How did you become a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How did you become a Tiger?

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Moved down from Sydney in the 1990s and found the hard way that you need to support a club if you live in Melbourne and want to join conversations in footy season.

Took a bit of time to choose. Went to a few games looking for a that club felt right. I grew-up in Bondi, so was a Roosters supporter in Sydney, but was never happy with it's reputation as having the best team money could buy and benig a silver tail club. Wanted a passionate, honest club with deep roots, not glitzy. Wanted something inner city, and that played at the G. Didn't want a club that was successful at the time - too much like bandwagon jumping.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
Didn't have a choice.
Both sets of grandparents Tigers.
Dad and his 2 brothers Tigers.

B1

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Big Cat Lover said:
Was a passionate Fitzroy supporter (hence the username) until they were killed off. Couldn't possibly have followed Brisbane (basically a takeover and losing the name Fitzroy was it for me) and didn't follow anyone for a couple of years until I started attending games with some Richmond mates. I wanted to support an inner city club that was unlikely to die or move. Even though Brisbane won those flags I never felt any association with it or joy from it.

Good for you BC. Glad you found another club to support, regardless of whether it was us or someone else.

My brother was a very passionate Fitzroy man. Bit of a family black sheep because of it, but anyway. When Fitzroy went, he passion for the game died. Terrible to see. He just doesn't get into footy anymore, at any level.

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
sure Chiang .......I was 8 years old

I was gonna follow the bombers but i loved listening to the footy whilst milking cows with my father on a farm in Allansford...and I have been an unwavering supporter and a member nowadays ...Unfortunately my father passed away two months ago but he was reunited with my mum up here in Hervey Bay.....and as he was being laid to rest with here i had the Richmond Football Club theme song belting out to put an exclamation mark on his life and his passion for the yellow and black ! And 3 years ago the Coach and the players made dad feel so special as a special guest and it was Richo and Wallace that led the other players ! I will never forget that.....and I am still as full of pride for the club ! They have given me precious moments and im sure that they will give us some more...... :hearton :clap :hihi ;D

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Dad was a tiger man, mum wasn't a footy fan but goes for the tigers because she was married into it.

Me, my brother and sister are all tigers and my 2 year old daughter is a 3rd year tiger member.

Dad used to milk cows and would come home on Saturday and we'd ask him if Richmond had won and 9 times out of 10 we hadn't, but on the rare occasion we did he'd tell us everyone who had played well and who kicked all the goals.

I'm very proud of my daughter, after the Swans game on the weekend, she did a fist pump and said 'Go Tigers'.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Saw them play a re season game at West PArk at Burnie in the mid 60's.
Then saw them play a midweek game at Lakeside oval game in 1967 I think. Lost but barracked for them from then.

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
Family Tradition on my fathers side, my paternal grandparents were Richmond born and bred, my father was born at the Epworth Hospital in Richmond. I used to wear number 17 Barry Richardson when I was in Primary School.

No choice.

My family came from Richmond. My nana was a lovely, placid, good natured lady, but mention Collingwood and she'd go dark!!! She hated them! She lived in Docker st and used to frequent Jack Dyers milk bar. And, reading through some family memoirs, her cousin mentions how his father and his brother, my great-grandfather, used to go to see Richmond play port Melbourne in the VFA and how dangerous the trip out there was!

I had no choice- but i'm glad it was the choice made for me!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I went close to being a Geelong supporter as one of my uncle's was a champion of the club in the 60's before retiring at about the age of 26.

My older brothers were Geelong supporters but young enough to be swayed! We moved from the Mid Murray (Tooleybuc) region in 1970 to a cherry orchard in Wandin (outer east of Melb). This is where fate intervenes! In those days your bread was delivered, and in this case it was delivered by a fanatical Tiger supporter. He swung my brothers, and when i was old enough to understand what footy was, they made sure i was a Tiger. My oldest brother and dad stayed with the cats. Oddly enough, my mum (sister of the uncle) was a Carlton fan as she loved Jezza!

Thankfully the George Harris fiasco at Carlton saw Jezza leave the Blues, and mum jumped on the Tiger band wagon and has been a very passionate Tiger ever since - luckily for her, because she wouldn't get to the footy these days otherwise!

Incidentally, we still know the bread delivery man and last year i asked him how he came to follow the Tigers. He said when his family first came to Australia, he made friends with two kids, one a Blue, the other a Demon so they said "you can be a Tiger"! That was early 50's so lean times for the Tigers. He mentioned thinking as he grew up, "it would be nice to barrack for one of these successful sides like Melbourne" but thankfully he stuck fat or i'd probably be a supporter of an irrelevant club, and spend my time sitting in the MGC members in a jacket with cauldroy elbow patches. Praise the lord he stuck with the Tigers!

Tommo37

Tiger Superstar
Aug 16, 2011
Grade 1 mid 1980 show and tell.
I didnt know what to say or show until a kid got up before me and said he went to the footy on the weekend. The teacher then asked him who he barracked for and he said Richmond. It came to my turn and i said exactly what he said. so i went from a Melbourne supporter (dads team) to a Richmond supporter by telling a fib.

I then went home and told dad i barracked for Richmond.

Even though i could of barracked for any other team im glad that kid said Richmond because if i had my time again i would not change a thing.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Had no choice in the matter really - would have been disowned by my father if I chose to follow another team.

Main thing is I'm happy to be here so its all good.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tommo37 said:
I didnt know what to say or show until a kid got up before me and said he went to the footy on the weekend. The teacher then asked him who he barracked for and he said Richmond. It came to my turn and i said exactly what he said. so i went from a Melbourne supporter (dads team) to a Richmond supporter by telling a fib.

That's a very cute story Tommo.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Tommo37 said:
im just glad the kid didnt say carlton or collwood.

Or that he was gay! I think your dad might have passed out. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay of course (i learned that fron Seinfeld)

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I’m the youngest in my family. And one older brother had a Richmond poster and the other a Carlton poster. I would have been 4 or 5 and I just did not relate to being a blue. I did want to be a Tiger however and the rest is history.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I grew up with an extended family of Tigers including a couple who were at the 1920 and 1921 Grand finals. The love of the Tigers was matched by the hatred of Collingwood. Jack Dyer was the most revered name in our household when i was a boy and I grew up in the time of great success for the Tigers.
My great Uncle could recite the premiership teams off by heart . I still remember him going through the 1932 team

Backs- Bolger Sheahan O'Neill ;D

I used to sit on the shoulders of various relatives at Punt Road Oval evidently as a really small kid but i have only hazy memories of that but I'm told I loved Paddy Guinane. Many in the extended family still go to the Footy every week together. Now into our 5th generation of Richmond supporters.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Big Cat Lover said:
Was a passionate Fitzroy supporter (hence the username) until they were killed off. Couldn't possibly have followed Brisbane (basically a takeover and losing the name Fitzroy was it for me) and didn't follow anyone for a couple of years until I started attending games with some Richmond mates. I wanted to support an inner city club that was unlikely to die or move. Even though Brisbane won those flags I never felt any association with it or joy from it.

…met a Fitzroy man a few years back – also said he could never stomach Brisbane or its success. He was on his way to watch Fitzroy play in some local league. Never attended another vfl/afl game again after the roys got shafted.

I always had a soft spot for Fitzroy – liked their players, its pubs, the flavour of its streets and my favourite saying of all time ‘ #%@! me dead in north Fitzroy’ remains my fav.

As a child I didn’t know there was a choice when it came to following a footy team. For me it was and remains something you are born into. No choice offered no alternative accepted. Pure fascism.
Hopefully my son will indoctrinate his kids (if he has any) just as well.