If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Was Dimma's tour of the fARC and it's system a catalyst for this to be fast tracked. I bet Scotty had to fess upto the fact they *smile* us and asked "what can we do to smooth this over". Dimma said "Get us Taranto and Hopper for nix and we're sweet, if not, we'll out your fARCing sham".
Yep let's go with that.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Taranto 6 and Hopper no Brownlow votes - fantastic bargaining tool for the club. Second rounder at most for both!

Hopper only played 7 games this year and has had 2 bouts of knee surgery, plus he is a salary dump - not worth more than pick 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Hopper only playes 7 games this year and has had 2 bouts of knee surgery, plus he is a salary dump - not worth more than pick 19.
Pretty sure Hopper wanted to leave. B Hill, Taranto and Bruhn would free up at least $1.2mill you would think. If they're replaced with drafts, which seems likely, I don't think it's urgent to also offload Hopper. I don't think 19 will do the job.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
GWS don’t have the bargaining power with their salary cap issues - it’s as simple as that.
We are more than fair to deal with. First round pick and a swap of later or future picks etc and maybe a fringe player involved.

GWS can’t be seen as pushovers so of course they want to be seen to be getting the best deal.

…. Unfortunately for them - reality is those two guys are leaving and they need the deal to get done as much as we want it to.

The deals will get done - I have no doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Pretty sure Hopper wanted to leave. B Hill, Taranto and Bruhn would free up at least $1.2mill you would think. If they're replaced with drafts, which seems likely, I don't think it's urgent to also offload Hopper. I don't think 19 will do the job.
Taranto was talking about how he loved Sydney more than Melbourne and wanted to stay but then they low-balled him and we sure didn't.

They are bringing in Bedford, which will cancel out one of Hill or Bruhn's savings. Add in three or four draftees and remember they're $1.5m over the cap and it's pretty obvious they need Hopper gone too.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Taranto was talking about how he loved Sydney more than Melbourne and wanted to stay but then they low-balled him and we sure didn't.

They are bringing in Bedford, which will cancel out one of Hill or Bruhn's savings. Add in three or four draftees and remember they're $1.5m over the cap and it's pretty obvious they need Hopper gone too.
I guess the question is how much salary cap do they need to offload, $1mill is what I heard. Bedford would likely be a Bruhn salary replacement. New draftees earn appox $100k from memory. 3 delistings and *smile* retired. They have 3 other 21yo's not yet recontracted. At $1.5mill over it would still be an issue but media tend to over-sensationalise and overstate. I just don't think 11 and 19 alone will snag Hopper and Taranto and if we low ball the offer they may just choose to keep him and find another way.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I still can't fathom how we will get this done. I guess we'll soon find out.
Balmey will offer up a few of his iced vovos when he lets them know what the deal is.
They’ll soon know he means it’s an offer they can’t refuse

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I still can't fathom how we will get this done. I guess we'll soon find out.
We will get this done easily. Media will make out the deal is on the verge of collapse every hour until magically both deals get done. Think of it this way, there is no way the club would go to the trouble of offering both T&H 7 yr deals and not be prepared to trade what is necessary to get them in.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
We will get this done easily. Media will make out the deal is on the verge of collapse every hour until magically both deals get done. Think of it this way, there is no way the club would go to the trouble of offering both T&H 7 yr deals and not be prepared to trade what is necessary to get them in.
I'm not questioning the Tigers desire to get it done but to get it done I think it will require more than 11 and 19 which means some creative trading which may rely on other trades getting done. Seems many here think 11 and 19 will do it. Personally I'd be ecstatic if it does but regardless I am very apprehensive about the long-term deal being offered for 2 players of the same and position.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

I think you’re right. Even if he stayed they are in trouble this time next year as he will be a free agent, clubs will coming knocking and they’ll have to give him a nice contract to keep him (which would put more pressure on their salary cap).

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah, it'll involve another pick and/or a player you'd think.
Pick 12, Future 1st & Future 3rd.

GWS will be flush with picks this year.

We get Tarranto, Hopper & 39.

Got to draft with 19, 30 & 39.

Still a very good hand.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008

Still a very good hand.
I like this, but unfortunately I don’t think you’re allowed to trade out more than one future pick (unless you get one back from somewhere). I think we’ll have to give up one of 19 or 30 (probably 19).

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Don't trade out of next years draft use all three of this years first.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I like this, but unfortunately I don’t think you’re allowed to trade out more than one future pick (unless you get one back from somewhere). I think we’ll have to give up one of 19 or 30 (probably 19).
Wasnt aware of that. Well that goes that idea!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Still a very good hand.
If Keeler gets to 19 (and we draft him), that's gold Jerry.

You can do it, as long as you have the chance to get one back you don't actually have to get it before you do the trade. Geelong did it a few years ago.