I'm bored, what games should I watch? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I'm bored, what games should I watch?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yep the side was labouring at times over the last month.

The dogs game was a real red flag. The win over the Hawks paperd over a couple of cracks.

The injuries and illness to 3-4 others PF week obviously didnt help either.

The Eagles did similar last year and fell off after we climbed over them at the G.

Then they lost to the Maggots in appalling fashion overt there to cost themselves a top 4 spot.

The pain of 2018 got us the cup in 2019, especially with the fresh legs heading into the last 6-8 weeks

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Totally agree with that. I was pissed off but nothing like I was after the 2013 EF.
I got into a punch on with my Carlton mate after the game. He was lucky I got to him before the hoard. He was mouthing off in the stands telling all the supporters how weak we are. It hurt but again I wasn't as devastated as 2018, 2013 we were just glad we got there!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just watched Round 8 2017. What a shocker, 2 losses by allowing late goals in 2 weeks. Terrible result.

Looking at the game day thread there was a lot of angst and a lot of anger. At the end of that game you had to think that we were heading down a familiar road of showing promise and ultimately failing.

It seems we did learn from those losses but it was bloody hard to see that at the time.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Still going through 2017, the whole season!

Nice win against North in round 11 at Chernobyl. Great 3rd quarter which shows just how well we can play. Talk of being contenders - could this be the year we take the next step, make the top 4 and win a final?

Hmm, round 12 - a bye.

What happens in bye week? Why, State of Origin of course. Watching the 1986 WA v Vic game from Subiaco. Cracking game and WA are doing very well in the 3rd quarter. 1st and 3rd quarter they use a Sherrin and 2nd and 4th quarters a Burley, which looks a little longer than the Sherrin.

One of the interesting things for me is that we moved to Perth in the mid 60s (before I can remember anything) and back to Melbourne at the start of 1974. When I was a kid going to WANFL games the Burley ball was a brown/tan colour. At first a red ball looked weird when we moved to Melbourne. Subiaco Oval looks a lot like it did when I was a kid (I figure the first time I ever went to the footy would have been at Subi as my whole family are Subi supporters although only me and my brother have any interest). There was the big 3 storey stand at the Subiaco end and stands along the North side if the ground. The rest of the ground has no stands, just a shelter on the South side. Very similar to what I remember.

The game is fast and furious. You almost forget what a gun Rioli was. We'll see who wins.

DS

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Still going through 2017, the whole season!

Nice win against North in round 11 at Chernobyl. Great 3rd quarter which shows just how well we can play. Talk of being contenders - could this be the year we take the next step, make the top 4 and win a final?

Hmm, round 12 - a bye.

What happens in bye week? Why, State of Origin of course. Watching the 1986 WA v Vic game from Subiaco. Cracking game and WA are doing very well in the 3rd quarter. 1st and 3rd quarter they use a Sherrin and 2nd and 4th quarters a Burley, which looks a little longer than the Sherrin.

One of the interesting things for me is that we moved to Perth in the mid 60s (before I can remember anything) and back to Melbourne at the start of 1974. When I was a kid going to WANFL games the Burley ball was a brown/tan colour. At first a red ball looked weird when we moved to Melbourne. Subiaco Oval looks a lot like it did when I was a kid (I figure the first time I ever went to the footy would have been at Subi as my whole family are Subi supporters although only me and my brother have any interest). There was the big 3 storey stand at the Subiaco end and stands along the North side if the ground. The rest of the ground has no stands, just a shelter on the South side. Very similar to what I remember.

The game is fast and furious. You almost forget what a gun Rioli was. We'll see who wins.

DS
If anyone forgets how good Cyril was they only need to ask Dermie!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Watching the ‘95 second semi and 2 things have never changed. The umpires still hated us and Lloyd was a diver even then in his 1st season. He didn’t throw the grass in the air, but he still would have beaten Greg Louganis for the gold medal.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
One of my favourite days at the footy was round 17, 2008 at Docklands against a very strong Brisbane side.

Black, Bradshaw, Charman, Brown, McGrath, Power, Merrett, Drummond, Brennan and more. The Lions were four goals up at three quarter time. It should have been all over... but it wasn't.

Notably, Cotchin (18yo), Riewoldt (19yo) and Edwards (19yo) played that day.

Here is the last five minutes:

And here is the entire second half:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
One of my favourite days at the footy was round 17, 2008 at Docklands against a very strong Brisbane side.

Black, Bradshaw, Charman, Brown, McGrath, Power, Merrett, Drummond, Brennan and more. The Lions were four goals up at three quarter time. It should have been all over... but it wasn't.

Was that when our dominance over them started?

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Was that when our dominance over them started?

I actually looked this up a while ago. Incredibly, they've beaten us just once since 2005, and that was in 2009. There was also a draw in there somewhere. Over the journey, we've played them 31 times and the record stands at 22-8-1. Five of those losses came, not surprisingly, between 2001 and 2004. I doubt we've dominated a club more than the Lions in the past 25 years, notwithstanding their golden period in the early 2000s.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Back to 2017, round 13, another close game we should never have lost. The criticism on the game day thread here is trenchant, and very understandable. Geez, you forget the ups and downs during 2017, funny how a premiership has that effect :D

DS

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Back to 2017, round 13, another close game we should never have lost. The criticism on the game day thread here is trenchant, and very understandable. Geez, you forget the ups and downs during 2017, funny how a premiership has that effect :D

DS
During that period of 4 consecutive losses in 2017 it did look like turning into another lost season.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
During that period of 4 consecutive losses in 2017 it did look like turning into another lost season.

It sure did, my memory has faded of that period but we were doing "Richmondy" at that point. Then losing to the Swans after a couple of wins you wondered whether we could get back on track.

Somehow I doubt they were timing their form but the form returned when it mattered :cupgold

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Watched the 79 grand final the other day and one thing that stood out was how much older the players looked compared to now.

Anyone have stats on the average age back then compared to now?

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004

Remember that game clearly. Exciting stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I just watched that Brisbane game. Sheesh, how did we pluck that one out?
Quite an interesting Richmond team that day. Not only Riewoldt, Edwards and Cotchin, but several "iconic" players of that era for one reason or another.
And then when the video finished, the one YouTube tacked on at the end that it thought I might want to watch next was Round 2, 2014 against Carlton. That goal Martin kicked at the end ... just wow. Reckon the Tiges have had a bit of fun with Tuohy over the years.