(loss) melbourne(win) and geelong(loss , the game michael turner cut us up)
So even in a premiership year saw us lose more than win...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Dyer Disciple said:
Wow, didn't you get hit by a sledge hammer later in life mate? :hihi

;D Indeed.
Longing for those days again when we were kings of jungle is the thing that maintains the fire.
Football is great when you're team barely loses. Sadly an entire generation don't know what that feels like.

Massai

Tiger Champion
Mar 27, 2009
My Dad was a Footscray supporter, Mum Essendon. Me, when I went to primary school back in the late 60's, we had a visit from the Captain of Richmond Roger Dean, who kindly left us some RFC season tickets for games. Me, I jumped at it and even if I was only 7 at the time, I got to go and see the Tigers play pretty much for nothing the next 2 years, so I was hooked.

Of course, as I got older it helped considerably that the Tigers were winning flags and were feared by all and sundry in the VFL.

Pity the Tigers don't do the same thing today, go around to some of the schools and hand out a few season's tickets for the kids to go along to the football. Worked for me and a few of my then school chums, we're all Tigers thru and thru.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I have been a tigers supporter as long as i can remember.

It all started way back when my dad was alive he use to take me to watch soccer. The side that dad use to follow had the colours coincidently (yellow/black). The clours attracted me and i was hooked.

It also helped that we lived in Richmond and went to Richmond Primary School.

Dad when he first came to Australia was taken by a friend to watch Collingwood play St Kilda in the '66 Grand Final. They lost by a kick and dad was hooked.

Fast forward to 1980. Collingwood vs. Richmond and we are absoutely giving them a belting. I am stiring dad and he is chasing me around the house. We end up thrashing them and posting a then record margin.

Dad passed away in 1989.

Collingwood won the flag the following year. He never got to see them win one !

For us suffering supporters , we havent won one since.

Waiting (still)

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009
came to Australia when I was 10 in 95, always loved sports got into afl straight away. My cousin already lived here and followed essendon but I didnt want to follow him. he had a poster with all the teams captains on his wall. i had seen the mcg in my first few weeks here and had been to richmond, plus i liked the name 'tigers'.i thought the blues and bombers and magpies were really stupid names lol it was down to the lions and tigers...and tigers won out :)

schuey2003

I'm a llama!
Jul 26, 2003
Dad is St kilda, Mum is Kanagaroos, Brother is Carlton. Dad took us into a sports store when I was about 7 and told my brother and I to choose a football jumper. Liked the colors and have stuck ever since.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
brothers and most of family were essendon,i grew up in essendon. stepfather was carlton (got instant dislike for the blues) i was a roos until when i was about 7-8 mate introduced me to the tigers and have stuck ever since.. Over 30 years now.. Man i'm getting old :'(

Son of Francis

Tiger Rookie
Jun 5, 2010
Back in '62 (I was 5) my dad took me to the local youth group where some Richmond players were visiting (including Neville Crowe). I must've been impressed, I've been a Richmond supporter since. I became the family heretic- the rest were Carlton supporters. After all these years I'm still passionate. Go tiges!

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Was on holiday in Australia in september in 1980 as a teenager ,

Watched my first ever game of aussie rules on TV , which happened to be the grand final ,

Before the game I picked Richmond, because I thought a tiger seemed alot cooler than a magpie ,

They became my team that day .

Chocco

All heart
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
My dad bought a yellow with black racing stripes G-Pac Torana back in 1976, the whole family jumped onto the Tigers from that day on.

nevefan

Tiger Cub
Nov 11, 2005
Townsville
I played for the North Cairns tigers when I was kid. Jumper and mascot the same as Richmond.
It was back in the late 70's early 80's, before the dark times ...

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Chocco said:
My dad bought a yellow with black racing stripes G-Pac Torana back in 1976, the whole family jumped onto the Tigers from that day on.

That is the "Aussiest" thing I've heard in ages - great work !!

I don't remember when or why I became a Tiger, been one as long as I can remember.

My eldest son (just turned 9) has been a member since he was 12 hours old. My youngest son (just turned 5) has been a member since hes was 36 hours old. Be hard for them to forget why they became a Tiger. Seemed a bit weird that a then 8 year old (a couple of months ago) was a Silver Member.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Chocco said:

Does Dad still have the Torana?

Big Cat Lover

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2008
Was a passionate Fitzroy supporter (hence the username) until they were killed off. Couldn't possibly have followed Brisbane (basically a takeover and losing the name Fitzroy was it for me) and didn't follow anyone for a couple of years until I started attending games with some Richmond mates. I wanted to support an inner city club that was unlikely to die or move. Even though Brisbane won those flags I never felt any association with it or joy from it.