Ian Campbell has resigned | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ian Campbell has resigned

Clinton Casey better get things back on track.

The only bloke I really want at RFC at board level is Miller-the rest can have a one way ticket to the zoo.

Bloody hell Richmond - just when you think it can't get any worse,they pull another one out.

Looks like they are trying to get Pagan-odear pass me some icy beer and that 80' video.

Sheeds has us by the gonads too.

TigersGoddess said:
One senior Richmond official said Campbell's decision to go did not come as a surprise. "(Campbell was lacking) in (getting) runs on the board, rolling his sleeves up.

Well "senior official" if you're willing to comment on Ian why not put your name to it. Otherwise it's severely lacking in credibility. :mad:

Larrikin said:
David C, you speak about losing the 100-150k per year, I don't follow.  Yes that would be lost from the round 1 game if the gate money was split, but wasn't the deal that both games played between the teams be split?

So basically anything that is "lost" in the round 1 game, would pretty much be gained in the Round 18 match.

I think it was very short sited for Richmond to demand all the gate in the Round 1 clash.  If a deal was made to share all gate earnings, it should stick. 

Although having said that, Richmond's reasons, for wanting all the gate was due to cash flow problems.  In the first 4 rounds, only the Round 1 clash was a Richmond home game, so the need for revenue to pay players would have been the number one concern.  Given this there should have been better ways of dealing with Collingwood regarding this.  Richmond should have first requested that they wanted the gate money, stated the cash flow reason as well as the fact that Richmond will not have a home game till round 5.  But ultimately if Collingwood would not agree to change, then Richmond should have to lump it, and stick with the agreement.   You don't want to undo the hard work that went into getting the first game of the year clash.  This is a huge deal, that is still in its infancy.

That was my impression of how the gate sharing worked as well Larrikin. Maybe we're wrong, but I thought that the 2 game arrangment was the process by which there was an equitable distribution of the gate receipts.

And secondly, the media (again, possibly wrong) promoted that the real reason RFC reneged on the arrangement was that they had severe cash flow difficulties early in the year and simply needed the money there and then and were forced to pull out.

Again, there are several other gate sharing arrangments between clubs where there is a reasonable difference in membership numbers yet they continue with their agreements.

I think David C is saying that gare sharing arrangements are bad for the team with the lower membership base.

When Richmond is the home team, you get to keep the revenue of 30,000 paying Collingwood supporters but when Collingwood is the home team, Collingwood would get to keep the revenue of only 15,000 Richmond supporters.

Hence, if you share, you only get the revenue of 22,500 (half of 45,000) supporters rather than 30,000, hence the forecast $100-$150 k difference. (30,000 - 22,500)

The critisism is that if the wheel ever turns and Richmond become a power, then no one will want to do a sharing deal with us. The fact is though, that we will never be stronger in membership numbers than Collingwood so the decision to end the deal is, as David C quite rightly points out, a good one - despite the negative publicity it received.

One of two things has happened here - Either :

- Campbell is being used as a scapegoat for an inept administration, or,

- If he wasn't up to the job, the administration that appointed him was inept.

Either way, the buck stops with Casey.

Viva la revolution !

I believe that this all dates back to the inept administration that knifed Northey at the end of '95, just when we were turning the corner on field. We have resembled nothing but a rabble since then.

Geeze that article by Denham is alot to take in :eek:

I can't help feeling as FWOY said that if we had've done the sensible thing and gave Frawley the RRR's at the end 2002 instead of trying to prove we don't"eat our own" then none of these problems would've happened.

God knows what the Weagles will offer us for *smile* lol, pick 78 or something.It'll be good to be paying 1/2 the salary of another goose next year too. ::)

Trading Gaspar will be the best thing the club can do, regardless of how much we are paying him next year. he adds no value to the team and is spreading the cancer to the young guys - get rid of him tigers and don't play him anymore this year.

Stability is important but not when you have Krusty the clown running the show.

Where's Beck in all these talks of sackings ?

Geeeez that bloke gets away with murder. I'd love to have his job - zero accountability !!

Harry said:
Where's Beck in all these talks of sackings ?

Geeeez that bloke gets away with murder.  I'd love to have his job - zero accountability !!

Here Here

Redford said:
I'm waiting for Hugo 'The Boss' to give us his opinion on this.

He knows what's been going on and can give us the inside story I'm sure.

OK Rednuts, here we go, I can’t believe this imposter actually lasted 12 months!!!
I laughed when I read he’s going at the end of the week, the club has finally realised this guy had no idea and didn’t want to put up with him until season’s end.

Campbell was the wrong person for the job. Sure he had an impressive business background in the US, but the fact is he has been out of Australia for nearly 20 years and has not got a clue about football and the culture of football clubs. . He had no presence in the media and was not a club spokesman as a good CEO should be. The reason – he had no idea!!! At the end of the day he was a smooth talking Yank, who promised the world and delivered jack. He was too worried about making Punt Rd Oval into a rock concert venue then looking at the real picture, what a joke!!!

His decision (and it was his decision) to get rid of the marketing department is one of the main reasons the club has dire financial problems now . I was very, very critical of the club on this site when this occurred. Marketing depts of football clubs is the area that generates the most revenue and rather then increasing staff numbers (like other clubs have) to hopefully be in a position to attract more sponsors, Campbell got rid of this area and outsourced it. BIG MISTAKE and we’re paying for it now.

I could go on about other issues but won’t, the best thing for the club is that he is now gone.

Once again Corn Chips must be held accountable for taking this imposter on. The club has a multi million dollar debt, has had 3 Directors resign during the season, has now lost a CEO, has a very average list of players on the field, has a coach who’s been there for 5 years with poor results, yet people are still supporting this bloke, He’s the main problem, get rid of this clown NOW, please!! Don’t talk to me about stability, we are anything but stable (as has been seen by the multiple resignations). Putting the right people in the jobs in the first place will give us stability.

More heads will roll in the near future so stay tuned. Bring it on!!!.

The Boss said:
Redford said:
Once again Corn Chips must be held accountable for taking this imposter on. The club has a multi million dollar debt, has had 3 Directors resign during the season, has now lost a CEO, has  a very average list of players on the field, has a coach who’s been there for 5 years with poor results, yet people are still supporting this bloke, He’s the main problem, get rid of this clown NOW, please!!

Agreed Boss. Casey has taken the club backwards in a major way over the past 5 years. Clearly the club is in worst shape both on and off the field from when he took over. How on earth can we have faith in him to take the club forwards in the near future when all he has done so far is take us backwards?

Personally I wouldn't be doing any deals with any particular club for Gaspar just yet.
This is Gaspar's first year recovery after major knee surgery, he has done very well to come thus far so quickly. As the season progresses his knee will get stronger, he will get more confident on it, and I'm sure that next year he will be a better player.
Now many of you will know that I am an advocate for trading Gaspar, I was shocked at his $400K contract which overrated him, and we should have traded him then.
But I would be furious if we were made the laughing stock of the AFL again and traded him to Westcoast for a song. There are plenty of teams out there needing a ready made FB, including ourselves.
I certainly want to trade him but I want to get his full worth.

Boss, hear what you are saying, but surely even Bozo the Clown would have been given 12 months in a CEO job before coming under real pressure. If, as has obviously been the case, he's turned out to be out of his depth, then the club should be applauded for taking the tough decision to get rid of him?
Sure, they take responsibilty for employing him in the first place, no argument there, but at least they've taken action as soon as practicable.
Secondly - what activities were actually outsourced? As I understood it at the time it was the marketing and staging of club events (eg Jack Dyer Medal night, club functions etc), not sponsorship activities. Ian Campbell actually did a pretty good job with top end sponsorship and membership - once again I understand that mid-range sponsorship has been the big problem, but that would always be difficult to attract after two poor seasons, would it not?

Unfortunately for us, the members and supporters, I fear another shambolic off season where we are forced to appoint a fourth choice coach in the midst of board level upheaval and feral criticism from irate supporters. Line up for the merry-go-round folks, we're going around again.

Phantom said:
But I would be furious if we were made the laughing stock of the AFL again and traded him to Westcoast for a song.

'Bubble Boy' *smile* with all his allergies would not want to play for a side that had to travel 3-4 hours on a plane every other week. I doubt that he would go to the Eagles, the preference would be to play for another Vic team.

With regards to the travel though, we have gone interstate 3 of the last 4 games ???

Perhaps the scariest part of all of this is our TAC sponsorship expires at the end of the year. I wonder what they (or any other potential major sponsor) think of all this ?

Dean3 said:
Boss, hear what you are saying, but surely even Bozo the Clown would have been given 12 months in a CEO job before coming under real pressure. If, as has obviously been the case, he's turned out to be out of his depth, then the club should be applauded for taking the tough decision to get rid of him?
Sure, they take responsibilty for employing him in the first place, no argument there, but at least they've taken action as soon as practicable.
Secondly - what activities were actually outsourced? As I understood it at the time it was the marketing and staging of club events (eg Jack Dyer Medal night, club functions etc), not sponsorship activities. Ian Campbell actually did a pretty good job with top end sponsorship and membership - once again I understand that mid-range sponsorship has been the big problem, but that would always be difficult to attract after two poor seasons, would it not?

Unfortunately for us, the members and supporters, I fear another shambolic off season where we are forced to appoint a fourth choice coach in the midst of board level upheaval and feral criticism from irate supporters. Line up for the merry-go-round folks, we're going around again.

Dean,

As it turns out Bozo The Clown would have done a better job. At the end of the day Deano the club had no choice to get rid of him because in his first 12 months this bloke's business decisions have been so destructive to the club, we couldn't let it go any longer. I guarntee you this - on PRE we will be talking about Ian Campbell for a long time when his other financial stuff ups are reported. So yeah, well done to the club on getting rid of him now, but why the hell was he there in the first place?

Sponsorship and Marketing was definately outsourced Deano together with Events as you mentioned. MId range sponsorship is actually easier to find then major sponsors. We've managed to attract a new coaches sponsor in Laguna. Gee we had to work hard for that one didn't we, when our esteemed President is involved in the company.

It worries me when people ring talkback radio and say that they have rung the club about sponsorship and no one returns calls. I have also been told this first hand. A friend has sponsored the club for the last 5 years and chips in a fair bit of $$ thru corporate dining etc. Guess what - no one called him at the start of this season to renew so he rang the club. No return phone calls so our loss is Essendon's gain.

It worries me that there are very few sponsors signs at our home games (have a look around at the North game next week). For a club our size, our corporate revenue should not be the equivalent of the Bulldogs and Melbourne.Why is this happening - because Campbell thought it would be a good idea to outsource these areas. This was one of the few areas that actually exceeded there budget in previous years. We will pay for this for a long time that's for sure.

Deano, it hurts me to say this, but our club is in a shocking state and our administration is the laughing stock of the AFL. If we have to "go round the merry go round" so be it. Rather then patching thngs up as we have tried to do unsuccessfully on numeorus occasions in the past, strip the place down to its bare bones and start again.

You paint a pretty grim picture the Boss. :'(

I just hope we don't have to go cap in hand to the AFL like North and the Dogs have. Our list is bad enough without having to limit our salary cap. :(

The Boss said:
I could go on about other issues but won’t, the best thing for the club is that he is now gone.

I'm interested in these boss. tell more please if possible.