Injuries - 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Injuries - 2019

E

easy_tiger

caesar said:
Below is what the AFL site has equated it to in terms of weeks, (once again do they get these from the Club or guess?)

David Astbury Hamstring 1 week
Trent Cotchin Hamstring 1 week
Shane Edwards Hamstring 1 week
Luke English Shoulder 3-5 weeks
Kane Lambert Achilles 2-3 weeks
Callum Moore Ankle 5-7 weeks
Toby Nankervis Adductor 3-5 weeks
Marlion Pickett Finger 7-9 weeks
Alex Rance Knee Season
Jack Riewoldt PCL 3-5 weeks
Jack Ross Ankle 3-5 weeks
Jayden Short Elbow 3-4 weeks
Nick Vlastuin Hip Test

5 weeks for Jack and Nank is not good

Still, I think realistically that would put us at 9 and 8 going into round 18

Win 5 of the last 6 would put us in 5th or 6th.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Named for vfl

Eggy-Smith
Markov
Collier-Dawkins
Turner
Aarts
CCJ
Bolton
Towner
Weller
soldo

(13 out)
Riewoldt
Rance
Astbury
Edwards
Cotchin
Nankervis
Lambert
Ross
Short
Moore
English
Miller ??
Pickett

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
(13 currently out)

Just speculating but expected return by round /opponent.
Divided into 2 group of probables v possibles.

Astbury R15 Stk
Edwards R15 St K
Cotchin R15. StK
Lambert R16. GC Suns
Riewoldt r17. GWS
Nankervis r17. GWS
Ross R 17. GWS
Short R17. GWS
Rance (PF/GF/2020).

English 3-5
Moore 5-7
Pickett. 7-9
Miller ??

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
se7en said:
Serious question
Have we been over training?

No, the reverse and I would say the same for the pre-season from my outsiders point of view. All the talk was about us starting too hot last year and fading, maybe they changed the program and didn't get enough miles into their legs?
The Skip was definitely one that did less in pre-season compared to last.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
caesar said:
No, the reverse and I would say the same for the pre-season from my outsiders point of view. All the talk was about us starting too hot last year and fading, maybe they changed the program and didn't get enough miles into their legs?

Is it fair to say that we under trained this year julius?

To me it looked like we had more days off than on and we disrespected this preseason.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
mad_tiggy911 said:
Is it fair to say that we under trained this year julius?

To me it looked like we had more days off than on and we disrespected this preseason.

You can't accuse the club of disrespecting the pre-season, they are always trying to get better and maybe they tweaked things the wrong way or just dumb bad luck. Granted, the impact injuries you can't avoid but we are also experiencing our fair share of soft tissue injuries which we pretty much avoided the last 2 seasons.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Did we get any injuries out of last night?

With the sneaky way the club keeps mum on this we probably won't find out what they were until the eve of The Aints match!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
caesar said:

Okay, i did hear we were around 3-4 weeks behind most clubs in regards of fitness/ training.
Seems to have came back and bitten us very hard.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Watched the VFL game today at the ground. Very good team effort for a 84 point victory.

There were only 8 Richmond listed players;

- Townsend
- Collier-Dawkins
- Weller
- Aarts
- Eggmolese-Smith
- Markov
- Coleman-Jones
- Bolton

Soldo and Turner had been named in the VFL team but did not play.

From what I could see, none of the abovementioned 8 players was injured today.

That means that there were 15 Richmond listed players that were unavailable this week. I can't recall the club having that many players unavailable before;

- Cotchin
- Edwards
- Astbury
- Ross
- Short
- Rance
- Riewoldt
- Nankervis
- Moore
- Turner
- Lambert
- Soldo
- Pickett
- Miller
- English

Fortunately for our VFL team, there are some very decent VFL listed players.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Crazy really. Cotchin, Edwards, Astbury, Ross, Rance, Reiwlodt, Nanks. Lambert are all walk up starts. These are not fringe 16 to 22 players, these are core. That's a lot of talent out of our side currently.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
glenn downing said:
- Cotchin
- Edwards
- Astbury
- Ross
- Short
- Rance
- Riewoldt
- Nankervis
- Moore
- Turner
- Lambert
- Soldo
- Pickett
- Miller
- English

Fortunately for our VFL team, there are some very decent VFL listed players.

I’m looking forward to including these 6.

- Cotchin
- Edwards
- Astbury
- Ross
- Riewoldt
- Nankervis

E

easy_tiger

The Big Richo said:
That's really a bygone issue, Seven.

These days we put so much science into our approach there is no room for any sort of loading error.

We track every single step they take on GPS, how many kicks they've had, how they sleep, eat, feel and just about anything else you can name.

We have our property guys weight the training footies before each session so they can be thrown out as soon as they absorb moisture so the guys aren't putting any extra load through their kicks.

I think a better theory is we are reaping what we have sowed. I posted early in the season that players like Nank were at huge risk of injury this year, because they have played long minutes in long seasons for a couple of years. When you get a great run with injuries the trade off is your players are carrying a higher load than most others and their long term risk of injury increases accordingly.

Rather than overtrained, I think you'll find we have overplayed.

very interesting post thanks BR.

I had thought that may be the case too. Blokes like Nank, Jack, Rance and Cotchy have done a mountain of work the way we've played and what they've been asked to do for the last 3 years.

can't believe they weigh the footy. amazingly fine tolerances.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
DirtyDogTiger said:
I’m looking forward to including these 6.

- Cotchin
- Edwards
- Astbury
- Ross
- Riewoldt
- Nankervis

Lambert short pickett ?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
tigertim said:
Hope we don’t get any injuries from the bye weekend.....
I heard that some of our players had organised a helichopter ride somewhere for over the break n broke out in a cold sweat. Not many second chances if something goes wrong with one of them things, they tend to park like a rather large rock when the *smile* hits the fan.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Helicopters are safer than you'd think if the engine failed. They can still be 'glided' to a landing, rather than just falling like a stone out of the sky, by feathering the rotor blades (probably more technical than this, my aeronautics knowledge is pretty limited)