If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
So after all the carry on and outrage over the Tigers looking to bring in two players from the Giants, Geelong looking at Brodie Grundy and Ollie Henry from the Pies but that’s good trading eh am I missing something ?

I’m over this media agenda drive garbage

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Let's just wait & see what the cost is. 'It's being reported...' doesn't necessarily equate to what will actually go on behind closed doors. No point freaking out about any deals yet. Blair has shown he's a very good operator & we pay a fair price without selling the farm.

Reactions: 8 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Let's just wait & see what the cost is. 'It's being reported...' doesn't necessarily equate to what will actually go on behind closed doors. No point freaking out about any deals yet. Blair has shown he's a very good operator & we pay a fair price without selling the farm.
They've committed, and so have we. We'll get the deal done. No matter what we pay, the media will say we paid unders and that GWS should have demanded we give more.

Reactions: 2 users

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
Have to make some concessions I guess.
The Oz says we will retain Stack.
They might trade Soldo, in a bundle with elite draft picks, delist Aartsy and Riley Cee Dee.
We won in 2017 with one key ruck.

Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Have to make some concessions I guess.
The Oz says we will retain Stack.
They might trade Soldo, in a bundle with elite draft picks, delist Aartsy and Riley Cee Dee.
We won in 2017 with one key ruck.

We were lucky Nank didn't get injured, if he does without adequate replacement, we're done.

And no, Miller nor Ryan are ready for the #1 ruck role.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just how far can the additions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper take Richmond?

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
September 2022

Next season Jack Riewoldt will play at Richmond on a contract as much as $175,000 less than former Tiger Callum Coleman-Jones, who landed at Arden St this year.

For comparison, Riewoldt has three flags, three Coleman Medals, 11 Richmond goalkicking trophies and 755 goals to Coleman-Jones’ 19 games and 16 goals.

As Riewoldt said on Friday, the chase for the flag is one of the primary reasons he is playing on, having confided to good mate Richie Porte on a charity bike ride over summer this would be his last year.

But it is another example of the chasm between the AFL’s haves and have nots, with Riewoldt prepared to play for $300,000 and the Tigers using the 2022 second-round pick they secured for Coleman-Jones to help nab GWS mids Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

The Tigers already look top-four bound next year, and what is to say in 2025, when Dustin Martin’s $1.3 million falls off their books, they won’t go out and find another Tom Lynch-style free agent to succeed him.

So Richmond are the big winners already from the trade period.

And yet surely by the time the Roos are handed a suite of picks from their special assistance request, the AFL will have recognised the extraordinary equalisation challenge the league is facing.

Whether it is a priority selection before the No.1 overall draft selection or a suite of early mid-first-round or end-of-first-round picks, the league will be fully aware of the dangers of doing too little.

The draft and salary cap are supposed to create a boom-bust cycle, but on current draft position the Roos will take picks one and 55 to the draft after a two-win year and Richmond will add Hopper and Taranto and also try to draft a developing young tall.

The AFL will have to think seriously about the Roos securing a pre-draft priority pick to secure the best two kids in the land if they actually want them to improve quickly enough to be competitive as the vast TV rights deal kicks in for 2025.

After all, the AFL is nothing if it is not a money-making organisation and it will be desperate for nine competitive games in coming years before Tasmania enters the competition as early as 2026.

Not only are Gold Coast and GWS gutted by established clubs on a yearly basis —Hopper and Taranto join Suns star Izak Rankine in moving back to traditional teams — the old national draft mechanism just doesn’t work like it used to.

Richmond win the 2017 flag and 12 months later add Gold Coast free agent Lynch.

Then they prey on the Giants salary cap weakness — created by the lack of COLA and huge rival offers for established stars — to drag out Taranto and Hopper.

Hopper wants to come to the bright lights of Richmond and who could blame him after he played in front of crowds of 9010, 7772 and 7338 in three of his last five GWS games.

Some of the Giants’ salary cap issues are self-inflicted, but as the AFL considers North Melbourne’s priority pick submission in Grand Final week Richmond’s trade heist will surely weigh heavily on the minds of the AFL.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/2cbcf5e26fce931a5bab363774a3dd9f
Quick question
In 2010 when we were compared to Fitzroy did we ask or get any concessions?
North put themselves into this situation let them get out of it.
This *smile* every 18 yrs every team should win a flag is all fairy godmother crap.

Reactions: 9 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
They've committed, and so have we. We'll get the deal done. No matter what we pay, the media will say we paid unders and that GWS should have demanded we give more.
So true. Am sick of the rags & shock jocks. Even the AFL site is full of them these days.
No wonder I ditched most of it. Until the official word comes through from the club there's no point getting outraged.

Reactions: 9 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Surely we are taking all of Hoppers $ next yr which should lessen what GWS can ask for in return. After all they have to trade or they break the cap. This works to our advantage.

Reactions: 2 users

outer

Tiger Cub
Oct 25, 2007
How can the media say that Richmond will have to give up the farm for Taranto and Hopper and say that the Dees expect 2 first round picks for Jackson and might give up a second round pick for Grundy whilst Collingwood will pay $300,000 of his salary. I am a bit sick of the media bias and agendas.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

The Kop

Tiger Cub
Jul 15, 2012
Taranto 6 and Hopper no Brownlow votes - fantastic bargaining tool for the club. Second rounder at most for both!

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Ancient history :)
Until Prestia this year we've only had 2 players get 15 or more votes in the last 10yrs

Dusty and Cotch.

Indicates how good these 2 are at their best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Our best weapon is Taranto is 100% leaving and gws can't do a thing about it as not under contract.
Hopper is a salary dump which if he stayed will cause another in the same to go instead.

With dunkley off to Brisbane, it's not possible for lions to pay overs,they just remotely have not got the picks, which will help in our Taranto, Hopper situation.
The last big salary dump had trelor going to dogs for basically Free when u count the picks both ways.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Why am I suspicious when the AFL announce a rule change on the eve of the tigers potentially bringing in two key players.

On the surface it looks like this will help us but I just don’t trust them (AFL). How do others read this?

Reactions: 6 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Why am I suspicious when the AFL announce a rule change on the eve of the tigers potentially bringing in two key players.

On the surface it looks like this will help us but I just don’t trust them (AFL). How do others read this?
Was Dimma's tour of the fARC and it's system a catalyst for this to be fast tracked. I bet Scotty had to fess upto the fact they *smile* us and asked "what can we do to smooth this over". Dimma said "Get us Taranto and Hopper for nix and we're sweet, if not, we'll out your fARCing sham".

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

Sounds good to me.

Pick 3, Taranto and Hopper for our 4th and 5th round picks sounds about right to me.