Ian Campbell has resigned | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ian Campbell has resigned

Harry said:
Where's Beck in all these talks of sackings ?

Geeeez that bloke gets away with murder.  I'd love to have his job - zero accountability !!

Triple here here here...........if the list was stronger, we'd be winning.
If we were winning we would have higher membership,more corparate $ and more clout with the AFL.
If we recruited properly over the last 8 years we may be in that position.
We haven't.
We have recruited Diabolically........see ya Greg :mad:

Hartbalme said:
Perhaps the scariest part of all of this is our TAC sponsorship expires at the end of the year. I wonder what they (or any other potential major sponsor) think of all this ?

We'll we are, after all, a Major accident waiting to happen, so its good product identification id say.

jb03 said:
The Boss said:
I could go on about other issues but won’t, the best thing for the club is that he is now gone.

I'm interested in these boss.  tell more please if possible.

I think I've said enough Jim Boogey 03. I'm sure we'll all here more thru the media in the next few weeks.

Anyway, I've got a meeting to go to. Chat later.

And evo, I think majking a loss of 2 million is grim. The sooner the winds of change come thru the better

struggletown3121 said:
Hartbalme said:
Perhaps the scariest part of all of this is our TAC sponsorship expires at the end of the year. I wonder what they (or any other potential major sponsor) think of all this ?

Well, corn chips did actually meet with them & Motorola yesterday. Hmm, wonder if he is starting to panic & thought he should *smile* to them about the situation as he has been to the members?

So many issues for one football club over so many years is amazing. We have so many supporters crying out for something to cheer for it breaks your heart.
1. We don't have anyone deperate to step up for Richmond and stop this crap happening. We need to start seeing changes in this area. Old players with knowledge of the game and other with business acumen.
2. The same on field attributes we require off field as well. Strength, heart, aggressiveness and we will give our all until there is nothing left week in week out. Everyone needs a 'Jack Dyer' attitude or they don't belong at Richmond.
3. If Danny's not the man to coach they should look at Gary Lyon who should be given a go ! What's to lose 9th spot? He can build on field and has a profile to help on field.
4. There are players from last year that we should have moved on to pick up others. I knew about Aaron Davey all last year ! We could have retired a Matthew Rogers, moved on Pettifer, Houlihan, Hilton etc for cap room. The recruiters missed an obvious one. People knew how quick Davey was all last year if you actually watched VFL football.
5. Excuses - Richmond supporters are tired off it we want people to stand up and say when people are not performing - that we can handle. Excuses just infuriate you more !
6. A captain can not possibly say he doesn't know where we went wrong he must know a few areas and should be tough enough to say so ! Develop a thick Tiger skin fellas.
7. 43 possesions in a 78 point thumping means nothing. 12 quality possesions in a win does !
8. I would be running through every opposition player to get to the ball if I played for this great club.
9. If I performed this way consistently I would be unemployed and not making 100K +.
10. C'mon Tigers come out fighting, show us something ! The old boys now departed would not stand for a lack of fight.

The Boss said:
It worries me when people ring talkback radio and say that they have rung the club about sponsorship and no one returns calls. I have also been told this first hand. A friend has sponsored the club for the last 5 years and chips in a fair bit of $$ thru corporate dining etc. Guess what - no one called him at the start of this season to renew so he rang the club. No return phone calls so our loss is Essendon's gain.

I have to agree with you Boss, as I posted earlier this week on another thread, I had a business client who works for a major bank tell me that he contacted every club at the start of the season to see who he could arrange some sponsorship with & the only club that called him back were the Kangaroos & Essendon, so he took out sponsorhip with both.
I am usually positive about the club but when I read the other day that we were going to make a possible $2million loss I thought back to my conversation with this client & thought what a disgrace it was that they can't even return a phone call & it sounds like he wasn't the only one.

The Boss said:
OK Rednuts, here we go, I can’t believe this imposter actually lasted 12 months!!!
I laughed when I read he’s going at the end of the week, the club has finally realised this guy had no idea and didn’t want to put up with him until season’s end.

Campbell was the wrong person for the job. Sure he had an impressive business background in the US, but the fact is he has been out of Australia for nearly 20 years and has not got a clue about football and the culture of football clubs. . He had no presence in the media and was not a club spokesman as a good CEO should be. The reason – he had no idea!!!

How could anybody be a "club spokesman" with Clinton Casey around?

And as far as "presence in the media" goes, name me the other 15 AFL CEO's?

At the end of the day he was a smooth talking Yank, who promised the world and delivered jack. He was too worried about making Punt Rd Oval into a rock concert venue then looking at the real picture, what a joke!!!

As distinct from his predecessor (an ex-VFL player) who did so much better?

At the end of the day he probably saw an environment that wouldn't allow the things that needed to be done actually get done, and decided to do the honest thing and get out - rather than just hang around "going through the motions" like so many others.

His decision (and it was his decision) to get rid of the marketing department is one of the main reasons the club has dire financial problems now . I was very, very critical of the club on this site when this occurred. Marketing depts of football clubs is the area that generates the most revenue and rather then increasing staff numbers (like other clubs have) to hopefully be in a position to attract more sponsors, Campbell got rid of this area and outsourced it. BIG MISTAKE and we’re paying for it now.

We *had* extra staff in that area, we had been increasing resources there steadily for years but there was little (if any) return. Have a look at last year's financials if you don't believe me, we were no worse off outsourcing the events management of the club because other people were still there doing the corporate stuff.

I could go on about other issues but won’t, the best thing for the club is that he is now gone.

Once again Corn Chips must be held accountable for taking this imposter on. The club has a multi million dollar debt, has had 3 Directors resign during the season, has now lost a CEO, has  a very average list of players on the field, has a coach who’s been there for 5 years with poor results, yet people are still supporting this bloke, He’s the main problem, get rid of this clown NOW, please!! Don’t talk to me about stability, we are anything but stable (as has been seen by the multiple resignations). Putting the right people in the jobs in the first place will give us stability.

More heads will roll in the near future so stay tuned. Bring it on!!!.

It’s unfair that Campbell is taking the full brunt of this. For argument sake let’s say that all that has been mentioned was Campbell’s idea. But for the idea to be carried out doesn’t it have to be approved by the board if not at least Casey himself. Surely he wasn’t given permission to do what ever he liked with out approval. If so, then no wonder the club is struggling.
For Casey to lay the blame at only Campbell is a sad state of affairs. Him and the board have to be also accountable for this.
What comes around goes around Mr. Casey. I’m sure you’ll get what’s coming at the next election.
::)

David, has anyone approached you about possibly joining a ticket to run again? It is time for change & you seem to have your head screwed on a little straighter than what seems to be out there currently.

David,

Here’s a couple of CEOs who are the best in the business who have a presence in the media;

Brian Cook
Greg Swann
Peter Jackson
Even Brian Waldron these days is appearing all over the place.

Good point you make about Casey and his dictatorial presence.
Nevertheless, I can only recall Ian Campbell being interviewed twice. Once when he was pointed and another when he was talking crap about Punt Rd being a rock venue and the Bridge Rd Traders initiatives.

In relation to your second point; Campbell talked the talk but didn’t walk the walk, Simple as that. I’m not sure why you’re comparing him to Brayshaw?

In relation to outsourcing Sponsorship and marketing. Let’s have a look at the end of the year our figures in this area and compare them to last season. Enough said.

The Boss said:
David,

Here’s a couple of CEOs who are the best in the business who have a presence in the media;

Brian Cook
Greg Swann
Peter Jackson
Even Brian Waldron these days is appearing all over the place.

Good point you make about Casey and his dictatorial presence.
Nevertheless, I can only recall Ian Campbell being interviewed twice. Once when he was pointed and another when he was talking crap about Punt Rd being a rock venue and the Bridge Rd Traders initiatives. 

In relation to your second point; Campbell talked the talk but didn’t walk the walk, Simple as that. I’m not sure why you’re comparing him to Brayshaw?

In relation to outsourcing Sponsorship and marketing. Let’s have a look at the end of the year our figures in this area and compare them to last season. Enough said.

Well, we sill have to wait until the end of the year to see the figures, it will be interesting to see if the downward trend line from previous years changed.

As to the other CEO's, I can't recall seeing any of them in the media recently - the same as ours!

Yes Ian Campbell's main "problem" was a lot of talk with little results (so far) in most areas, but one area where he first listened and did produce the results was in Memberships.

When Ian Campbell first arrived at the club he was bombarded with Richmond people telling him how bad the club treated its members, poor customer service, poor value, no recognition etc etc.

I'd say he took this on board as a priority issue and as far as I can see, most (if not all) Richmond people were delighted with the way things improved this year in that area.

I also didn't hear too many people complaining when we announced big a sponsorship deal with Motorola late last year.

If people are going to blame him for things that didn't happen, or went wrong, then at least be balanced and give him some credit for things that did work out.

I had a lot of sympathy for him (or anyone) being in the position of having duds above him as well as duds below him. I'd say the "Dud factor" at Punt Road was just too great for one man to overcome.

Some good points there David.

I think the membership package provided this year was the best I've seen.

I wish I was a fly on the wall at Richmond board meetings so I could make more sense of this crap.

Bottom line-successful team on field will attract sponsors willing to sign on to a winning club.

Our reputation in the football world is tarnished.

So if Casey and his band of yes men appoint this Lachlan(?) or Quentin Woods or whatever his name is, then enter into a contract with him.
What happens when we get to vote Casey off?
Are we then stuck with Wood and have to pay out his contract? Or, would there be a clause in it somewhere that allows for him to be let go if a new board gained power??

JB,

I'm a fan already - you must have good taste if you are a zantuck supporter.

I have no idea about the campbell saga, but i will say that i do agree that the treatment of the members was better this year - not brilliant, but better , and someone deserves credit for that.

I thought he was a triple jumper not a long jumper - as mentioned by one respondent.

I think we all know that that we have not hit the bottom yet and the insane clinging to frawley is frightening.

Unfortunately the wrong perosn was appointed and has resigned accordingly.
A good marketing person with poor Management skills.
One minute he reports to the board that we were going to make a profit of $250,000 and then 4 months later at a board meeting reported we were going to lose $2,Million.
Would have love to have been a fly on the wall at in the Boardroom then. Can you imagine the look on the the board members faces :eek:
Next step was the resignations of board members who didnt want to be involved with the backlash that was to come with the loss.
We will here a lot more

Nifti,

we do need a big axe!

However the club ( in its current state as a club with a huge and loyal supporter base ) will not survive another 5 year plan - and this will happen with a total cleanout - let's be strategic - get rid of the coach and president.

I am probably insane but i believe there is enough of a list now to make 1 go at the premiership with richo still playing ( before he retires) - we just need a couple of strategic players and a good coach for next year. Richo could take us to the promised land but he needs help - brown has been the beginning of that help!!! Campbell - it is time to go - or start showing us you are worthy of the jumper number!!!

Campbell was a people person. He looked after the members better than ever before. He gave value for money for your membership and incentives to sign new members. He gave time to those that has something to say.

He created the membership reward system, making members think of losing their status if they don't renew.

But in the end we are a football club. Some people are blind loyal and are members year in - year out. Others rely on winning as an inducement, no matter other rewards are offered.

So, if we aren't winning, and membership numbers drop off, is that Campbell's fault? (He did well after to wretched seasons). I'd say it is the football side of things that have let all other departments down. And no matter at what department the error has occurred, the man that runs the club has to take the blame, not hide behind his employees.

IF Campbell was a peoples person, where has he been for the past 3 months while this footy club goes down the drain ?
No where to been seen, there was no support for the coach during the spitting episode,hasnt faced the media once that I can remember.
I can tell you that the board, whats left of it are filfthy about him. At the end of the day, the CEO runs the club and is paid accordingly.
Board members are NOT PAID one cent.
This ""people person"" has outsourced the marketing dept that generated heaps of corporate sponorship,and guess what?,our corporate sponsors are 50% less this year thanks to Campbell. No wonder hes gone as of today.
Another ""Johnny come lately"" who has gone.
This was also the clown who wanted to turn punt road oval into a rock venue of all things.
Campbell probably earnt $250,000 plus for his "gig"" at punt road.
People mention about membership incentives, guess what, EVERY CLUB has them. just you ask opposition members. How stupid are you members ??
Ask a Hawthorn member what they receive ? Forget about a cap, they get a great scarf and a quality one at that amongst other items
Ask the saints what they get, miles better deal than us.They get discounts holidays around Australia of up to 50%. Yes they get an entertainment  book with bascially everything thrown in.
I wont go on as you might want to join other clubs ;)
At the end of the day,it was a very bad decision to employ Campbell